Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 8:45 pm

Post subject: EDH league rules list ... thoughts?
AgePosted: 2011-Jul-25 5:02 pm 

Here's the rules we're using. Started last week but I couldn't make it. It alternates heads-up and multiplayer from week to week. Only official banned list for both. The points list seems to favor aggro over all else. What do you think?

Tuesday's is multiplayer, and I already know what I'm bringing. It's going to win, a lot.

Game Preserve Commander EDH League III
Lafayette, IN
Tuesdays, at 5:00 pm, July 19th - October 18th, 2011

Entry Fee: Free!

Play will alternate between 1-on-1 and group games, on a weekly basis. Results will be recorded on an EDH league score sheet each week...
1 EDH point for attending each week.
3 EDH points for a match win.
1 EDH point for casting your Commander from the Command Zone 3 times in one game.
1 EDH point for killing a player with Infect.
1 EDH point for milling a player.
1 EDH point for attacking with one or more creatures with power over 50 in a single combat step.
1 EDH point for eliminating each player in a group game.
1 EDH point for killing 3 or more Commanders of your opponents during a single group game.
1 EDH point for being the first player eliminated in a group game of 4 or more players.
2 EDH points for eliminating all players (including yourself) in a group game of 4 or more players.
1 EDH point for surviving being attacked for lethal damage in a group game of 4 or more players.
1 EDH point for saving a player from losing the game in a group game of 4 or more players.
1 EDH poing for being the first player to destroy an opponent's permanent in a group game of 4 or more players.

The player with the most EDH points at the end of the league will earn 300 Frequent Buyer points redeemable at the Game Preserve. Second place will earn 150 Freq points. Each week we will give out some of our extra prize foils to participants and/or winners.

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: EDH league rules list ... thoughts?
AgePosted: 2011-Jul-25 5:18 pm 

FinalLogic wrote:
1 EDH point for killing a player with Infect.
1 EDH point for milling a player.

One of these things is harder than the other.... :shock: :shock:

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-25 5:23 pm 

FinalLogic wrote:
1 EDH poing for being the first player to destroy an opponent's permanent in a group game of 4 or more players.

I would change this to "nonland" or even "nonmana." Hello, Strip Mine. Hello, Nature's Claim.

Also, playing tournament 1vs1 with only the multiplayer blacklist cards banned is a well-known Bad Idea™.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-25 5:25 pm 

Indeed, and I plan to take full advantage. Wish I hadn't missed 1v1 week 1. I'd have won all my games. I want those frequent-buyer points.

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 3:05 am 

How do you judge what constitutes milling? Who gets the point if someone else mills 90 cards then you mill the last card in a library? Do you count library exiling (Zeddruu + Thought Lash).

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 5:51 am 

Seems like this list isn't very well thought-out. It promotes winning matches and clearing out the tables quickly, since you'll not only be locking up easy points with an early combo, but you'll be denying your opponents points that would otherwise stack up in a longer game.

My guess is that the spikes are going to come out of the woodwork for this, and the aggro players are going to take about two weeks to realize that the field is slanted in the wrong direction.

I'll be interested to hear how this goes.

--->DJ

Co-Author, Dear Azami - StarCityGames.com

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-07 2:47 am 

All I can see is hermit druids.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-07 3:26 pm 

Tantarus wrote:
All I can see is hermit druids.

To be fair, that deck costs a fortune to make (All nonbasics, 5 colors, I think it has about 8 duals, 10 fetchlands, plus Survival, and the other nonbasics..)

But I'd suggest using the current french or german highlander ban list, with slight modifications if you plan on integrating 1v1 play heavily into your league.

I'd personally use the following modifactions from the current highlander list.. with the following banned generals..

* Ancestral Recall
* Balance
* Black Lotus
* Chaos Orb
* Falling Star
* Fastbond
* Flash
* Grindstone
* Library of Alexandria
* Lion's Eye Diamond
* Mana Crypt
* Mana Vault
* Mind Twist
* Mox Emerald
* Mox Jet
* Mox Pearl
* Mox Ruby
* Mox Sapphire
* Skullclamp
* Sol Ring
* Tolarian Academy
* Time Vault
* Time Walk
* Tinker
* Hermit Druid
* Mana Drain
* Bazaar of Baghdad
* Mishra's Workshop
* Survival of the Fittest
+Un-set cards sans basic lands and all ante/dexterity cards.

This should be enough to sufficiently keep most combo decks to a level where they'll not be completely degenerate without killing them. You'll want combo decks to balance out the big ramp decks, to keep a healthy, honest environment that's welcoming for all kinds of magic players. Mana rocks are a huge part of multiplayer edh, they are however, far, far too powerful for 1v1 play, Going up against a turn 1 sol ring in 1v1 is an incredibly miserable feeling. The rest of the cards are banned for their power level for being too powerful (Skullclamp, Academy, Tinker) or their application within certain combos being too unhealthy for certain decks (Hermit Druid, Time Vault)

I'd also seriously consider banning the following generals:

Zur the Enchanter
Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Braids, Cabal Minion
Vendillion Clique

Zur is probably the weakest general on that list in 1v1, but he's potentially too strong.. Clique is the strongest. These generals have proven to be huge issues for the diversity of 1v1 commander in the past, and often have negatively warping impact on the environments they're in.

Something like that would encourage a healthy environment for players to enjoy themselves in, while keeping the overly competitive players in check, you can probably just use the normal list for your multiplayer games, just let people know in advance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-08 6:27 pm 

Indeed, and I plan to take full advantage. Wish I hadn't missed 1v1 week 1. I'd have won all my games. I want those frequent-buyer points.

Offline Profile