Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 8:45 pm

Post subject: Traxos SMASH! Traxos CLEVER?
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 10:21 am 

Hey folks,

My colourless deck for the 32 deck Challenge is Traxos, Scourge of Kroog - now the obvious and simple plan here is to get your 7/7 Trampler for 4, untap him with one of a thousand different untap effects, maybe give him a pointy stick or a flash cape (Whispersilk Cloak, for example) and get to smashing.

That bit's easy.

What could I do with him that's a bit more clever? What can I do in a colourless deck that can benefit from untapping the big lug every time I cast an artifact?

I've looked at some equipment that have "equipped creature gets {t}: Do something" but honestly their effects are somewhat bleh.

Hit me up, fam. What cleverness can you pull off with your average RAWR machine?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

Post subject: Re: Traxos SMASH! Traxos CLEVER?
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 2:06 pm 

Honestly- I don't think Traxos wants to be a commander damage sort of beatstick. Being able to do that isn't a downside- but it sortof works against what a deck made up of only artifacts and colorless spells has as strengths. Modal artifacts like Trading Post and Clock of Omens let you build up "twitch muscles"- Druidic Satchel rewards you for a high artifact creature count- and helps you filter drawing lands, or making extra land-drops.

With that in mind- I think Traxos actually wants to be slowrolled- and equipment like Heavy Arbalest- with modal artifacts to handle resources. Cards like Otherworld Atlas and Temple Bell give you enough gas to get off the ground. I'd go for about 20 Wastes, 16 utility lands, and a bunch of ways to make extra land-drops (Wayfarer's Bauble, Walking Atlas, Terrain Generator, Solemn Simulacrum) and fix lands to hand. Looking for 45-50 mana sources total- I'm partial to Basalt Monolith and Lotus Bloom. Most of the deck should be focused on resource generation and disruption. Traxos' giant butt, other colorless beatsticks, and equipment make the deck threatening; but the focus is to not get blown out of the game by errant Vandalblasts n' such- while providing necessary pressure.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Traxos SMASH! Traxos CLEVER?
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-18 2:12 pm 

I can do all that with any colourless commander though; I want to be able to do something that only Traxos can do. Smash face early is one of those things; untapping him 4 or 5 times a turn is the other. Trouble is I can't think of anything good to do with him that involves tapping or untapping him a bunch. Improvise spells, maybe?

Edited to add: Might be obvious, but spelling it out anyways: Traxos untaps whenever you cast an historic (Legendary/Saga/Artifact) spell - there are no colourless Sagas, and the only non-artifact colourless Legendaries are the six five Eldrazi, the two Karn Planeswalkers and the Ugin planeswalker.... and they're all mega-bucks.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile