Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 8:47 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 3:27 am 

Sinis wrote:
Next up: Leave // Chance.

I could see running Leave // Chance in a Jor Kadeen deck. You could pick up cards like Mycosynth Wellspring and Ichor Wellspring for value, and save important artifacts from global destruction. You could even get a big swing off of Sword of War and Peace as well. The second half of the spell could get you out of a bad hand later in the game too.

EDIT: You can also tutor out Leave using Sunforger, which is great equipment in any Boros deck.

Next card: Devastating Dreams

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 9:18 am 

Every single Stax/mana denial deck in the game that runs red wants it. It's a discount Wildfires/Destructive Force, but still extremely good in that kind of deck. I used to run it back when I had a Daretti, Scrap Savant cEDH deck, so that's probably going to be my final answer.

Evolutionary Escalation

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 3:20 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:

There are a few decks that want this; mostly decks that already have synergies with +1/+1 counters, like Ezuri, Claw of Progress or Pir, Imaginative Rascal/Toothy, Imaginary Friend. Simic will probably have the most synergy involved, given the design of Evolve, and cards like Mycoloth and Cold-Eyed Selkie.

That seems pretty boring, though. I would much rather use it jumpstart a Hallar, the Firefletcher deck. It would be one of a few similar cards that power up the strategy (because building counters one at a time kind of sucks) (my other favourites being Increasing Savagery, Deadbridge Goliath and, of course, Strength of the Tajuru).

... next up, Bloodforged Battle-Axe.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 3:23 pm 

I was gonna suggest Animar for Evolutionary Escalation but a) I couldn't think of another card and b) Animar really doesn't need the help ;)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 4:08 pm 

Quote:

I keep forgetting that I need to buy one of these things for my Akiri, Line-Slinger/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept deck. In particular I think any deck with Akiri at the helm is phenomenal with it. Kemba, Kha Regent gets a handsome second place too.

Up next, and I do mean this as part of the 99, Vendilion Clique

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-28 12:19 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Up next, and I do mean this as part of the 99, Vendilion Clique

If your meta runs any combo at all, Vendilion Clique is an amazing card in basically any deck that can run it, and it's obviously a shoe-in for faerie tribal. However, to capitalize on both uses of it, I would go with Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar. If you don't need to use it to disrupt your opponents, you can target yourself and dig three cards deep.

Next card: Stonewood Invocation

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-28 1:49 am 

For Evolutionary Escalation I would have said Skullbriar. He'd get really out of hand, fast.

Coco wrote:

Stonewood is good for aggro commanders, and I've seen it work best in Rafiq decks. Split-second protection is hard to get around, and a removal-magnet like Rafiq loves all of the protection he can get.

Next card: Cloud Cover

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-28 2:24 am 

Superstrength79 wrote:
Next card: Cloud Cover

Because this relies on your opponent to trigger, there are no proactive strategies I can think of that would be of good use for it. As a hate-mitigator, it's pretty much best for decks where you expect your cards will get hated out and don't want to pay general tax, or otherwise deal with eating everyone's single-target removal.

So, Sen Triplets is pretty much the poster child for this. People will level hate at Sen Triplets, and this is kind of one of the ways you can make it less impactful. Honourable mention to Merieke Ri Berit and Angus Mackenzie. It also plays nicely with enter-the-battlefield effects, (and could be playable in Breya, Etherium Sculptor as well).

Let's see if someone can polish this turd: Chainer's Torment.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-28 2:47 am 

It is a cardinal sin that that card is black, because if it were an artifact or something it would fit absolutely perfectly with Trostani.

As is, it fits nicely with any of the standard life gain generals. The four that come to mind are Oloro, Karlov, Ikra Shidiqi, and Ayli. The former two like the repeated triggers, while the latter two like the big fat token. It also helps if the deck in question is running True Conviction or Whip of Erebos to completely offset the damage.

I'm probably going to have to go with Oloro for the final answer. He's the one most likely to get the biggest life total when it pops off, can replenish much faster and more reliably, and provides card advantage with it. There's also the fact that Oloro decks in general tend to be rather enchantment-heavy, so you'll probably already have support cards like Enlightened Tutor or Replenish to further maximize its power.

