Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-25 10:14 am

Post subject: Help me give my opponents tokens.
AgePosted: 2016-Nov-28 8:11 am 

Got kind of a crazy idea for Kynaios and Tiro, and part of the plan involves giving away lots of tokens.

Obviously, I'm going to be running the Hunted creatures, and just about everything I can find that is like Tempt with Vengeance or Alliance of Arms.

But looking for any further suggestions along those lines - how else can I give out tokens like crazy?

Also, as a way to turn this strategy into an actual way to win, I will be running Suture Priest and Purphoros, but what else can I use to punish them for making/having all those tokens (that doesn't require black, obv, which sadly would be the best color for this). Another idea I had was Repercussion + Blasphemous Act (or any Earthquake variant)...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Help me give my opponents tokens.
AgePosted: 2016-Nov-28 10:53 am 

Varchild's War-Riders and Akroan Horse seem obvious (although I think the Horse comes in the deck with the Couple). Would it be crazy to include Hive Mind to get crazy doses of Alliance in Arms/Tempt with Vengeance/Firecat Blitz/etc.? Which would mean you could also possibly one-shot people as a back-up if you need to.

Vicious Shadows would be a clever way to punish your opponents for having tons of creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-28 11:33 am 

Forbidden Orchard

You can turn their lands into creatures as well (although that could be overboard in most metas)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-28 11:53 am 

Seed the Land, perhaps?

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-28 3:02 pm 

Since Varchild's War-Riders was already said (loved that deck with Aether Flash back in OG Type 2)

Are Phelddagrif and Questing Phelddagrif options? They don't tap.
Death by Dragons
Genesis Chamber
Elephant Resurgence
Druid's Call (throw it on an Indestructible unit)

Destruction based:
Mogg Infestation
Descent of the Dragons
Curse of the Swine
Terastodon
Mercy Killing
Ovinomancer

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 12:12 am 

If you want to go full-on silly combo, start here,

Treamayne wrote:
Are Phelddagrif and Questing Phelddagrif options? They don't tap.

Then add a mana dork, Intruder Alarm, and The Great Aurora.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 1:37 am 

Ok, stupidly made this thread right before I left work, assuming I'd check it at home, but nope, I never got back on, once I got home. Thanks for all the replies!

@ Sergus - Yes, the horse is already in the precon, so that's a gimme, but the War Riders is also a great suggestion... I always forget about that card because I don't own any. I'll keep my eyes open for a chance to pick one up, but might be a while. Oh, and Vicious Shadows is exactly the type of card I was looking for! Perfect suggestion! The Hive Mind plan is a bit too far, though.

@ Jelik - I think Forbidden Orchard is already in the deck, but otherwise it is the type of card I am looking for. And, yeah, turning lands into creatures might be kind of over the line for my group. Too easy to go from that to mass LD which is a big no-no for me.

@ Jeyal - Seed the Land! HA! I am pretty sure I have a few of those lying around somewhere. That might just make the cut.

@ Tremayne - Lots of good suggestions, but I especially like Genesis Chamber. Curse of the Swine and Mogg Infestation are also fairly likely to make the cut as well.

@ Sid the Chicken - Thats... actually, it's pretty hilarious. Hmm, I might have to think about that.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, I think I have more than enough for what I want to do. The main focus of the deck is to use things like Gahiji and Edric and other political cards to just gently persuade everyone to kill each other, but I also need ways to win once it's down to me and one other person. I also need ways to win if the gentle persuasion and politics approach fails.

If I can make everything fit, I also want to include a Mana Doublers/X Spell subtheme where I just play lots of Mana Flare effects, draw cards with stuff like Sphinx's Rev/Stroke/Invoke the Firemind, and then maybe win with a big Comet Storm, Clan Defiance or something like that.

But I still also need all the group hug/pillow fort stuff too, so maybe it's too much? Dunno. It's still in the theorycraft stage at this point, but I'll keep you posted.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 5:42 am 

Some other options;
Burning Sands... kind of a dick move, but I'm including it for completeness.
Faces of the Past
Goblin Sharpshooter is a repeatable way to kill the tokens you make
Hissing Iguanar would go very well with it
Rage Thrower the iguanar's big brother
Inheritance? Prolly too weak.
Moonlit Wake
Murder of Crows
Selhoff Occultist
and the aforementioned Vicious Shadows.

Having Elesh Norn or Crovax, Ascendant Hero around would cause all X/2 or X/1 creatures you give your opponents to die immediately, netting you triggers.

I guess Dovescape would be another way to give tokens, although it applies to you as well.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 8:25 am 

Yeah some of those are going a bit too deep on the punishment angle. That aspect was meant to be a minor thing. Primarily the deck is just going to be pillow-fort/hug as per the original list, but where I am going deep is on the "everybody gets tokens" angle.

However, plan A is to just pillow-fort/politic well enough that everybody focuses on killing each other, instead of me. I just need a few high-impact cards to end the game once that plan works (or double as a Plan B for when that plan doesn't work).

However, Goblin Sharpshooter is always fun in a tokens deck, and I like Moonlit Wake as a non-threatening way to stay alive without drawing a lot of hate... however, keeping track of all those triggers is a bit daunting.

I'll certainly keep these suggestions in mind when I start working on the deck, but I think Vicious Shadows is pretty much THE card I didn't know I was looking for. Between it and Purphoros I don't need a lot more punishment. More to the point, I just don't think I'm going to have room for more than 3 or 4 cards of this type once I put all the other necessities in.

That all said, I always appreciate the thoroughness. You never can tell what's "going too deep" versus being "cool secret tech".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-29 1:19 pm 

There are a couple of cards that makes creatures hit their controller.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 2:49 am 

Alliance of Arms, Tempt with Vengeance, Sylvan Offering- x spells helped by mana multipliers.

Angel's Trumpet- can help force attacks

Terastodon- a little different but gives a token or 3 while removing real threats.

Echoing Courage- can turn an attack lethal

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 3:01 am 

Jelik wrote:
It's so situational that it's probably not actually good... but I LOVE the idea of using this to pump an opponent's guys while their in combat with someone else, either to buff the defending player to blow out the attacker, or buff the attacker to blow out the defender. Yeah, I really want to try to fit this is somehow.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 3:38 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Jelik wrote:
It's so situational that it's probably not actually good... but I LOVE the idea of using this to pump an opponent's guys while their in combat with someone else, either to buff the defending player to blow out the attacker, or buff the attacker to blow out the defender. Yeah, I really want to try to fit this is somehow.

Tribal Unity will also fit if you end up making lots of tokens of similiar creature types.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 8:52 am 

It would amuse me to use Infinite Reflection on Varchild's War-Riders to give lots of tokens to everyone. And it also feels like there should be some use for Mirrorweave here, but without granting additional upkeeps to someone or something I don't know that you could give someone lots of tokens and then turn them all into War-Riders. Mirrorweave could also be used to effectively pump up another player's combat step.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-30 2:35 pm 

Segrus wrote:
It would amuse me to use Infinite Reflection on Varchild's War-Riders to give lots of tokens to everyone. And it also feels like there should be some use for Mirrorweave here, but without granting additional upkeeps to someone or something I don't know that you could give someone lots of tokens and then turn them all into War-Riders. Mirrorweave could also be used to effectively pump up another player's combat step.

You could Mirrorweave all tokens into something like Sell-sword Brute right before a board wipe. In response to your Wrath...

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile