Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-21 5:00 am

Post subject: Re: Help me give my opponents tokens.
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-01 2:36 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Segrus wrote:
It would amuse me to use Infinite Reflection on Varchild's War-Riders to give lots of tokens to everyone. And it also feels like there should be some use for Mirrorweave here, but without granting additional upkeeps to someone or something I don't know that you could give someone lots of tokens and then turn them all into War-Riders. Mirrorweave could also be used to effectively pump up another player's combat step.

You could Mirrorweave all tokens into something like Sell-sword Brute right before a board wipe. In response to your Wrath...

Very true, and could be really cool.

Although I might go with Hissing Iguanar and happen to have out Leyline of Sanctity or Orb of Warding or something. Lots more damage potential.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-01 6:49 am 

Alright, folks, with your help I've come up with a working draft of this thing:

Creatures

Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis

Essence Warden
Soul Warden
Veteran Explorer
Suture Priest
Humble Defector
Hunted Phantasm
Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist
Selvala, Explorer Returned
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Hunted Troll
Keeper of Progenitus
Akroan Horse
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Selfless Squire
Windborn Muse
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Hunted Dragon
Gahiji, Honored One
Progenitor Mimic
Blazing Archon

Spells

Burgeoning
Exploration
Minds Aglow
Collective Voyage
Swords to Plowshares
Arcane Denial
Oath of Druids
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Beast Within
Oblation
Ghostly Prison
Propaganda
Mana Flare
Heartbeat of Spring
Rites of Flourishing
Benevolent Offering
Tempt with Discovery
Parallel Lives
Reins of Power
Sphere of Safety
Fumigate
Primal Vigor
Sylvan Reclamation
Seeds of Renewal
Vicious Shadows
Warp World
Treacherous Terrain
Insurrection
Blasphemous Act
Sylvan Offering
Tempt With Vengeance
Comet Storm
Curse of Swine
Sphinx's Revelation
Sol Ring
Genesis Chamber
Commander's Sphere
Horn of Greed
Temple Bell
Prismatic Geoscope

Lands

Hallowed Fountain
Sacred Foundry
Stomping Ground
Breeding Pool
Azorius Chancery
Gruul Turf
Selesnya Sanctuary
Izzet Boilerworks
Command Tower
Mana Confluence
Reflecting Pool
Homeward Path
Exotic Orchard
Forbidden Orchard
Frontier Bivouac
Jungle Shrine
Mystic Monastery
Seaside Citadel
Krosan Verge
Blighted Woodland
Kor Haven
Ash Barrens
Plains x4
Island x4
Mountain x4
Forest x4

Full write up can be found over at the ol' blog, but figured I'd post the actual list here, so you can see what you helped create. No idea if this'll work or not, but I'll sleeve it up tonight or tomorrow afternoon so I can get some games in, hopefully, tomorrow night and Saturday night.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-02 1:46 am 

As long as you don't care for it actually being a token or for the CITP effect, Nature's Revolt is quite good at making sure your opponents have creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-02 2:37 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
As long as you don't care for it actually being a token or for the CITP effect, Nature's Revolt is quite good at making sure your opponents have creatures.

Yeah that was mentioned earlier in the thread, but turning lands into creatures opens the door to easy mass land destruction which is a no-no.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-05 2:25 am 

Update: Build the deck and got to play it this weekend. Was actually really fun, for the most part. I played a total of 4 games with the list and actually managed to win 2 of them.

Actually won the very first game I played going ham with mana doublers, Parallel Lives and Purphoros. I had Alchemists Refuge online, so I just flashed all the setup stuff in EOT right before my turn began, then untapped and cast a huge Tempt with Vengeance, after softening everyone up first with Treacherous Terrain (both opponents were over 50 life, so the TT wasn't actually necessary but I wanted to make damn sure).

Won another game off Vicious Shadows, cause that's what that card does. Boring WIN, but the game leading up to it was epic and fun.

Got screwed out of an epic Warp World TWICE though. :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-06 4:16 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Got screwed out of an epic Warp World TWICE though. :(

Just to be sure - you're aware that ownership of tokens has been changed, so you no longer get super WW off giving other people tokens, yes?

