Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-26 6:59 am

Post subject: Judge Foils for EDH
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-01 11:47 pm 

Quite a lot of judges have EDH decks, and some even enthusiastically play at major events.

So a loty of us have a fairly vested interest in being able to get judge foils that are playable EDH cards.

So I thought a little discussion might be welcome as to what we'd really like to see come out in shiny versions to keep our EDH decks happy, might be a pointless waste of time that'd keep us occupied in meaningless but enjoyable argument for a while...

I've never really made any effort to figure out how Judge foils are chosen each season, but Larabee probably knows, and has even ventured on here from time to time, and has definitely been seen playing relatively regularly.

For my part, I have 2 approaches for my desires:
1) My decks I want to be able to foil more completely:
Demonic Tutor was a great recent addition, but I've not got my hands on one yet. Maybe GP Chicago? (Did anyone work GP:LA and get one?)
Maze of Ith (while I SO wish this card was banned in EDH, until it is, I need some foils)
Volrath's Stronghold
Original Elder Dragons (I'm slightly embarassed by having so many EDH decks with no generals that are real EDs, I'm sure that would help me. Even if Nicol Bolas was already Timeshifted and brought out the Vault)

2) I have an all foil deck (Teneb) built with the additional restriction of only new card face cards. So for that I'd really like:
Genesis
Kor Haven
Tower of the Magistrate

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-01 11:57 pm 

It would be nice to have more EDH promos. But as it is, Judge promos are really hard to come by for non-Judges ($$$). The only really cheap one is the Regrowth, but all of the ones I want (Exalted Angel, Eternal Dragon, Sol Ring, Demonic Tutor, Counterspell, Vampiric Tutor, Decree of Justice) are all fairly expensive.

norbert88

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 3:34 am 

You can get dragon or decree for something like 15€. The others are expensive I agree.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 5:55 am 

i actually think foils are (with the exception being most dragons from FtV:D) fugly. I'm happy hinder is textless and not textless + foil. And a unlimited or even beta sol ring has a MUCH higher pimp-value than the horrific new-borderd judge foil.

The player's reward WoG and Damnation would look better non-foil, as the foiling covers up the artwork.

Give me more unglued style lands
textless mirage diamonds
extended art coalition relic or darksteel ingot

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 3:10 pm 

24x30cl wrote:
i actually think foils are... fugly...(A)n unlimited or even beta sol ring has a MUCH higher pimp-value than the horrific new-borderd judge foil.

This is where promo cards get a little sticky. I personally love foils. While I am not a fan of the post 8th frames, I really like the new silver artifacts. Foil Sol Ring, in my opinion, looks so hot. There is also something special about a Textless, Black Boarder, FOIL Wrath of God. Some people love Foriegn cards, others love foils and some like non-foil textless. I am part of the foil crew and I personally dislike foriegn cards. WotC cannot please everyone with their promos but what really gets me upset is the consistantly poor choices they have made. For example; the new art for the Stick *Scepter* is ugly, making Resurection a FNM instead of something good like Dread Return, making "extended art" cards like Factory and Rakdos Guild Mage *I'd rather they were just textless,* having the Alara pre-release and release promo being the same card, etc. There are so many staples to this game that have yet to be taken advantage of and so many unused/hardly used cards they turn into promos.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 5:08 pm 

Token wrote:
You can get dragon or decree for something like 15€. The others are expensive I agree.

Beside Decree and Counterspell being BIN on eBay at less than $15 shipped at the moment, if you deem these expensive cards, I somehow doubt you're seriously in the business of trying to foil out your decks...

24x30cl wrote:
I actually think foils are... fugly...(A)n unlimited or even beta sol ring has a MUCH higher pimp-value than the horrific new-borderd judge foil.

Unlimited is white bordered, and has zero pimp value for it. I admit in my type 1 deck, I play an Alpha Sol Ring to match my power and not the foil to match the rest of the deck... Still, in Europe, first edition revised in French/German/Italian is easily available black bordered...but although I like it, I don't think I rate my Sonnenring above my judge foil ones. They really do look good. And I've finally got round to admitting to myself that I no prefer the new card frames.

Still, not one on topic response as yet...quite impressive.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-03 3:50 pm 

Interesting question.

I suppose if this is pie-in-the-sky dreaming, there are no cards for which I long for upgraded layouts and artwork more than the original dual lands.

Amongst other popular EDH cards only available in old borders, I'll second Nomad's nominations of Genesis and Volrath's Stronghold and also add Survival of the Fittest to that list.

If the judge foils are ever expanded to include cards already available in new borders, Gifts Ungiven, Life from the Loam, and Solemn Simulacrum are three popular EDH cards for which I'd enjoy having alternate art, though I do love the original art for Gifts and Loam. (And since some groups ban Gifts and/or Loam, maybe those are less exciting.)

Judge foils for the original elder dragons would be a nice nod to the judge EDH community, but given so few folks play them, they wouldn't be high on my list. And unlike most of the other cards listed above, these wouldn't garner much interest for other formats.

Lastly, given the number of judge headaches it has caused, Humility would be an amusing judge foil with some EDH interest.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-06 7:08 am 

Just thought of another while tinkering with my decks last night: I'd love to see Yavimaya Elder given the new frame / new art treatment -- though I'd have to insist that the new art still look like my dad. :D Not sure this guy would be as thrilling to get as compensation for many judges, but I love him.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-06 7:51 am 

That Guy wrote:
Just thought of another while tinkering with my decks last night: I'd love to see Yavimaya Elder given the new frame / new art treatment -- though I'd have to insist that the new art still look like my dad. :D Not sure this guy would be as thrilling to get as compensation for many judges, but I love him.

Judge Foils are usually rare, sometimes very old useful uncommons (even Lightning Bolt was put out as a Judge Foil). Yavimaya Elder's probably a bit too new for that still, particularly since it comes in foil already, but it would be very suitable for an FNM or Gateway Promo, which are never rare.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-06 8:08 am 

Nomad wrote:
Judge Foils are usually rare, sometimes very old useful uncommons (even Lightning Bolt was put out as a Judge Foil). Yavimaya Elder's probably a bit too new for that still, particularly since it comes in foil already, but it would be very suitable for an FNM or Gateway Promo, which are never rare.

Oh duh, I completely forgot about Mr. Elder's commoness. So that's why I've got 20+ of this guy floating around... *bonks head*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-06 12:03 pm 

Force of Will
Maze of Ith
Tolerian Academy
Alt art Bob (like grim)

That's all I want :)

The bloodstained mire makes me angry though, I would be "ok" with non-new art if they at least used the uncensored version, but they just straight up reprinted it, what a waste

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-06 4:24 pm 

urielxvi wrote:
Tolarian Academy
Force of Will

I would happily welcome both of these!

urielxvi wrote:
Maze of Ith

This card has a unique ability to instantly turn an exciting EDH game into a plodding affair, and as such I'd much sooner see it get the ax than the judge foil treatment. But if there's anything I hate more than the card's functions, it's the ugly artwork and washed out cardface.....so if it must stay, then I'd second this nomination to give it a serious facelift.

urielxvi wrote:
Alt art Bob (like grim)

I'm actually pretty opposed to an alternate art Confidant, or any of the Invitational cards (except for the special case of Kai's card). I think it kinda sucks that they've upstaged Pikula's original with a new one that doesn't feature his image. Moreover, in the specific case of Dark Confidant, I really like the original art and think they'd have a tough time beating it -- I mean, the original takes one of the cleanest-cut Pros and turns him into an emo raver. How could they top that? :P

urielxvi wrote:
The bloodstained mire makes me angry though, I would be "ok" with non-new art if they at least used the uncensored version, but they just straight up reprinted it, what a waste

I was completely unaware of the new Mire and the original art until seeing your post, but after skimming the interwebs, I wholeheartedly agree. The uncensored artwork is not gonna give kiddies nightmares any more than a typical black card, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to bring out the original. I might even prefer that to all-new artwork just for the backstory. As is, I guess it's still an upgrade, but still a wasted opportunity. :cry:

Offline Profile