Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-15 7:16 am

Post subject: AMA for June 2017
AgePosted: 2017-May-22 11:17 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Hey everyone

It's time for another AMA session. Ask me anything you like about Commander, Magic in general, judging, RPGs, music, food, film, my graduate studies, my health, or whatever. No question is off limits (please try to keep it clean so a broader audience can appreciate it), although I'll remind you that SCG generally avoids politics. I'll cull the most interesting questions and answer them in an upcoming article. Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: AMA for June 2017
AgePosted: 2017-May-23 12:49 am 

Hi! Nice to hear from you.

What decks are you currently playing? What are you brewing?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-23 1:13 am 

Hi Sheldon

I hope you're doing well.

I know you have a deck with Adun Oakenshield at the helm. Is there any other of the original Legends that you considered recently as a general? If not really the case, do you have any particular attachment to or anecdote about a card from Legends?

What was your favourite place you had to travel to for the game or felt special for some reason?

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-23 1:47 am 

As a thought experiment, if you were forced to ban one card specifically to appease the "spikey" community in the format, what would it be?

Out of all of the new mechanics that Wizards have added to the game since the inception of EDH, which ones do you think we're the most/least beneficial the format as a whole?

Who is your favorite celebrity/fictional character/historical figure with the name Sheldon?

In your opinion, what is the best way to build a Pheldagrif deck?

Who is your favorite and least favorite superhero and why?

If Wizards asked you to design a commander, what would it look like?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-23 5:10 am 

1. How is everything going with you? And plans with the missus for a summer vacation?

2. Are you the Sean Spicer of EDH?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-23 6:13 am 

Howdy Sheldon, hope you are healing well.

As for questions:
- With the release of Amonkhet, the list of sets (16 core sets and 74 expansions) reaches 90. If we include the Commander releases and portal/starter sets we reach one hundred. If you had to build a deck using only 1 card from each of those sets; what General would you choose and are there any stand out "must haves" for such a deck?

- Have you ever combined EDH with other casual formats (EDH Star, EDH Emperor, EDH Rainbow Stairwell, etc.) and, if yes, which combinations do you think "worked" (or not)?

- If you can say, did WOTC consult the RC before making changes to Commander on MTGO? Was there discussion on separating the format like that?

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2017-May-23 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-23 8:34 am 

Hello Sheldon, hope you're well and rested.

Have you ever thought of associating your decks with certain wines and foodstuffs? If so, what are the mixes you enjoy?
Also, is there a goofy card you love to include in your decks?

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-23 11:05 am 

What are your top 3 favorite commanders from Legends?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-23 2:22 pm 

What is the process that happens when the rules committee is presented with a potential addition or subtraction of a rule or a card being banned or unbanned? About how long is spent deliberating any changes to the commander system?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-23 11:45 pm 

When is Recurring Nightmare getting unbanned?

How much input did the RC have with Commander 2017? What tribes do you want to see?

What are you hoping to get out of Iconic Masters?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-24 12:53 am 

What an interesting opportunity :D

On a recent recording of the Commanderin' Podcast, you mentioned that you wanted to stick a large number of Amonkhet cards into several lists. Are there any particularly good performers? Any cool stories about new cards?

In your Dangers of a Bigger Banlist article, you recently described a list banning the fast rocks as an "extremist banlist." To clarify, my own position on it, is that Sol Ring should remain unbanned, but Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, and Grim Monolith should probably be banned for the health of the format (but that's just like, an opinion, man.) The reason being, that I feel cards shouldn't be banned for their power in a vacuum (where Sol Ring only falls second to Mana Crypt,) but because of the insane power shift in decks running all four; (and without house rules, almost every Commander list should run all four,) due primarily to redundancy being a key factor in deck building (getting to play "4 Rings" is certainly stronger than "3 Rings", and so forth- by a staggering margin in my experience.) As a simple enthusiast of the format, I don't feel that I could rebuke or contest your position- but could you provide some illumination on the matter of it being extreme?

How is your financial situation? I understand that this might be far too personal; but therapy and recovery are not cheap. Would you be opposed to starting a gofundme or something similar, if the need arises? Speaking for myself, you've helped me register in a few tournaments, have always been fair and kind at those events; and your efforts for this particular format have made it a very exciting space to learn more about Magic while also getting to do silly things and utilize obscure cards. I've gotten to learn more about, and participate in high-level Magic, detached from an especially competitive environment in this sandbox. It wouldn't be a problem to contribute, if you need.

These are all sortof long-winded, potentially unclear, and possibly too close to the chest to expect to show up in the article. So I won't salt out if I don't get an answer, but if you atleast get around to reading them Sheldon, it will be appreciated.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-24 9:52 pm 

Hey, Sheldon!

1. Can you tell us a story about the time you got the angriest/saltiest you have ever been in a game of EDH/Magic?

2. Cure Wounds, or Healing Word?

3. Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

W/U/B/R/G Child of Alara -- "Pauper" Dreamcrusher

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-25 2:00 am 

Does Sol Ring fall into the "Problematic Casual Omnipresence" banned list criteria, leaving aside the question of whether it produces too much mana too quickly? I often feel I need to play Sol Ring just to "keep up", which you once described as the key feature of this criteria.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-25 8:04 pm 

Howdy!

If you had to put one card in every deck (maybe one for each color) what card would it be? Or I guess simply, what is your one favorite/pet card from each color?

Bonus Question: Favorite pasta?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-26 12:20 am 

The RC and your close group of friends seem to be pretty tight and share a pretty similiar view of the format. Have your games ever gone turned bad ? If so why and how bad did it get?

Once you have your qualification, what's next for you? Do you have a path or is the degree (masters?) purely for pleasure?

When are you going to talk to Josh & Jimmy about bringing you in on a Game Knights episode of Command Zone?

Hope your recovery is going well. I've had a few in my family get one form of cancer or another and it's never pretty or pleasant. My thoughts are with you and yours.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile