Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-22 9:28 am

Post subject: The "right way" to play
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-19 7:29 am 

Help me out with a discussion that has arise in my playgroup.

Some players are "pointing each other" that the other one is "playing commander the wrong way" because of their respective playstyles.

These are their oppinions

Player 1: He thinks that in a table of 4, the damage has to be dealt evenly among each player, so there is a balance in the life totals and no one gets deleted early.

He likes playing midrange/tempo decks that normally wins with combat damage, He likes this strategy because is his way to win, when everyone is at lethal range he can "combo out" with a surprise attack and finish the game in 1-2 turns.

He is a god player, normally he has a big impact on the game

Player 2: He likes control decks, he likes politics and always tries to be the last man standing to be able to 1v1 the last player, he does that because he says that for a control deck is easier to win the 1v1 late game against almost any other non control deck, so he tries to survive to be the last.

Unless he has very bad draws he is always a finalist

Player 3: He likes aggro decks, his playstile is picking a victim and go for the thoath, he wins by combat damage only, sometimes he uses politics to get one player ignore him while he atacks one or two. He likes deleting playars one at a time or if his army is huge everyone at a time.

Normally if he dont win he does a pretty good job being a finalist

What do you think? wich one of this ways is "the right way"? is there a right way to play?

Oloro, Ageless ascetic The current updated decklist is here

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The "right way" to play
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-19 3:55 pm 

alexev wrote:
is there a right way to play?

The right way to play is to try and ensure that everyone is having fun, because at the end of the day you're playing a game to enjoy yourselves, and there's nothing forcing you to play with these people. It's not like a tournament, where you show up to win, usually with some sort of prize on the line, and you have to deal with whatever comes your way.

The unfortunate truth, however, is that not everyone thinks the same things are fun, so sometimes you're going to reach an impasse - you can't please all of the people all of the time.

All of that said, I don't think any of the players you've described have it "wrong". They're executing the strategies that work best for the decks they're playing. For example, an aggro deck isn't going to win by sitting on its hands doing nothing, or by carefully distributing attacks so everyone is punched equally. Hopefully his threat assessment is decent, but that's a separate issue.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-22 1:21 am 

alexev wrote:
What do you think? Which one of these versions is "the right way?" Is there a right way to play?

None of them, and all of them.

Sid has it right. Each is a strategy, and there is no "one size fits all" way to play EDH. Part of Commander is that the players with different strategies try to maneuver the game to their preferred "style."

If the players are verbally attacking each other, or using perceived "infractions" to drive game decisions (e.g. "you won't spread your attacks" or "you won't attack the weakest player" therefore "I'm going to target/attack/hurt you") then it sounds like the playgroup is due for a sit-down round-table discussion (not argument or fight) about what everybody wants out of your commander time and play experience.

As a group, you should probably discuss topics such as:
- Threat assessment (what it means to each of you, and is there some common ground)
- Carryover (if/why previous games affect future games)
- Enjoyment (what you find fun, why and how it affects play-styles and games)

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-22 2:40 am 

Treamayne wrote:

If the players are verbally attacking each other, or using perceived "infractions" to drive game decisions (e.g. "you won't spread your attacks" or "you won't attack the weakest player" therefore "I'm going to target/attack/hurt you") then it sounds like the playgroup is due for a sit-down round-table discussion (not argument or fight) about what everybody wants out of your commander time and play experience.

As a group, you should probably discuss topics such as:
- Threat assessment (what it means to each of you, and is there some common ground)
- Carryover (if/why previous games affect future games)
- Enjoyment (what you find fun, why and how it affects play-styles and games)

Quote:

For threat assesment this is how it works in my PG

1. The paranoid guy: Eeverything everyone else does is a threat, do you have 3 mana dorks and thats it? OMG you are winning!!!, do you have 10 life more of everyone else and zero board presence? OMG you are winning, do you have ore lands than me? OMG you are winning!!!!

2. The everyone has broken decks but me guy: Eevery deck in the table is OP and plays unfair things, "My Atraxa PW is fair, double season is fair, vraska assasins are fair, merciless eviction is unfair, Breya is unfair, Oloro is unfair"

3. The situational guy: this guy selects the threat according on how the other decks interacts with his own and its weakness/strenghts, so sometimes will go fo the troath against a single player, sometimes wont, sometimes he will sit back and act pasively and sometimes he will go lead the action.