As for a card I'm positive is good but can't seem to find the right deck for: Aetherwind Basker

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-28 8:53 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
As for a card I'm positive is good but can't seem to find the right deck for: Aetherwind Basker

Part of the problem is that it only adds one temporary P/T per creature. Sure, it's 7/7 base, but if you have enough creatures to make it an immediate threat, some kind of Overrun is probably better and faster. It wants you to have lots of creatures, regardless of size, and enables cards that care about one large creature, like Hunter's Insight and Traverse the Outlands. A deck where your commander wants both those things, like Tishana, is probably best.

Other possibilities: A heavily energy-focused deck where you'll probably spend the energy on something else. But there isn't a great commander for it. Atraxa, I guess? Or an Experiment Kraj deck where you try to give it a bunch of crazy abilities and hope they synergize.

Next: Asmira, Holy Avenger (again in the 99).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-29 1:44 am 

NMS wrote:
Next: Asmira, Holy Avenger (again in the 99).

Asmira would be bonkers in a Saffi Eriksdotter deck, especially if you build around the Persist and Undying mechanics, not to mention the usual recursion packages that Saffi runs. You would have a swole Asmira in no time.

(I think it's harder to come up with the "Next card:" than it is to find a commander for one)

Next card: Infernal Harvest

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-29 4:46 am 

Superstrength79 wrote:
Next card: Infernal Harvest

I actually have an idea on the backburner that would be perfect for this. Basically the deck is Dralnu, Lich Lord control, but you also run all the Donate/Switcheroo effects to give Dralnu to your opponent and then hit him with Corrupt or Tendrils of Corruption. I didn't know there was another one of those cards until now! The manabase for the deck would be mostly swamps with some land-typed duals, fetches, and rocks to get one or two blue sources.

I haven't built it yet because if I have to choose between two decks that seem equally fun for me to build, I will choose the one that is more fun to play against most of the time. This would be a very mean deck.

Superstrength79 wrote:
(I think it's harder to come up with the "Next card:" than it is to find a commander for one)

I have a whole pile of cards sitting around that never seem to make it into a deck, so I just choose one of those.
I.E. The Flame of Keld

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-29 6:48 am 

Coco wrote:
I actually have an idea on the backburner that would be perfect for this. Basically the deck is Dralnu, Lich Lord control, but you also run all the Donate/Switcheroo effects to give Dralnu to your opponent and then hit him with Corrupt or Tendrils of Corruption. I didn't know there was another one of those cards until now! The manabase for the deck would be mostly swamps with some land-typed duals, fetches, and rocks to get one or two blue sources.

Reliquary Tower, Ivory Tower, Venser's Journal seem like good options for that kind of deck (at least if you run Infernal Harvest). Maybe some Pack Rat outlets like Zombie Infestation too.

Coco wrote:

I was thinking of ways to abuse sagas ever since Dominaria came out. I think an Izzet shell would work best. Mizzix of the Izmagnus and a Proliferate theme would be the deck. I'd put Power Conduit in there, as well as Chisei, Heart of Oceans. I read the rulings on sagas on Gatherer, and going backwards on lore counters will not cause the saga to trigger, so you never have to discard your hand a second time with The Flame of Keld.

Next card: Wood Elemental

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-03 10:19 pm 

Superstrength79 wrote:
Next card: Wood Elemental

I think this would be most at home in a Titania, Protector of Argoth deck. She's the kind of deck to play a lot of land fetches as well as cards like Exploration and Rites of Flourishing, so she has plenty of forests to sacrifice. She's willing to play Ambush Commander and Life and Limb to make her forests vulnerable, because she wants those 5/3 elementals and to turn her land creatures into rattlesnakes. Her staples include Ramunap Excavator and Splendid Reclamation which makes mass sacrifice of lands less of an issue.

So with Titania out, you sacrifice six lands, get a 6/6 Elemental, and six 5/3 Elementals. Elemental Bond is also a staple for her: draw 7 cards now.

Next card: Dead Man's Chest

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-05 1:33 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Next card: Dead Man's Chest

I'd run that card in Gonti, Lord of Luxury for flavor alone. He loves stealing off the top of people's decks, and he also doesn't need to be in play for you to be able to cast the cards from exile. Pretty decent mono-black strategy, and you can even tutor for the enchantment regularly with black tutors. The only drawback is that they would never attack you with that creature if Gonti is out, since his Deathtouch holds the ground pretty well.

Next card: Army Ants

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next