Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Sep-23 3:44 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is there any rare card more useless than Awakened Amalgam?
AgePosted: 2018-Jan-24 3:31 am 

Considering Wood Elemental is like $16 last time I checked I certainly wouldn't mind opening one.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-24 3:43 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Considering Wood Elemental is like $16 last time I checked I certainly wouldn't mind opening one.

So I was curious, and I found Wood Elemental for around $12-13, but when you consider that an unopened Legends booster is around $250-300 that is not a great deal.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-24 9:22 am 

There are worse cards then Awakened Amalgam. In fact, I've already seen one person playing it in commander. He has a colorless artifact creature deck, and a 4 drop with P/T equal to the number of lands he controls (all his lands are unique) was good enough to make the deck.

My general commander philosophy: Stealing your opponent's degenerate cards is far more satisfying then playing your own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-24 9:37 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
an unopened Legends booster is around $250-300

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-25 11:18 am 

Viperion wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
an unopened Legends booster is around $250-300

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Which is a massive massive rip-off. In terms of the rare slot you've got about a 6% chance of making your money back, plus the odds of pulling both a decently expensive rare and Mana Drain. Compare this to the new Ixalan set where if you buy packs online the rareslot gives you a 22% (assuming you don't pull literally any mythic), plus roughly 10% of getting Ravenous Chupacabra or Merfolk Mistbinder.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-26 6:29 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
What about Felidar Sovereign? It looks cool and all, who's ever going to have that much life when it's out? At best I just have a 4/6 attacker/blocker on turn 6.

I've been in plenty of Commander games where winning with that was simply a matter of keeping it alive until my next turn! :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-29 11:06 pm 

Ahem:

Sorrow's Path

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-29 11:16 pm 

Centurion13 wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
What about Felidar Sovereign? It looks cool and all, who's ever going to have that much life when it's out? At best I just have a 4/6 attacker/blocker on turn 6.

I've been in plenty of Commander games where winning with that was simply a matter of keeping it alive until my next turn! :D

Yeah. Don't worry, that one's definitely fairly formidable. ;) If you've got Teferi's Protection in the same deck you'll have an occasional "I have already won, probably" turn. (Felidar phases in again during your untap step, before your upkeep.)

At the time of writing that I thought the post was satire and I was joining in. Now it's just satirising the original post which seems to be hugely underestimating the value of Awakened Amalgam.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-30 12:38 am 

Malekoda wrote:

Will be played in my Dinosaur tribal deck.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-30 4:58 am 

That red Donate in Eldritch Moon: Harmless Offering

There was pretty much no card in block or standard that you wanted to give your opponent in limited or constructed. While it was nice to have a colour-shifted Donate, it was just a very strange inclusion.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-30 5:32 am 

zimagic wrote:

There was pretty much no card in block or standard that you wanted to give your opponent in limited or constructed. While it was nice to have a colour-shifted Donate, it was just a very strange inclusion.

Flavor > mechanics/playability

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-30 6:04 am 

zimagic wrote:

I got to donate a (mostly) used Demonic Pact once. Was not expected at all. Granted I did pretty poorly the rest of the tournament, but still fun.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-02 6:05 am 

Swmystery wrote:

You've chosen a very odd example here. Even from the same set, there are significantly worse rares- Sphinx's Decree, Silverclad Ferocidons, Admiral's Order...like, Amalgam isn't great but it's hardly the poster child for "useless card in my rare slot".

Literally all of these cards are far better than Amalgam.

Sphinx's Decree is a pretty bad silence impression but it affects all opponents until your next turn. Essentially countering all wraths which cards like heroic intervention and boros charm can't do.

Silverclad Ferocidons is really expensive but this is not in the top 10 worst dinos list and 8 power means Ferocidons can quite effectively trade with most creatures.

Admiral's Order is cancel with upside and basically any removal is better than a horrible vanilla creature.

Swmystery wrote:
As for what to do with Amalgam? Stick a Rancor or Sword of X&Y on it and start beating faces with your undercosted attacker. Or just draw it in the mid to late game in your five-colour deck and enjoy the 8/8 or 10/10 for cheap? That seems pretty good by itself.

You can do this with anything else. The opportunity cost is just massive compared to what you get with amalgam.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-02 9:38 am 

illuknisaa wrote:
Admiral's Order is cancel with upside and basically any removal is better than a horrible vanilla creature.

And Cancel is a common. This is Cancel, and sometimes it's Cancel for U. It's far worse than a 4/4 for 4.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-03 6:17 am 

Viperion wrote:
illuknisaa wrote:

And Cancel is a common. This is Cancel, and sometimes it's Cancel for U. It's far worse than a 4/4 for 4.

That doesn't make any sense.

Cancel costs one mana less and always trades with a card. Same cannot be said for Amalgam. Cancel that sometimes costs only one mana is actually pretty decent option for aggressive decks that play blue (Edric and Marchesa come to mind).

There are very few decks that actually want to play a (sometimes efficient) vanilla beater and those decks have far better options.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next