Quote:
Carryover (if/why previous games affect future games)

Yes, previous games affects our next games, not between playsessions but you can bet your best deck it afects 100% the current session

If a player "feels" he loose "unfair" because someone focus on is first, or if Breya got to suffer a vandalblast, or someone won with a combo, or things like those, then you can bet again that the involved players in the loosing side will start the next game hating out the offender (not always the one who won, but if he won then the $#14 gets real)

Quote:
Enjoyment (what you find fun, why and how it affects play-styles and games)

Everyone has their own playsiles so everyone enjoys the game in diferent ways but some consesions are made or are "implicit", some people likes to play hard aggro stiles so they get angry for every boardwipe, some people likes to play mid/tempo so they get angry if they are attacked first because they cant reach mid/late with the reousrces they want, some people likes caotic decks with strange tactics.

I personally enjoy that my opponets plays diferent styles like mine, I really love those games where everyone plays a diferent strategy and poses a big challenge.

I never asked anyone to nerf their deck, I never said "your deck is OP" or unfair, I got my lands destroyed one game and for me was fair game (also allows me to play LD somday), I got deleted by an army of forests and thats fine, I have been decked to death, locked out, etc. if someone wins with an infite combo is fine by me, also if wins by creatures or direct damage or any other wincon.

That is my personal point of view but it is not perfectly shared across everyone I played against, some people thinks LD is "BAD" or unfair, somepeople thinks combos are bad, some one thinks "wincat" is bad or unfair

If you play Sidisi and have an army of 2/2s by turn 5 you may think propaganda is "unfair" but from the propaganda's guy point of view the "un fairness" lies beyond the table with those 10 2/2s threating

We had "the talk" but maybe we hadnt do it the right way

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-22 2:48 am 

The conversation Treamayne is describing is one you have with your group, not us.

I am super, super uninterested in seeing you ridiculing your group in front of us. Show your friends some respect.

Btw though,

Quote:
1. The paranoid guy: Eeverything everyone else does is a threat, do you have 3 mana dorks and thats it? OMG you are winning!!!, do you have 10 life more of everyone else and zero board presence? OMG you are winning, do you have ore lands than me? OMG you are winning!!!!

It sounds like he pays attention to multiple different factors to conclude what might have someone else be ahead at any given moment. That's good. He sounds like the situational guy except with stronger reactions.

I mean, if it's you being alluded to in that "10 more life and zero board presence" statement, you're the one with the controlly lifegain Oloro deck with multiple life-oriented wincons. You being 10 life ahead with zero board presence is fine for your deck, you can still win in a turn or two like that, so it's also fine to say that's dangerous and needs to be addressed. *shrug*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-22 3:12 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
The conversation Treamayne is describing is one you have with your group, not us.

We had that talk

spacemonaut wrote:
I am super, super uninterested in seeing you ridiculing your group in front of us. Show your friends some respect.

1. I wasnt tryng to ridiculize no one (BTW remember english is not my natal tongue so sometimes I may be red as more "hardsh", sometimes more "silly" or even "ignorant" according on how I manage to phrase my sentences)

If you see some humoristic aspects in my description is just that, humor, not agression, so dont take as such

2. I do respect my playgroup wich are my friends and I also respect your oppinion and "disinterest" in my point of view wich off course you have 100% right to just ignore/not read

spacemonaut wrote:
It sounds like he pays attention to multiple different factors to conclude what might have someone else be ahead at any given moment. That's good. He sounds like the situational guy except with stronger reactions.

This players considers a threat everything else has more than he does, more life, more lands, more artifacts, more 1/1s, more something. Wich BTW is perfecty fine by me

spacemonaut wrote:
I mean, if it's you being alluded to in that "10 more life and zero board presence" statement, you're the one with the controlly lifegain Oloro deck with multiple life-oriented wincons. You being 10 life ahead with zero board presence is fine for your deck, you can still win in a turn or two like that, so it's also fine to say that's dangerous and needs to be addressed. *shrug*

I dont mind to be the considered as "the threat" sometimes 10+ life total as an advantaje is lower advantage than Atraxa dn some PW in the table, but each one has his own point of view and by me is fine, I work with those things improving my deck/strat/etc.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jan-30 4:26 pm 

This is massively subjective. For instance, in my playgroup, it's important to mulligan to a hand that has a plan, as interaction will be necessary by turn 3 to keep the game going every time. Everyone is on the same page, playing the most competitive possible, and so it's fun for all of us. However, not everyone will agree it's right, and most wouldn't agree with us, but it's perfectly fine, as the right way is about everyone having fun.

Offline Profile