Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 6:08 am

Post subject: 1DH aka Dollar General
AgePosted: 2017-Jun-12 11:29 am 

The current variant that's spreading around is called 1DH, or Dollar General. Going by the pricing website of your choice, all 100 cards must be worth $1 each or less, including the commander.

There's a primer here, and I have a Gathering Magic article on the subject going up in the next few days. Thoughts?

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 1DH aka Dollar General
AgePosted: 2017-Jun-12 6:47 pm 

My thought is that it's a format that's going to leave you unable to pick up a deck you left in a box a year ago and play (due to price fluctuation). I spend more than enough time building and rebuilding decks already - why would I want to add the necessity of tracking price changes to keep a legal deck to that?

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 1DH aka Dollar General
AgePosted: 2017-Jun-12 7:06 pm 

I knew about this format already, I see Alex ck Szeto tweet about it. What I like is that such a constraint takes you off the beaten path, it stimulates creativity. I'm not into pauper though, and I have no issue with expensive cards (but I do have an issue with people whining about my Underground Sea, I bought it for 12 bucks ages ago ffs and you are throwing money away for 50 bucks type 2 planeswalkers, end rant). I don't have that many EDH decks to begin with, so cost isn't that much of an issue.

The thing with a price limit is that the current worth is arbitrary and can be influenced by things like popularity. If this format becomes very popular, cards worth 99 cents become 1.01 cards... and then what?

Offline Profile