Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-20 12:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Portland OR
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-21 6:53 pm 

kraus911 wrote:
Hey Jak,
I'm just getting into EDH and go the Heavenly Inferno deck... I'd be happy to meet up and play sometime. I live near Loki's on Woodstock, and they have casual play on Thursdays from 2 pm til close.

Also, consider Thursday nights at Guardian Games. I went there this past Thursday with a Jor Kadeen EDH deck I built that is very subpar compared to what others were playing.... but the thing was I never had so much fun getting my butt kicked. Doesn't really matter if your deck needs work, multiplayer is still a lot of fun.

Email me at pdxpaperpauper@gmail.com if you want.

Sounds great! Hopefully if I have time on Tuesday or Thursday I can check one of these places out soon. Thanks for the heads up and I'll be sure to email you if I go to one of these so we can meet up and have some games! My name is Tommy, for future reference. :)

Rhapsody wrote:
Hey Jak!! Nice to see your still lurking around, like I am.

Most shops didn't hold a release event and almost all of them are sold out of the decks!! As stated above, Red Castle Games on SE Foster road seems to be the hot spot for all the EDH madness. I haven't been out to Other Worlds recently, but check with those guys.

End of Line

Hey Rhapsody! It has been a while. I took a break from Magic for a while with school and a job happening, but this Summer I've just gotten back in. Kept lurking for most of the time though! I'll be sure to check out Red Castle as well! Thanks for the tip.

Here is my email for the both of you: diesel2574@gmail.com. Hit me up for some games or if you are headed to one of these places for an EDH night!

Also, might as well post what I am working with now. I picked up 3 of the decks (Heavenly Inferno, Mirror Mastery, and Political Puppets) and I've just slowly been adding cards that I still have from past EDH decks to make them pretty decent. I mostly just took out the terrible cards to add good ones and the usual staples. I hope to get some games in with them and keep working on 'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-26 2:09 pm 

Hey guys! It has taken me some time but I finally put together and fixed up my deck. I am planning to go to Guardian Games Thursday to have so fun with it so hopefully there will be a decent amount of people and we can play some games. Any one else go to their weeklies? How "cutthroat" is it?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-15 9:49 am 

guardian is the more low key of the two major EDH shops in town. red castle is a lot more competitive but you can always find more laid back games at either shop. i have heard there is a new shop downtown that i havent visited yet either... anyone have any recon on that shop?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-16 10:19 pm 

What is this new downtown shop you speak of??!!

I heard that there is a bar that is doing a Magic night and free drinkies to those playing this fine game. I forget the name of a fore mentioned bar however.

I think the crowd at Red Castle is the more fine tuned, or optimized crowd. I don't/won't go to GG, so I suppose my assumption is just that.

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-26 11:57 am 

Hey guys, I just moved to Portland a few months ago and have been playing at Guardian Games recently. My name is Max, I play a mean Godo and a not-so-mean Uril. Was wondering if I've played any of you guys before.

Anyway, what's with the hate on Guardian Games? Sure, I agree with you that it's not the most 'optimized' playing of EDH, but there are some good players there, and I find it to be a friendly atmosphere. Maybe there's something I don't know about. That being said, I wouldn't mind joining in on a more competitive EDH scene, I get some hate for my heavy mana ramp / LD in Godo, which in my mind (as well as infinite combos and everything else under the sun) is fair game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-22 8:47 am 

Then quite pussyfooting around at GG, and come play with the big boys at Red Castle on Tuesdays.

You see, people are entitled to opinions, and unfortunately they like to regale in those guilty, guilty opinions over the internet where there anonymity is obsolete. This allows for people to say what they want, about what they want and feel no repercussions. It's that simple.

Side note: Portal Games is the downtown shop. They do EDH on Wednesdays about 7pm. Point/Achievement system. Good singles selection/decent prices/cool owners.

Portal Games
1224 SW Broadway | Portland, OR 97204 | 503-575-4887

End of Line

odit wrote:

This.

DECKS:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-22 7:50 pm 

h8 haveing to work every wednesday night :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-24 8:02 am 

odit wrote:
h8 haveing to work every wednesday night :(

h8 you not giving me your new phone number...

End of Line

odit wrote:

This.

DECKS:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-31 9:01 pm 

I'll be moving the Portland area sometime within the next two years, more likely later than sooner, but I thought it might be a good idea to get to know some of the playgroups there in case they're still there when I get over there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-01 6:28 am 

Look over this thread, all of the groups exists in some incarnation or another except the group for Loki's Games (the shop went to the evils of yu-gheeo-haw!!) has gone to either Red Castle or Guardian.

End of Line

odit wrote:

This.

DECKS:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-15 2:35 am 

Moving to Portland Next Week.

36yo player (MTG since The Dark) ISO a fun, regular EDH/Commander group. 165+ EDH Decks and counting. Just left a fantastic group in Ellicott City, MD (The Family Game Store).

If you want to read more about my EDH philosophy, check my blog
https://edh100.wordpress.com/tag/philosophy/

Likes: Casual Play, Social Contract/friendly games, relaxed (non-sculpting) mulligans, deck variety, placeholder proxies (only cards I own), 2-5 player games, standard Commander rules (with occasionally expanding/modifying the format -- Tag-Team Commander, Pauper, GuildWars etc)

Dislikes: play for prizes, play for points, leagues, tournaments, "pods", hyper-competitive games, games consistently ending before turn 10, combo-only games, house-bans, anti-social players, optimization.

Not sure what my availability will be just yet. Letters of reference available on request.

I'm playing through all of them in order at: http://edh100.wordpress.com
Decklists Here: http://tappedout.net/users/Nickel97/deck-folders/.

Powerful cards aren't the problem, Spikes are.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-27 5:31 am 

still pretty easy to find shops that have edh nights, personally I hit Red Castle on Tuesdays, and Ancient wonders on Saturdays.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6