Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-23 7:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-13 1:08 am 

crokaycete wrote:
To trample over a creature, you have to assign lethal damage to it, ignoring any damage prevention effects that may kick in down the road. Typically, that means you only soak an amount of damage equal to the toughness of the creature.

And, untypically, when your trampler also has deathtouch, you assign 1 to the creature (lethal) and trample the remainder.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-13 1:28 am 

zimagic wrote:
crokaycete wrote:
To trample over a creature, you have to assign lethal damage to it, ignoring any damage prevention effects that may kick in down the road. Typically, that means you only soak an amount of damage equal to the toughness of the creature.

And, untypically, when your trampler also has deathtouch, you assign 1 to the creature (lethal) and trample the remainder.

And if the blocker has banding, the defender can choose to assign all the damage to the blocker instead of just lethal, so trample is negated.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-17 7:39 am 

If I have Mirrorworks and Panharmomicon in play, and Breya ETB, I get two triggers of Mirrorworks. Will I have to Pay (2) or (4) to have both triggers go off? I think it's (4) since the (2) is an optional cost payed during the resolution of each trigger, not an activation cost?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-17 8:08 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
If I have Mirrorworks and Panharmomicon in play, and Breya ETB, I get two triggers of Mirrorworks. Will I have to Pay (2) or (4) to have both triggers go off? I think it's (4) since the (2) is an optional cost payed during the resolution of each trigger, not an activation cost?

That's correct. The Panharmonicon causes 2 instances of "You may pay 2 to make a copy" to go on the stack. Then you pay the 2 on resolution for each trigger.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-11 1:27 pm 

If a creature blocking a creature with trample 'disappears' for any reason before damage is dealt to it, does it prevent the creature with trample from being able to deal/assign damage?

-Nahiri, the Lithomancer-Monowhite Soldier/Equipment Deck
-Sharuum the Hegemon-Esper Artifact Themed Deck
-Karador, Ghost Chieftain-Kamigawa Spirit Reanimator Tribal Deck
-Zedruu the Greathearted-Predictability is Weakness Themed Deck
-Nissa, Vastwood Seer/Nissa, Sage Animist-Monogreen Land Based Deck

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-11 1:33 pm 

702.19c If an attacking creature with trample is blocked, but there are no creatures blocking it when damage is assigned, all its damage is assigned to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 3:00 am 

Pretty sure I figured this out, but I just wanted to make sure. If I have Celestial Dawn on the field and then play Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Urborg's static effect is removed by Dawn's modification, correct? I was working on a build of Ayli and was thinking I could make all my lands into Scrublands.

Even if it worked the way I wanted it to, the black mana produced by making all my lands swamps would still be colorless...So either way I'm not getting what i want, I'm just curious how it works, rules-wise.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 7:07 am 

This is my (incorrect)understanding of the interaction:

As both effects are type changing, they both apply in the same layer, which means they will be time stamped. If Dawn entered first, then all lands are plains swamps, if Urborg entered first all lands will be plains.

See below for the correct rules.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Last edited by specter404 on 2017-Jan-31 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 8:39 am 

specter404 wrote:
This is my understanding of the interaction:

As both effects are type changing, they both apply in the same layer, which means they will be time stamped. If Dawn entered first, then all lands are plains swamps, if Urborg entered first all lands will be plains.

This is incorrect. Celestial Dawn and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth fall under the dependency system. Since Celestial Dawn will change the text of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Celestial Dawn will be applied first. After that, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth will be a Plains, and will not add the Swamp subtype to lands.

You can find these numberings as of 2017-01-20.

Quote:
613.7. Within a layer or sublayer, determining which order effects are applied in is sometimes done using a dependency system. If a dependency exists, it will override the timestamp system.

613.7a An effect is said to “depend on” another if (a) it’s applied in the same layer (and, if
applicable, sublayer) as the other effect (see rules 613.1 and 613.3); (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability orboth effects are from characteristic-defining abilities. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

613.7b An effect dependent on one or more other effects waits to apply until just after all of those effects have been applied. If multiple dependent effects would apply simultaneously in this way, they’re applied in timestamp order relative to each other. If several dependent effects form a dependency loop, then this rule is ignored and the effects in the dependency loop are applied in timestamp order.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 9:23 am 

+1 to what SnailSlug said.
Another +1 to him for CompRules references.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 10:10 am 

Thanks Slug, I hate dependencies, very tricky rules interactions but you are 100% correct.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 12:53 pm 

Thanks for all the help, guys! I learned something today.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-24 6:38 am 

I'm noob / first timer, simple one.

Does a planeswalker commander function in command zone (can cast abilities, have loyalty, be targeted by attacks)?

Because
Abilities of emblems, plane cards, vanguard cards, scheme cards, and conspiracy cards function in the command zone. See rule 113, “Emblems”; rule 901, “Planechase”; rule 902, “Vanguard”; rule 904, “Archenemy”; and rule 905, “Conspiracy Draft.”
lists some stuff that can do that, planeswalkers aren't listed there, but the rules also never explicitly says that they can't.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-24 8:24 pm 

NoQ wrote:
I'm noob / first timer, simple one.

Does a planeswalker commander function in command zone (can cast abilities, have loyalty, be targeted by attacks)?

Because
Abilities of emblems, plane cards, vanguard cards, scheme cards, and conspiracy cards function in the command zone. See rule 113, “Emblems”; rule 901, “Planechase”; rule 902, “Vanguard”; rule 904, “Archenemy”; and rule 905, “Conspiracy Draft.”
lists some stuff that can do that, planeswalkers aren't listed there, but the rules also never explicitly says that they can't.

No. Planeswalker abilities only work on the battlefield, like any other permanent. That list calls out all the types of card whose abilities work in the command zone (plus those whose card text overrules this, e.g. Oloro, Derevi, etc.).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-25 1:09 am 

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next