Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-23 4:06 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-23 5:46 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:

I'd play this under Animar, Soul of Elements in an animorphs deck. For those readers unfamiliar, that's an Animar deck with tons of Morph cards: once you have your Animar with at least 3 counters on it, you're playing your morph cards for {0} and putting more counters on Animar for each one. It means you only really have to worry about their morph costs, and you put tricks like Willbender into your deck and may play Secret Plans or Aphetto Runecaster for fuel & survivability.

In this deck you'd be using creatures like Sagu Mauler, Blistering Firecat, Hooded Hydra, Ashcloud Phoenix, Akroma, Angel of Fury, and Vesuvan Shapeshifter. Those are pretty good candidates for popping out for fighting someone. If you don't need your Willbender anymore (you've just turned it face-up to respond to a spell) you might use it to also take out someone's 1-toughness creature.

This also the kind of deck to play other morph-matters cards such as these: Salt Road Ambushers and Trail of Mystery are two of them, and both give the creature +2 power to work with. You might also play Qarsi Deceiver in this deck as a morph-focused mana dork.

Next up: Champion of Rhonas. In a format and color where we're expected to get big mana to power out our bigger creatures anyway, what commander would you give this champ to?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-27 12:32 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
Next up: Champion of Rhonas. In a format and color where we're expected to get big mana to power out our bigger creatures anyway, what commander would you give this champ to?

Thought about this one for a while, and I'm gonna go with Maelstrom Wanderer... 2 reasons. Firstly, MW gives haste, so you can use the champ the turn it comes down if you play it later in the game, which is nice. Secondly, MW decks often function by repeatedly casting the Wanderer - this guy lets you put the fatty you drew into play for free while leaving your mana open to chain-cast MW.

Next up: Mana Echoes, but you can't say Sliver Queen or Krenko, - too obvious.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-27 12:55 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Next up: Mana Echoes, but you can't say Sliver Queen or Krenko, - too obvious.

I mean, there isn't a card cast off mountains that I won't say "Play Feldon of the Third Path" for- since Siege-Gang Commander and Chancellor of the Forge are already fine Feldon choices, why the hell not? Really, 1/5th of "I need a hero" for me is becoming "Unleash the Feldons!"

Next up: Prosperous Pirates- Bonus for not selecting Brago or Roon.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-27 10:10 pm 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Next up: Prosperous Pirates- Bonus for not selecting Brago or Roon.

...Admiral Beckett Brass?

Nono, I'm joking. Saheeli, the Gifted or Brudiclad would be similarly obvious picks- Saheeli can discount them and then the Treasure will pull double duty with her second +1, and they look a lot better when they're making two tokens of...whatever you like, really, with Brudiclad out.

Personally, I think I like it in Riku of Two Reflections- you can stack your triggers in such a way that you can play the Pirates, get your treasure, and sacrifice your new treasure to pay for Riku's ability to copy the Pirates (since the cost is paid on resolution and both are ETB triggers). The copied Pirates then arrive and give you two more treasure, which pays for whatever you want to copy with Riku next...

Next, Fraying Omnipotence. Go.

Daretti, Scrap Savant (Red Artefacts).
Prime Speaker Zegana (Simic Voltron).
Rubinia Soulsinger (Bant Polymorphs).
Kess, Dissident Mage (Grixis Treasure).
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (Jund Apostles).
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls (Mardu Judo).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-27 11:15 pm 

Swmystery wrote:

Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni (rant incoming)...

Is one of the most underrated, and powerful MBC commanders out there; and getting her own flavor of Tragic Arrogance is a big deal imo. Since she already wants to play Pox, and Smallpox this dovetails nicely as a functional "MegaPox"- and third copy of the effect. It isn't unusual for a regular playgroup to try and stall Inky rather than dealing with her, because of how well her built-in regeneration can protect her at a point in the game where she can be deployed. All 3 sides are incredibly relevant to pushing her as a complete card whether you're dumping her into the grave for the mass "to hand" recursion that enables ninjitsu or just staring at a board where she has a hard time getting through (like one where your Shizo, Death's Storehouse isn't available.) Having 5 attack, and wanting to deal combat damage makes this particular card enable plays that Mutilate or Barter in Blood normally would struggle to replicate.

I find it odd that when people evaluate her, they mention not being able to ninjitsu from the CZ- but her raw utility as a General that goes to the GY instead, built-in protection, decent power score (making her very threatening, even without commander damage-) an ability to utilize other graveyards instead of your own creates a super cool bottleneck in a format that is so often combat centric (where the "blocking is losing" mantra shines so much.) Her drawback is being a 6-drop commander; and in my experience, knowing how to slowroll your Commander is often a big advantage anyways.

