Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-18 11:26 am

Post subject: GP Atlanta
AgePosted: 2015-Sep-13 11:33 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

For those of you who haven't already heard, I'll be guesting at GP Atlanta's Commander Celebration. Check out the website (http://gpatlanta.starcitygames.com/) for all the details. I hope to see as many forums regulars as possible. As you can see, my time is pretty thoroughly booked, but I imagine that my time playing in the Command Zone will probably run past what's scheduled. I sure hope I have time between now and then to update my decks with BFZ cards.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GP Atlanta
AgePosted: 2015-Sep-18 4:52 am 

So I started looking into this, and I think I'm going to try to make it. I don't know if I'm exactly a forum regular (especially as much anymore), but it sounds like a fun time and I haven't traveled in a while.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-18 5:26 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Segrus wrote:
So I started looking into this, and I think I'm going to try to make it. I don't know if I'm exactly a forum regular (especially as much anymore), but it sounds like a fun time and I haven't traveled in a while.

I intend to make it an even more fun time than it sounds.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-18 6:21 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Segrus wrote:

Well, honestly as long I'm getting to play some Commander in a better than flat competitive environment I'm cool. This sounds like there will be plenty of opportunity for such.

It'll also be nice to set multiple EDH decks on the table and not have everyone give me a look like I'm obsessed and possessed. I swear having over twenty EDH decks is normal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-19 6:47 pm 

Having just recently moved to Atlanta, I was super excited when I saw that the Grand Prix was going to have a Commander celebration happening. I've already blocked off some time from work to be able to participate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-24 10:17 am 

Sheldon wrote:
Segrus wrote:

I now have this weird picture in my mind of Sheldon as the Archenemy, also using Planechase and taking on three to four other people at once.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 1:52 pm 

So I did manage to get the time to make the trip to GP Atlanta with my wife. She's been practicing playing her Trostani deck, and we brought her a Scion of the Ur-Dragon along with us as backup in case she gets bored with Trostani. I'm lugging around Heroic Thraximundar, Noyan Dar, Polukranos Green Devotion, Anax and Cymede, some other deck I can't remember right now, and my Faust, Macar, and Myself deck.

I actually set aside some time to work on my Faustian, King Macar deck. I don't sport any actual basic lands and instead use creature tokens: Gold Token Pics. They all didn't get this treatment, but it's a lot of work to convert them (to me, who doesn't do this sort of thing all the time). Hopefully it's appreciated.

Looking forward to getting in some games!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 2:02 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

This reminds me to mention to you all that if we meet in Atlanta, make sure I know both your real name and your forum handle so that I can associate the two. That way, next week when we tell everyone else about what a great time we had, I can put the face and experience to the forum name.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 2:07 pm 

Wish I could have made the time, but alas I wont be there.

Not sure how welcome I would be, currently, if I told you my forum name during an in-person game ;)

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 2:07 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
This reminds me to mention to you all that if we meet in Atlanta, make sure I know both your real name and your forum handle so that I can associate the two. That way, next week when we tell everyone else about what a great time we had, I can put the face and experience to the forum name.

I should have thought to bring a Dread Specter card with me, modified with a mustache (which I need to put as my avatar again). That way I could sign it with both my name and handle, and it'll be harder to forget.

Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will be carrying that terrible card around, haha.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 12:55 am 

Segrus wrote:
Gold Token Pics.
These are sweet. Some tips for painting nice-looking metalics with crappy metalic paint (and I think basically all metallic paint looks crappy):

1. Do an underpainting in a similar color first.
2. If you can, paint a metalic gradient into the underpainting. For gold, I like to use a midtone brown mixed with a touch of black for the dark color and a light yellow for the highlight. (Just google "gold gradient" if you aren't sure what that looks like.)
3. Thin everything. Using thin paints will make your gradient smoother if you are willing to do a few quick coats and it will help the metal flakes spread more evenly when you apply them over the top instead of clumping and showing your brush strokes.
Sheldon wrote:
I hope to see as many forums regulars as possible.
I'll be there, but I'll be leading side events or coverage most of the weekend, so I probably won't have a chance to play any games.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 4:49 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Segrus wrote:
Gold Token Pics.
These are sweet. Some tips for painting nice-looking metalics with crappy metalic paint (and I think basically all metallic paint looks crappy):

1. Do an underpainting in a similar color first.
2. If you can, paint a metalic gradient into the underpainting. For gold, I like to use a midtone brown mixed with a touch of black for the dark color and a light yellow for the highlight. (Just google "gold gradient" if you aren't sure what that looks like.)
3. Thin everything. Using thin paints will make your gradient smoother if you are willing to do a few quick coats and it will help the metal flakes spread more evenly when you apply them over the top instead of clumping and showing your brush strokes.
Sheldon wrote:
I hope to see as many forums regulars as possible.
I'll be there, but I'll be leading side events or coverage most of the weekend, so I probably won't have a chance to play any games.

Thanks! Charcoal, pen, and pencil is more my forte, so the whole paint thing is very new still. If I hadn't started so late working on these--some 16 tokens or so completed since Sunday--I could have spent more time looking up how to do it right.

I'll have to try catching you between events or something.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 5:19 am 
EDH Rules Committee

MRHblue wrote:
Wish I could have made the time, but alas I wont be there.

Not sure how welcome I would be, currently, if I told you my forum name during an in-person game ;)

You'd be completely welcome. Even if we disagree on one particular thing, you've been a great supporter of the format. Of course, I'd count your deck :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-12 5:57 am 

No problem :) I have never personally played any number but 99 + Commander.

Have a good time in ATL, we expect lots of game threads!

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 5:55 am 

Presently in the command zone at GP Atlanta if anyone wants to start a game.

Offline Profile