Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 6:12 am

Post subject: Commander horde variant
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-01 3:02 am 

Hello, fellow Planeswalkers!

So our group have come up with this idea for a commander variant:

The deck could have up to 20 tokens (all the tokens have to be the same type: beast, wolf, zombie, etc) and this plays like traditional horde: if you draw a token you put it into play and draw again.

The tokens need to be of a kind that your commander can produce. For example: If you commander is the Sliver queen, you can have up to 20 1/1 colorless sliver tokens in your main deck, that play as stated above.

Also, whenever you take damage you can choose to take that damage not in your life, but in your deck, like with Horde (damage = send that amout of cards from the top of your deck to the graveyard). General damage counts independently of you taking it on the life or in your deck.

We have not tried it yet (have to build decks with token producer generals to test), but whate are your thoghts about it? You think it can worK? Or will it be broken?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Commander horde variant
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-01 12:45 pm 

Howling Slayer wrote:
So our group have come up with this idea for a commander variant:

The deck could have up to 20 tokens (all the tokens have to be the same type: beast, wolf, zombie, etc) and this plays like traditional horde: if you draw a token you put it into play and draw again.

The tokens need to be of a kind that your commander can produce. For example: If you commander is the Sliver queen, you can have up to 20 1/1 colorless sliver tokens in your main deck, that play as stated above.

Honestly, you're probably going to primarially see the following decks: Baru, Fist of Krosa (X/X), Geist of Saint Traft (4/4 fliers), Ghave, Guru of Spores (generic Ghave decks), and Sliver Queen (generic Slivers decks).

You might see a few of the following from players wanting early large creatures: Stangg (3/4), Titania, Protector of Argoth (5/3), and Tuktuk the Explorer (Legendary 5/5).

A few Jedit Ojanen of Efrava decks may show up with forestwalk tokens to counter Baru, Ghave, and Sliver Queen)

Also, your rules may be seen as supporting the following, as they are commanders that create tokens: King Macar, the Gold-Cursed (mana ramp), Riku of Two Reflections ("clone" tokens)

Overall, I would suggest against requiring the general being able to produce the tokens - this leaves very, very few generals in the running (around 40). You'd have to limit what tokens can be produced somehow, though - probably something like P+T = 4 max, -1 per special ability? Limit tokens to within color identity (or tokens the general could make itself), and possibly matching creature types printed on your general.

Another interesting option would be to allow shuffling a challenge deck in, and using that (Face the Hydra / Battle the Horde / Defeat a God).

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-01 11:23 pm 

Very interesting ideas!
I liked the P+T = 4 max, minus 1 per special ability idea. Definetly keep things more balanced. in color identity, with creature that match a creature type printed on the general is good too. Maybe allow it in tribal decks of a given creatutre type, independently of being printed on the general.

I liked the idea with the challenge decks! How would it work? Maybe allow "defeat a god" cards in a Xenagos, god of revels deck, Face the Hydra cards on Hydra tribal decks and Battle the horde cards on Mogis, god of slaughter deck and Minotaur tribal decks? Just an Idea, what do you think?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-04 1:33 pm 

if you ditch the "commander must be able to produce rule" youll see a few reaper kings

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-04 5:31 pm 

deepfried777 wrote:
if you ditch the "commander must be able to produce rule" youll see a few reaper kings
There is nothing I can see that makes scarecrow tokens, so why would Reaper King be a problem?

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-05 5:00 pm 

Willbender wrote:
deepfried777 wrote:
There is nothing I can see that makes scarecrow tokens, so why would Reaper King be a problem?

theres changing tokens i guess that could count, but im just saying make sure that youre not to leiant with whats allowed to be used

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-27 6:36 pm 

I think it would be more fun to have multiple types of tokens if available. For instance when adding up power and toughness allow 1-2 10pointers, 4 or so 6-8 points and the rest 4 pointers.

Or maybe a point system where you get X points to spend where x is the P+T. So, if you get 100 points you can run 50 1/1's or 25 2/2's or 10 5/5's or a mix. These need to be in addition to your 99, not in place of them.

I do like limiting the types of tokens that can be used. Creature type is probably the easiest, but some leeway for flavor (like angels in Geist or saporlings in rith).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-04 9:38 pm 

i imagine 6/6 dragon tokens with bladewing the risen as general could be a bit broken.

it could be interesting if for example like others have said to have a token-power-total-limit (so for example upper limit of say 50 power; so i could have 50 1/1 sliver tokens or 8 6/6 dragon tokens).

Offline Profile