Comp Rules wrote:
110.5a A token is both owned and controlled by the player under whose control it entered the battlefield.

You may already be aware of this but I wanted to highlight it because
1. This thread is about giving opponents tokens
2. Tokens used to be owned by the player that created them, making it a legit strategy to spam tokens at everyone then cast WW.
3. No context on "epic warp world" statement.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-06 5:08 am 

Yeah, I'm aware. That rule change completely screwed over one of my favorite decks I'd ever built. :(

But in one game, I had way more tokens than anyone else so it was likely to be very advantageous for me. The other time I was just going to do it for shits, as everyone had like 75 tokens out at once.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-17 3:26 pm 

I'm trying to make my group hug formula work (something similar to what's been talked about on here, since it sounds more fun than most group hug I see), but what I've put together needs some serious adjustments to catch up to where I'm happy with it. I really like the name "Party Hard" for it though, after the Steam game with the same name.

Hey, thaumaturge, you might consider Incite Rebellion somewhere. I found a copy of one among my stuff and I think it fits really well with what you're trying to do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-17 9:49 pm 

Incite Rebellion is, possibly, a good call but so far in testing my build, I am pretty much always going to have as many creatures as my opponents, if not more.

So if my opponents have enough for Rebellion to do significant damage, then I almost certainly woul die to it as well.

If I had some sac outlets, that'd be a solution, but so far I'm not seeing room for any. Still, it's an idea to keep in my pocket for later and goes along with the Repercussion angle I originally wanted to have.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-18 12:38 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Incite Rebellion is, possibly, a good call but so far in testing my build, I am pretty much always going to have as many creatures as my opponents, if not more.

So if my opponents have enough for Rebellion to do significant damage, then I almost certainly woul die to it as well.

If I had some sac outlets, that'd be a solution, but so far I'm not seeing room for any. Still, it's an idea to keep in my pocket for later and goes along with the Repercussion angle I originally wanted to have.

I thought about this, but remembered to take a look at the list you have posted above: the Soul Sisters you are running should definitely help offset that damage and keep you alive. I don't know how much life you've managed to reach in games, but it might be a way to keep yourself alive (and right now, I'm trying out some fog effects like Blunt the Assault, Respite, and Riot Control to help keep my life total up).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-18 4:10 am 

So far I've only stuck a Warden in one game, and it gained me a very mediocre amount of life. It should work out as you say but so far it hasn't quite come together that ideally. Gonna have to get more games in with it to see how consistent it actually is.

What I like about the deck so far though is that it plays well enough and can even win games without hitting it's ideal scenarios. Even now that my group is aware of the deck's tricks, they still tend to be happy milking the hug effects until late game.

I might try to add Conregate as another massive lifegain effect to offset Rebellion, if I can swing it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-18 4:28 am 

Hopefully those effects end up working out for you. I'm currently going with the ridiculous plan of Hive Mind or using Curse of Echoes on myself and seeing if I can get it to work. It's certainly not wise to build my whole deck around a couple cards, but I'm still excited to resolved something like Sylvan Offering with one of them out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-29 1:17 pm 

Say, have you thought about Liege of the Hollows? It's not as clean as the hunted cards, but it still might get the job done if you're needing another of these effects. I ran across it while going through cards for another deck.

I think I'll probably try to find a spot in my deck for it, but I don't know. I really need to work on my group hug.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-21 6:36 am 

Can't forget about good ol' Acorn Catapult!

Too bad you're not going with Black. I had a deck similar to this in mind for awhile. I really wanted to one shot a table with Massacre Wurm. Infernal Genesis and Tombstone Stairwell work well for it

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-22 4:38 am 

Somehow, this:

Segrus wrote:
Say, have you thought about Liege of the Hollows?

made me go back in this thread to see if mentioned that VWR was my favorite deck when Brand still did what it should be doing, and that this is my favorite Magic article of all time. So imagine the suprise when I found that I hadn't mentioned that in this thread! At all!

A good thing the search engine showed me that I mentioned that fact before, in a very similar thread. Anyway, Segrus made me think of that article again. Read it, it's worth your time.

Perhaps it's an idea to rebuild this deck around Revel in Riches?

Offline Profile