Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 8:12 pm

Post subject: Super Duper Important Announcement from WotC!!!
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-01 2:30 am 

Here it is in all its glory:

hint: look at the date of this post, sadly

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Super Duper Important Announcement from WotC!!!
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-01 7:02 am 

That's not even funny. The reserved list deserves to die.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-01 11:00 am 

On that topic, which cards would have a chance of being reprinted in the first place? The Tundra cycle wouldn't, not with the Hallowed Fountain cycle in place. I once opined that I'd most like to see Scarwood Bandits reprinted among them, but with landwalk phased out, that's not so likely anymore.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-01 11:15 am 

Wasn't this the April's Fools joke from a few years ago?

Skyknight wrote:
On that topic, which cards would have a chance of being reprinted in the first place?

There are more than a few cards that might find their way into Commander Pre-cons or other, similar re-print-paths. Doesn't even have to be insane cards, simple things like Blaze of Glory are so great for EDH, but never to be reprinted in paper again...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-02 12:00 pm 

Skyknight wrote:
On that topic, which cards would have a chance of being reprinted in the first place? The Tundra cycle wouldn't

These are the #1 things that would be reprinted, and are virtually the only things that *need* a reprint to help an entire format to survive.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-03 12:12 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
Skyknight wrote:
On that topic, which cards would have a chance of being reprinted in the first place? The Tundra cycle wouldn't
These are the #1 things that would be reprinted, and are virtually the only things that *need* a reprint to help an entire format to survive.
Two entire formats.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-03 4:16 pm 

Which is the other? I meant Legacy.

I figure Vintage is just dead period, which is a shame, although i did get to play an event this weekend. CFB didn't even put one single Vintage side event for a *Legacy* GP which is bad news bears. And i didn't figure EDH needed saving.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-04 8:57 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Which is the other? I meant Legacy.

I figure Vintage is just dead period, which is a shame, although i did get to play an event this weekend. CFB didn't even put one single Vintage side event for a *Legacy* GP which is bad news bears. And i didn't figure EDH needed saving.

Vintage is indeed what I meant. It's not quite dead yet, but is getting pretty close. I guess a lot of the vintage that is played lately is more of the Cube variety than constructed.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-05 4:02 am 

It is dead in the northwest and CFB isn't going to support it in side events at GPs. That counts as dead to me but i'm not going to stop supporting it. Duals alone wouldn't come to close to saving Vintage at all anyway though. Moxes, Lotus, Time Walk, Ancestral, Bazaar, and Workshop are a lot less forgiving than the comparatively cheap dual lands.

We just had a Legacy 5k yesterday with 128 people, they scheduled a Vintage rebound with it and i was 1 of 4 people to sign up so we didn't fire (no proxies, so it could be sanctioned). The event last weekend i played at got 11 people, but allowed 20 proxies and there is a local who generously lends out decks from a massive $300k personal collection and recruited a few folks that way.

The problem with Vintage is that even with proxies, people don't want to play. There's no future in it for most people, no emotional nostalgic attachment, no major events to prepare for. It is a lot different online nowadays, but it is apparent that people are not interested in even medium sized proxy events where they can play their legacy deck + 15-20 proxies. Every vintage deck is very affordable if you can use 20 proxies though. I'm ranting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-05 1:04 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
Every vintage deck is very affordable if you can use 20 proxies though. I'm ranting.

The fact that you basically need to allow 1/3 of everyone's deck to be proxied is the problem with that format. It's just too high-end to be a format for the masses.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-06 2:01 am 

Hell, I'd play Standard more if I didn't have to pay for a third of the deck.

Offline Profile