Speaking of underrated Kamigawa tricks, how about that Skyfire Kirin as a member of the 99?

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-04 1:01 pm 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Speaking of underrated Kamigawa tricks, how about that Skyfire Kirin as a member of the 99?

The lazy answer is O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami spirit tribal with all the "Spirit or Arcane" cards.

However, I think that's boring and predictable. I present two options:

1. I would much rather use Xenagos, God of Revels. Skyfire Kirin needs haste to be effective, and Xenagos reliably provides. There are plenty of Arcane spells in green/red that are perfectly playable (Blind with Anger is a personal favourite).

2. Brion Stoutarm. Skyfire Kirin doesn't give haste, but, that doesn't mean you can't chuck people with Brion. W/R is less exciting in the Arcane department, but has some choice spirits if you go looking.

Next up: Reality Scramble.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-04 1:13 pm 

I'm gonna go with Zedruu the Greathearted; give some of your stuff away then put it back on the bottom of your library and get a replacement when you're done with it.

My card is Twilight Drover

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-06 12:07 pm 

Viperion wrote:
I'm gonna go with Zedruu the Greathearted; give some of your stuff away then put it back on the bottom of your library and get a replacement when you're done with it.

My card is Twilight Drover

This card, I feel, can find an easy home in Regna, the Redeemer/Krav, the Unredeemed. I was just compiling a list for that pair, and Twilight Drover was near the top. Without more cards, it puts out ever increasing dudes for Krav to eat.

Next up: Soul of Shandalar.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-07 6:26 am 

Neat thread- -just read through all 10 pages for inspiration...

Sinis wrote:

Either Radha: Heir to Keld or preferably Grand Warlord would help generate extra mana- -which you could funnel into the Soul's abilities to make combat math awkward. I could see a shell full of "when this attacks" or "when a creature attacks" triggers like Inferno Titan, Tyrant's Familiar, Wild Beastmaster, etc.

A similar strategy with Oros, the Avenger would also work?

Next up: Vile Consumption? It's always one of the 'first cards out' when I'm building new things.

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-21 5:02 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Next up: Vile Consumption? It's always one of the 'first cards out' when I'm building new things.

I think, fundamentally, it's an answer card for tokens. Unfortunately there's not many ways to punish it; it can serve to activate Bloodchief Ascension, and little else.

I think it finds a home in Sygg, River Cutthroat. Sygg probably doesn't like dealing with tokens, and if any player keeps 3 creatures, you get paid with a bonus card.

Next up: Hour of Eternity

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-22 3:43 am 

I'll go with the probably obvious answer, since I considered the card for it - Brudiclad.

Next up - Magewright's Stone.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-22 2:58 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I'll go with the probably obvious answer, since I considered the card for it - Brudiclad.

Next up - Magewright's Stone.

I play it in Selvala, Explorer Returned- and it's pretty hardcore as a second copy of Thousand Year Elixir effectively. Trostani is the lieutenant of that build though- and it's super relevant to have a deck that interacts with it, even if the general doesn't. (IE, I've seen it do crazy work in both Feldon AND Kurkesh, even if Kurkesh doesn't create any synergy with it as an individual card.)

Next up - Hammerheim. Friend and I got this bad boy in a box and want to do something fun.

Defender

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-23 11:00 pm 

Mr Degradation wrote:
Next up - Hammerheim. Friend and I got this bad boy in a box and want to do something fun.

That's a tough one. Nothing obvious is jumping out at me. My guess would be put it in a Grixis shell, maybe Sol'kanar, because swampwalk and islandwalk are pretty common abilities, and because if for some reason you want to make Sol'kanar blockable for a black player, it gives you that option?

Next up - Wheel of Sun and Moon.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-25 12:41 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:

I have this in a number of decks already, so I will have to go with the one where I find it most beneficial - Scion of the Ur-Dragon. Not only does the Wheel provide the normal mill/discard and graveyard protection, but with the Scion it allows "utility dragon" shenanigans. The replacement effect does not stop Scion's copy ability; and with your dragons back in the library you can copy the same critter on subsequent turns. In fact, my Enduring Ideal deck has Scion of the Ur-Dragon as general, and only has three dragons and two changelings as copy targets to use with the Wheel of Sun and Moon (as needed - nobody sees the Moonglove Changeling deathtouch block coming).

Next: Elemental Augury

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-26 2:06 am 

Treamayne wrote:

This just seems very Nicol Bolas to me... "Yes I could just destroy you, but let me play with your future first..."

Unified Will

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next