Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-19 7:28 pm

Post subject: intreped's "Fixed" Cards
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-18 5:18 pm 

Master Warcraft {2}{R/W}{R/W}
Instant
Cast Master Warcraft only before attackers are declared.
You choose which creatures attack this turn and how those creatures attack. You choose which creatures block this turn and how those creatures block.

Primeval Titan {4}{G}{G}
Creature - Giant
Trample
Whenever Primeval Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, put two 0/1 green Bird creature tokens onto the battlefield named Birds of Paradise. They have flying and "{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
6/6

Patron of the Kitsune {4}{W}{W}
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Fox offering
Whenever Patron of the Kitsune enters the battlefield or one or more creatures attack, gain 1 life for each attacking creature.
5/6

Rain of Gore {B}{R}
Enchantment
If a spell or ability would cause its controller to gain life, that player loses that much life instead.
If damage dealt by a source with lifelink would cause its controller to gain life, that player loses that much life instead.

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn {15}
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn can't be countered.
When you cast Emrakul, take an extra turn after this one.
Flying, protection from colored spells
When Emrakul is put into a graveyard from anywhere, its owner shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.
15/15

Reconnaissance {W}
Enchantment
At the beginning of each combat damage step, you may untap any number of attacking creatures you control and remove them from combat.

Gustcloak Savior {4}{W}
Creature - Bird Soldier
Flying
At the beginning of combat each damage step, you may untap any number of attacking creatures you control and remove them from combat.
3/4

Stonebrow, Krosan Hero {3}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature - Centaur Warrior
Trample
Attacking creatures you control with trample get +2/+2.
4/4

Grafdigger's Cage {1}
Artifact
Creature cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or libraries.
Players can't cast cards in graveyards or libraries.
A player who searched his or her library this turn can't put a creature onto the battlefield or cast a spell.

Mindlock Orb {3}{U}
Artifact
A player who searched his or her library this turn can't put a nonland permanent onto the battlefield or cast a spell.

Stranglehold {3}{R}
Enchantment
An opponent who searched his or her library this turn can't put a nonland permanent onto the battlefield or cast a spell.
As long as it's an opponent's turn, and it was that same player's turn last turn, he or she can't put a nonland permanent onto the battlefield or cast a spell.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: intreped's "Fixed" Cards
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-18 5:29 pm 

These are cards the way I would want to play with them/against them. In some cases I "fixed" them to make them more intuitive, in others I wanted them to be more fair. In the case of Reconnaissance, I feel the fix does both. It allows first strike creatures to deal their damage and then retreat to safety, just as before, but it doesn't grant vigilance to all of your creatures and grant super-vigilance to your creatures that already have vigilance and a tap ability (Tariel, Reckoner of Souls, Stonehewer Giant, etc.).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-18 6:29 pm 

Akroma, Angel of Fury {5RRR}
Legendary Creature - Angel
Akroma, Angel of Fury can't be countered.
Flying, trample, haste, protection from white and from blue
{R}: Akroma, Angel of Fury gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
6/6

Primeval Titan {4GG}
Creature - Giant
Trample
Whenever Primeval Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, you may search your library for a Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, or Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
6/6

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-18 8:09 pm 

The hell, Intreped? I thought you were cool. Why're you messin' with my sweet, sweet reconnaissance action? Okay, okay. Maaayybe it makes Serra's Blessing obsolete in any reasonable situation, but it does also save creatures from removal with an "attacking creature" clause. Well, I suppose if that's all it did, there wouldn't be a problem.

There's no need to change gustcloak savior, though. It's an ability that triggers on a creature being blocked (untap now or not at all), and no vigilance if you're not blocked, so it's nowhere near as messed up as reconnaissance. Really, you'd just be going against the flavor of the gustcloak dudes.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 12:00 am 

intreped wrote:
Rain of Gore {B}{R}
Enchantment
If a spell or ability would cause its controller to gain life, that player loses that much life instead.
If damage dealt by a source with lifelink would cause its controller to gain life, that player loses that much life instead.

I'm not seeing a difference here. Is it just the clarification of what happens when lifelink would gain a player life?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 12:15 am 

Lifelink doesn't cause a player to gain life anymore. It just modifies the game rules about what happens when the object deals damage. It isn't actually affected by Rain of Gore. (When Lifelink was triggered, it was affected.)

Unrelated note: That Stonebrow doesn't work. All of your creatures that needed that +2 toughness to live would die during second main phase. You could phrase it, "Whenever Stonebrow attacks, each creature with trample you control gets +2/+2 until end of turn." This would let you stack other abilities that gives attackers trample below it, which mostly fixes the problem.

Alternatively, "During your turn, creatures with trample you control get +2/+2" also works but creates a problem if somebody kills Stonebrow part way through your turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 12:31 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Lifelink doesn't cause a player to gain life anymore.

wha?

That's a bizarre interaction. And one it looks like they're doing some research into (and who knows if that will change something or not.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 12:33 am 

crokaycete wrote:
Lifelink doesn't cause a player to gain life anymore. It just modifies the game rules about what happens when the object deals damage. It isn't actually affected by Rain of Gore. (When Lifelink was triggered, it was affected

Say what?!?!? WTF does lifelink not work with this? That is counter-intuitive and against the intended nature of the card. Wouldn't this be a case of a functionality change due to a new rule? As a red-blooded American I demand change and nuts to those who don't think the same as me!! :evil: I'm going to call the WotC support line and yell at the newest CSR they have!

I'm upset because I didn't know about this card and now I want it and I want it to work with lifelink! :P

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 1:17 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Lifelink DOES still cause a player to gain life. The difference is, though, that when a player gains life via lifelink, it's not a spell or ability that's doing it. It's combat damage. Therefore, Rain of Gore doesn't replace it these days.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 1:35 am 

Part of me says it's a cool little (probably temporary) exploit that I could use with it in EDH.

.. the part that is what remains of my sanity is telling me not to do it, as I'd have to explain the difference to the other people I play with.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 3:49 am 

Why does Patron of the Kitsune suddenly have a titan template (and one that will almost never come up because it would have to ETB during combat)?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 3:52 am 

It has Fox Offering - so it's quite possible it will show up during combat ([type] Offering allows you to do the offering at instant speed)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 9:00 am 

Primeval Titan {4}{G}{G}
Creature - Giant
Trample
Whenever Primeval Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal two land cards. Put those cards onto the battlefield tapped and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. Then shuffle your library.
6/6

Relying on basics takes away the uniqueness of his ability, which kinda makes him just more pointless ramp. His still lets him be used in decks with heavy/all nonbasic lands, but gets rid of the tutor part of the effect, which was what made him silly.

Mindlock Orb 5
Artifact
If the effect of a spells or ability would move cards from a library to anywhere, instead it doesn't.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 12:16 pm 

I don't think "move cards" is defined anywhere. You can "put cards" into your hand (Telling Time) or graveyard (Mind Funeral, Legend Rule) or you can "draw cards" (obviously), but moving cards is not something Magic does.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-19 4:55 pm 

Rollcage wrote:
The hell, Intreped? I thought you were cool.
Well I guess I showed you, then.

No, I love Reconnaissance too, it's just obviously not working as intended. I mostly agree that the flavor should allow you to use it in response to a card that targets attacking creatures (Arrow Volley Trap, for example), but I feel it's an acceptable loss in the service of making it as simple rules-wise as possible.

Gustcloak deserves a little boost, in my opinion. Giving it the ability to deal first strike and then vanish seems acceptable. Although I have to admit that even without the boost I've put it into 2 of my decks (Yore-Tiller Nephilim and Isperia the Inscrutable), so maybe you're right that I should leave it alone; it's strong enough.
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Why does Patron of the Kitsune suddenly have a titan template (and one that will almost never come up because it would have to ETB during combat)?
Carthain is correct. It always seemed to me like it should be usable as a trap, because of offering. It's also fewer triggers to click through on MODO.
kaldare wrote:
Whenever Primeval Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal two land cards. Put those cards onto the battlefield tapped and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. Then shuffle your library.
I like it more than I like the original Primeval Titan, but I disagree that the tutor was the main thing that made it too good. It's just that the ramp it provided was an untouchable advantage, that the only effective way to combat it was to either steal Titan or cast Jokulhaups. If you cast Armageddon, the Titan player comes out ahead by attacking again. Your Titan doesn't solve that problem. The advantage mine generates can be reset by a simple Blasphemous Act.
kaldare wrote:
Mindlock Orb 5
Artifact
If the effect of a spells or ability would move cards from a library to anywhere, instead it doesn't.
This is interesting. So I can Liliana Vess or Enlightened Tutor, but not Entomb or Demonic Tutor or Tooth and Nail or Jester's Cap? What exactly is gained in the format by easing the restriction this way? And it doesn't let a player use Oath of Lieges or Yavimaya Elder, which what the main reason for my "fixed" version.
Viperion wrote:
moving cards is not something Magic does.
No, Skullbriar, the Walking Grave has made use of the word "move" before, so it's definitely fair game.

Offline Profile