Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-20 12:24 am

Post subject: Extended Realms
AgePosted: 2014-May-23 2:00 pm 

Intro:
I love variants on magic and collect about anything wizards puts out. This includes Commander, Planechase, Archenemy, Battle the Horde, Face the Hydra, etc. I also build a commander cube that my usual playgroup hated (took too long to draft vs play time). So, I came up with this format as a way to use it all. This format was adapted from many other formats, mostly realms and planechase.

Set up:
Fist you need a card pool, build it the same as you would for realms. Building this card pool is similar to building a cube. Once you have your pool separate it by color (Color Identity). These are your 5 decks. If you are running multicolor cards divide them out evenly as possible between the decks that share a color with them. Also divide any colorless cards evenly and randomly amongst the decks. You then also need a deck for each basic land (30 or so should be enough).

Then you need your oversized deck. This includes your planechase cards, oversized generals, and a few custom cards. These cards are Archenemy, face the hydra, battle the horde, and defeat a god. You can also add any others you chose (such as a custom horde deck). Use sleeves that hide the backs of these cards.

Die, you will ideally need a planechase die, if you don't have one a 6 sided will work, call 1's chaos and 6's planeswalk.

You need the face the hydra, battle the horde, and any other alternate decks you will be using.

Archenemy- You will need a pile of archenemy cards. Enough to build an scheme deck with.

Rewards deck. This currently includes all the hero cards from the hero's journey. Thinking about adding some emblems to use as rewards as well.

Starting commanders: You will also need the cards Eager Cadet,Fugitive Wizard, Muck Rats, Mons's Goblin Raiders, and Willow Elf. Alternatively you can run a cycle of creatures such as the guildmages or whatever you feel is appropriate.

Gameplay:
Each player picks one of the starting commanders. Like in commander, your commander is your color identity, you may only add mana to your mana pool of their color or colorless mana.

Each player starts the game out with a command tower on the battlefield, this card can not be removed from the battlefield. (the idea is to always have at least one source of mana of your commanders color identity)

At the begging of each upkeep, the active player rolls the planar die for free. During their turn any time they could play a sorcery they may roll any number of times, the first time is free each roll beyond the first costs 1 mana more than the previous roll.

When the planer die rolls to planechase remove the active plane from the game and reveal the top card of the oversized deck.

-If it is a planechase card encounter it normally.
-If it is a legendary creature you may chose to replace your current commander with this card. It will be your new commander. Exile your current commander and place this new commander in your command zone. Reset the commander tax. If you chose not to switch to the revealed creature simply exile it.
-If A Scenario Card is revealed that scenario enters the battlefield (see below).
-If Archenemy is revealed, you become the archenemy. build yourself a scheme deck. Reveal the next card in the oversized deck. At the beginning of your first main phase set a scheme in motion. All your opponents now share a turn until you lose (or win) the game.

During your draw step draw a card from any of the 5 decks or from one of the basic lands decks, keep in mind your color identity.

Play magic as normal.

Hydra:
When face the hydra is revealed the hydra deck enters play. It starts out with 3 heads (unless the oversized card says otherwise) and you follow the face the hydra rules. When a player successfully defeats the hydra that player gains a reward card chosen at random from the rewards deck then shuffles the Face the Hydra card back into the oversized deck.

Horde
When you battle the horde the horde deck enters play. The horde deck takes its turn prior to each players turn attacking the player who's turn is next. When a player successfully defeats the horde that player gains a reward chosen at random from the rewards deck. Most custom hordes play the same way.

Defeating a player
When a player's health reaches 0, or gains 20 poison counters, or has been hit by the same commander for 21 damage that player has been defeated. The player who defeated the player gains a reward chosen at random from the rewards deck.

Exile all non land permanents the defeated player controls, remove all counters from that player, and set their life at 0. The defeated player gains the defeated state. This state is removed when the player reaches 40 life. The player can not be damaged while defeated, but otherwise continues playing as normal.

Winning the game
You win the game if all your opponents have the defeated state and there are no active hydras or hordes.

Last edited by Jelik on 2015-May-29 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Extended Realms
AgePosted: 2014-May-28 12:07 pm 

It seems like the intent is for you to always have your command tower. If that is the case, you should probably have a clause preventing the blue player from returning it to your hand or somehow having it tucked. (I'll Boomerang your tower, then cast Time Spiral...), discarded, etc. You could probably just say "This card cannot leave the battlefield unless its owner loses the game." and be done with it.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-03 7:04 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
It seems like the intent is for you to always have your command tower. If that is the case, you should probably have a clause preventing the blue player from returning it to your hand or somehow having it tucked. (I'll Boomerang your tower, then cast Time Spiral...), discarded, etc. You could probably just say "This card cannot leave the battlefield unless its owner loses the game." and be done with it.

Or make it an emblem that taps for mana.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-08 2:05 am 

ludd_gang wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

That would work, although it bring up the question of whether something not on the battlefield can be tapped.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-08 4:01 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
That would work, although it bring up the question of whether something not on the battlefield can be tapped.

Things not on the battlefield cannot be tapped. 110.6d

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-08 7:33 pm 

ludd_gang wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Which brings up some interesting design space, what's the difference between an Emblem like this and a land that you can play into your command zone? The emblem would essentially be acceleration and, in non-variant game-play you'd need some sort of effect to actually get the emblem.

I'd be more interested in a Command-zone Tower: When you play this, put it into your command zone rather than onto the battlefield.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-11 10:28 am 

zimagic wrote:
Which brings up some interesting design space, what's the difference between an Emblem like this and a land that you can play into your command zone? The emblem would essentially be acceleration and, in non-variant game-play you'd need some sort of effect to actually get the emblem.

I'd be more interested in a Command-zone Tower: When you play this, put it into your command zone rather than onto the battlefield.

You can still kill it with Stone Rain, etc. An emblem is completely inert. I think he's aiming for a safe mana source that won't go away.

He's already got the Command Tower starting in play, so I don't think this will change the acceleration factor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-11 12:32 pm 

ludd_gang wrote:
zimagic wrote:

You can still kill it with Stone Rain, etc. An emblem is completely inert. I think he's aiming for a safe mana source that won't go away.

He's already got the Command Tower starting in play, so I don't think this will change the acceleration factor.

You can't stone rain a land in the command zone, just as you can't spin into myth a general in the command zone. Those spells only target permanents on the battlefield.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-14 1:47 am 

You can't Spin into a Myth a general in the command zone because it isn't a permanent yet.

The Command Zone is a zone used for special objects which affect the game like permanents do, but are not actually permanents. This includes emblems, plane cards, scheme cards, and the Commander in Elder Dragon Highlander.

The land is a permanent. There are no rules that spells cannot effect permanents in the command zone. (At least, I don't think there is.) :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-14 6:46 pm 

408.1. The command zone is a game area reserved for certain specialized objects that have an
overarching effect on the game, yet are not permanents and cannot be destroyed.

Cards in the command zone cannot be destroyed. Also, anything that says target {permanent} is implicitly referring to permanents on the battlefield. That is why things like raise dead say what zone the creature is in. So a card that would effect a permanent in the command zone would have to actually specify that it is effecting something in the command zone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-17 10:16 am 

There ya go. Still, I think an emblem would be more intuitive. This would be easy enough to test though. Poll your playgroup and run with what they think is more intuitive.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-18 12:04 am 

MrCool wrote:
Also, anything that says target {permanent} is implicitly referring to permanents on the battlefield.

Actually, it's explicitly referring to a thing on the battlefield;
Comp. Rules wrote:
110.1. A permanent is a card or token on the battlefield.

A card that would be a permanent but isn't on the battlefield isn't a permanent at all.

Anyhoo, I don't think moving a land to the command zone would be a good solution. If you have rules hangups about tapping emblems, you could always make the emblem have some goofy text that would give it equivalent function, like;

0: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. You may not activate this ability again until your next turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-26 6:22 am 

Thinking About How To Best Utilize Multicolored Spells. Jamming Them Into Mono Colored Libraries Doesn't Work All That Well. Maybe I Should Run 25 Libraries For Each Color Combo. Or Maybe 20 For Each 2 Or 3 Color Combo And Only Use Multi-Colored Commanders... Well that idea was a disaster... I think I will try implementing a looting ability of some sort.

Made some minor updates. Instead of replacing the commander in any zone new commanders are put in the command zone and the commander tax is reset.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-08 1:46 pm 

I've tried some approaches to squeezing Z spells into Big Box, but the end result was more complication or less consistent gameplay for not much gain. If you figure out how to do it though, LMK!

Offline Profile