Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Feb-20 7:05 am 

The game is simple. I'll post a card, then someone else names the general they think would fit with that card the best and suggests a new card. The next person names another general and another card, so on and so forth. Preferably we'd do a bunch of bad and/or niche cards that don't see too much play.

First card: Abyssal Persecutor

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Feb-20 7:26 am 

Maralen of the Mornsong, cause they might not kill her so quickly? I don't know I just want her to be played more I guess...

Next card: Demonic Hordes (staying with the Black Demon theme).

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-20 1:47 pm 

Shouldn't this have been in Random Chatter?

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Next card: Demonic Hordes (staying with the Black Demon theme).

The Gitrog Monster, because Hordes can target your own lands too...

Wiitigo

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-20 3:28 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
Shouldn't this have been in Random Chatter?

That's what I first thought, but then I figured that someone I someone might get some sort of deckbuilding inspiration.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-21 12:42 am 

Treamayne wrote:

Reyhan, Last of the Abzan. You give your opponent a dilemma in combat: block Wiitigo and let it grow stronger, or block it and kill it and let something else grow bigger for later. (Or take the damage.) Loads of commanders can care about making Wiitigo huge, but only Reyhan can make even blocking and killing Wiitigo a bad proposition. Dilemmas like this are nice because they make situations win/win for you, but also suck up the opponent's mental resources so they have less to spend on decision-making elsewhere.

You're in BG, so you have +1/+1 counter doublers (Corpsejack Menace, Hardened Scales) as well as +1/+1 counter adding/moving effects so you can keep Wiitigo stocked up even if it never gets blocked, so often your opponent's best choice will be take the damage or chump block, meaning a net loss for them. Give it trample and that's still their only choices, only they're worse now (chump block 0 to many creatures to absorb some of the damage). Any loss for you (Wiitigo dying) turns into a huge gain.

Partner Reyhan up with Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper to get a two color deck for the consistency to cast that 3GGG cost easily, and to make chump blocking the only good (but still bad) option.

Kresh the Bloodbraided is a runner up but if all you care is power you can do better than 6/6 for 3GGG (and that cost in a three color deck too).

Tezzeret's Touch

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-21 2:57 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Treamayne wrote:

Reyhan, Last of the Abzan. You give your opponent a dilemma in combat: block Wiitigo and let it grow stronger, or block it and kill it and let something else grow bigger for later. (Or take the damage.) Loads of commanders can care about making Wiitigo huge, but only Reyhan can make even blocking and killing Wiitigo a bad proposition. Dilemmas like this are nice because they make situations win/win for you, but also suck up the opponent's mental resources so they have less to spend on decision-making elsewhere.

You're in BG, so you have +1/+1 counter doublers (Corpsejack Menace, Hardened Scales) as well as +1/+1 counter adding/moving effects so you can keep Wiitigo stocked up even if it never gets blocked, so often your opponent's best choice will be take the damage or chump block, meaning a net loss for them. Give it trample and that's still their only choices, only they're worse now (chump block 0 to many creatures to absorb some of the damage). Any loss for you (Wiitigo dying) turns into a huge gain.

Partner Reyhan up with Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper to get a two color deck for the consistency to cast that 3GGG cost easily, and to make chump blocking the only good (but still bad) option.

That sounds like a pretty fun deck... now I'll have to see what else might work. The Phantom Tiger etc. are probably auto-includes.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-21 5:25 am 

spacemonaut wrote:

Silas Renn and Bruse Tarl... 5/5 double strike lifelink deathtouch commander.

Night of Souls’ Betrayal

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-21 6:58 am 

Coco wrote:

Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. Near infinite EtB/Death triggers. Grave Pact and friends are the obvious choices, but I'm sure there are more interesting things to do as well.

Wurmweaver Coil

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-23 11:56 am 

Viperion wrote:
Coco wrote:

Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. Near infinite EtB/Death triggers. Grave Pact and friends are the obvious choices, but I'm sure there are more interesting things to do as well.

Wurmweaver Coil

Omnath, Locus of Mana, power it out early with all that mana and slap that bad boy on! Alternatively, Selvala, Heart of the Wilds

Psychogenic Probe

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-23 2:06 pm 

Thada Adel, Acquisitor

Skaab Ruinator

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-23 4:27 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Some manner of Tasigur, the Golden Fang self-mill; eliminate choices you don't want, get a beater. Maybe also Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.

Guile

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-24 3:18 am 

Sinis wrote:
Uktabi_Kong wrote:

Some manner of Tasigur, the Golden Fang self-mill; eliminate choices you don't want, get a beater. Maybe also Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.

Guile

Dralnu, Lich Lord but only with Blood Funnel,Nether Void and the knowledge people may not want to play with you again if Guile and Nether Void resolve.

Weird Harvest

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-25 10:30 am 

kirkusjones wrote:

Myojin of Life's Web

Lurking Predator and Garruk's Horde for back-up.

Next card: Flash Flood

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-25 12:59 pm 

sagest_owl wrote:
Next card: Flash Flood

Terrible card is terrible and no General will make it good.

Patron of the Moon for some kind of land deck thing.... I guess....

Student of Ojutai

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Feb-25 1:27 pm 

Viperion wrote:

Obvious: Narset, Enlightened Master - Monks.. blah blah... prowess deck... blah blah blah..... yawn.

Less Obvious: Daxos - either really.... Daxos of Meletis or Daxos the Returned.
- UW Daxos lets you get "noncreature spell" triggers off of opponents' decks and might make an interesting weenie/control build.
- WB Daxos can (ab)use all those self-recurring enchantments. Making an "enchantress-style" deck (Gangnam style, without the river being involved) work without green could be an intriguing challenge.

Interestingly different: Sram, Senior Edificer Vehicle deck. Using vehicles will get around the Student's (and others) non-creature clause. Triggers for multiple types, and there are some nifty Spirit Loop style self-returning artifacts and auras. Could make and interesting Voltron (original meaning - many ways for combat to "come together" behind one or two attackers - not just "General Smash like Hulk") build.

As for next challenge: Clockspinning

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next