Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Jul-23 7:36 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-13 1:08 am 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
crokaycete wrote:
To trample over a creature, you have to assign lethal damage to it, ignoring any damage prevention effects that may kick in down the road. Typically, that means you only soak an amount of damage equal to the toughness of the creature.


And, untypically, when your trampler also has deathtouch, you assign 1 to the creature (lethal) and trample the remainder.

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-13 1:28 am 

Joined: 2015-Jan-14 2:58 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
zimagic wrote:
crokaycete wrote:
To trample over a creature, you have to assign lethal damage to it, ignoring any damage prevention effects that may kick in down the road. Typically, that means you only soak an amount of damage equal to the toughness of the creature.


And, untypically, when your trampler also has deathtouch, you assign 1 to the creature (lethal) and trample the remainder.


And if the blocker has banding, the defender can choose to assign all the damage to the blocker instead of just lethal, so trample is negated.

_________________
Deepglow Skate
Antis wrote:
I'm seriously suspicious of any card that makes Doubling Season look fair and reasonable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-17 7:39 am 

Joined: 2015-Jan-14 2:58 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
If I have Mirrorworks and Panharmomicon in play, and Breya ETB, I get two triggers of Mirrorworks. Will I have to Pay (2) or (4) to have both triggers go off? I think it's (4) since the (2) is an optional cost payed during the resolution of each trigger, not an activation cost?

_________________
Deepglow Skate
Antis wrote:
I'm seriously suspicious of any card that makes Doubling Season look fair and reasonable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-17 8:08 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Aug-20 7:49 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Hampshire
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
If I have Mirrorworks and Panharmomicon in play, and Breya ETB, I get two triggers of Mirrorworks. Will I have to Pay (2) or (4) to have both triggers go off? I think it's (4) since the (2) is an optional cost payed during the resolution of each trigger, not an activation cost?

That's correct. The Panharmonicon causes 2 instances of "You may pay 2 to make a copy" to go on the stack. Then you pay the 2 on resolution for each trigger.

_________________
"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-11 1:27 pm 

Joined: 2016-Aug-15 1:21 pm
Age: Drake
If a creature blocking a creature with trample 'disappears' for any reason before damage is dealt to it, does it prevent the creature with trample from being able to deal/assign damage?

_________________
Commanders:
-The Ur-Dragon-Five Color Dragon Tribal Deck
-Nekusar, the Mindrazer-Hardcore Mill Deck
-Nahiri, the Lithomancer-Monowhite Soldier/Equipment Deck
-Sharuum the Hegemon-Esper Artifact Themed Deck
-Karador, Ghost Chieftain-Kamigawa Spirit Reanimator Tribal Deck
-Zedruu the Greathearted-Predictability is Weakness Themed Deck
-Nissa, Vastwood Seer/Nissa, Sage Animist-Monogreen Land Based Deck


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-11 1:33 pm 

Joined: 2012-Oct-22 5:14 am
Age: Drake
702.19c If an attacking creature with trample is blocked, but there are no creatures blocking it when damage is assigned, all its damage is assigned to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.

_________________
Current EDH decks: Kaalia of the Vast; Lazav, Dimir Mastermind; Marath, Will of the Wild; Cromat


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 3:00 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Jul-28 8:30 am
Age: Dragon
Pretty sure I figured this out, but I just wanted to make sure. If I have Celestial Dawn on the field and then play Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Urborg's static effect is removed by Dawn's modification, correct? I was working on a build of Ayli and was thinking I could make all my lands into Scrublands.

Even if it worked the way I wanted it to, the black mana produced by making all my lands swamps would still be colorless...So either way I'm not getting what i want, I'm just curious how it works, rules-wise.

_________________
specter404 wrote:
Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 7:07 am 

Joined: 2014-Jul-26 11:35 am
Age: Elder Dragon
This is my (incorrect)understanding of the interaction:

As both effects are type changing, they both apply in the same layer, which means they will be time stamped. If Dawn entered first, then all lands are plains swamps, if Urborg entered first all lands will be plains.

See below for the correct rules.

_________________
Favourite Deck:
Ghost Council of Orzhova

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy


Last edited by specter404 on 2017-Jan-31 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 8:39 am 

Joined: 2009-Apr-02 11:09 pm
Age: Drake
specter404 wrote:
This is my understanding of the interaction:

As both effects are type changing, they both apply in the same layer, which means they will be time stamped. If Dawn entered first, then all lands are plains swamps, if Urborg entered first all lands will be plains.


This is incorrect. Celestial Dawn and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth fall under the dependency system. Since Celestial Dawn will change the text of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Celestial Dawn will be applied first. After that, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth will be a Plains, and will not add the Swamp subtype to lands.

You can find these numberings as of 2017-01-20.

Quote:
613.7. Within a layer or sublayer, determining which order effects are applied in is sometimes done using a dependency system. If a dependency exists, it will override the timestamp system.

613.7a An effect is said to “depend on” another if (a) it’s applied in the same layer (and, if
applicable, sublayer) as the other effect (see rules 613.1 and 613.3); (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability orboth effects are from characteristic-defining abilities. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

613.7b An effect dependent on one or more other effects waits to apply until just after all of those effects have been applied. If multiple dependent effects would apply simultaneously in this way, they’re applied in timestamp order relative to each other. If several dependent effects form a dependency loop, then this rule is ignored and the effects in the dependency loop are applied in timestamp order.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 9:23 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2006-Dec-31 12:26 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
+1 to what SnailSlug said.
Another +1 to him for CompRules references.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 10:10 am 

Joined: 2014-Jul-26 11:35 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Thanks Slug, I hate dependencies, very tricky rules interactions but you are 100% correct.

_________________
Favourite Deck:
Ghost Council of Orzhova

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Jan-31 12:53 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Jul-28 8:30 am
Age: Dragon
Thanks for all the help, guys! I learned something today.

_________________
specter404 wrote:
Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-24 6:38 am 

Joined: 2017-Feb-24 6:33 am
Age: Hatchling
I'm noob / first timer, simple one.

Does a planeswalker commander function in command zone (can cast abilities, have loyalty, be targeted by attacks)?

Because
Abilities of emblems, plane cards, vanguard cards, scheme cards, and conspiracy cards function in the command zone. See rule 113, “Emblems”; rule 901, “Planechase”; rule 902, “Vanguard”; rule 904, “Archenemy”; and rule 905, “Conspiracy Draft.”
lists some stuff that can do that, planeswalkers aren't listed there, but the rules also never explicitly says that they can't.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-24 8:24 pm 

Joined: 2015-Jan-14 2:58 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
NoQ wrote:
I'm noob / first timer, simple one.

Does a planeswalker commander function in command zone (can cast abilities, have loyalty, be targeted by attacks)?

Because
Abilities of emblems, plane cards, vanguard cards, scheme cards, and conspiracy cards function in the command zone. See rule 113, “Emblems”; rule 901, “Planechase”; rule 902, “Vanguard”; rule 904, “Archenemy”; and rule 905, “Conspiracy Draft.”
lists some stuff that can do that, planeswalkers aren't listed there, but the rules also never explicitly says that they can't.


No. Planeswalker abilities only work on the battlefield, like any other permanent. That list calls out all the types of card whose abilities work in the command zone (plus those whose card text overrules this, e.g. Oloro, Derevi, etc.).

_________________
Deepglow Skate
Antis wrote:
I'm seriously suspicious of any card that makes Doubling Season look fair and reasonable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Commander FAQ and Dumb Question Station
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-25 1:09 am 

Joined: 2017-Feb-24 6:33 am
Age: Hatchling
Thanks!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: