Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 12:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-03 7:27 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Let's kick it old-school: Find a deck that wants to play Lich. (Read the oracle text for the best piece of rules text ever. "As Lich enters the battlefield, lose life equal to your life total.")

I'll go with Selenia, Dark Angel, because pretty much every Selenia deck I've ever seen Aims to pay all their life to her ability and then use something like Magus of the Mirror or Repay in Kind to bring people low... this would let them flat-out kill.

Who wants Omnispell Adept?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-03 10:11 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Who wants Omnispell Adept?

"A spell slinger deck" sounds like the obvious choice, but my first thought for that is Melek, Izzet Paragon who doesn't like the adept at all. If Omnispell Adept is either cheating out Enter the Infinite or not advancing the game plan then I wouldn't say it's good in the deck. So how do you get it to be an in-between?

The adept casts instants and sorceries for 2U and casts them at instant speed. So a deck playing sorceries (like Overflowing Insight) could hold them up for the same price as a Cancel. So, which commanders want to cast big spells (but not X spells)?

Taigam, Ojutai Master, Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge and Will Kenrith are possibly the better options. Taigam gives access to white's bigger spells like... Gaining arbitrarily determined large amounts of life, nuking the board with your Taigam/Adept on it and making big plays with the artifacts and enchantments in your big spells deck.

So I'd have to say my answer's Jeleva. She's in the colours that have access to big sorceries that are actually helpful and she doesn't want X spells, because she cheats them into play herself. While you can manipulate your library to make sure you have your spells available, Omnispell Adept would provide a less all or nothing alternative to brainstorming and exiling the big uncastable sorceries stuck in your hand.

So let's see... What would you do to make the most of my favourite card from Amonkhet block, Shefet Monitor?

(Edit: Whoops. Today I learned Overwhelming Intellect and Overflowing Insight are completely different cards.)

Maelstrom Wanderer - Judge's headache.
Yasova Dragonclaw - Yasova Tinyclaw/Slightly-less-tinyclaw
Kruphix, God of Horizons - That Which Was Taken by Kruphix
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Blackless dredge
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - Monogreen Superfriends
The Mimeoplasm - Going big
Pharika, God of Affliction - Hemlock

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-04 5:51 am 

Ski Gloves wrote:
So let's see... What would you do to make the most of my favourite card from Amonkhet block, Shefet Monitor?

Mayael the Anima is what popped into my head first, as this is Krosan Tusker but a little bit different. There aren't a ton of "Desert Matters" cards so it really is just a land fetcher that can be a beater if you already have 20 lands out. Not a bad card by any means, but fairly easy to put into any Gxx deck as they all pretty much want to draw cards and accelerate mana.

What about Geistblast?

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-06 3:01 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
What about Geistblast?

When Wizards created the Aftermath mechanic in Amonkhet, I immediately thought of this card as a kind of forerunner. Initially, I was really excited about it; I liked the mechanic of graveyard-only activation, thought it had some nice card efficiency for a pair of good effects. As time went on, I found this card 1 mana (total) too costly to be really good; 3-mana for burn of 2 has never been too exciting, and 3-mana spell copy is sub-par, and gluing them together perhaps does not make it good enough. If either effect was 2 mana, it could be playable.

I think this card wants to be, generically in any U/R deck control or combo deck, though it specifically does not have the desired synergy with Mizzix of the Izmagus.

I would want to play it in Will Kenrith/Rowan Kenrith. Because of their heavy mana costs, early control would be desirable, while being able to copy a Time Warp (even on an empty board) or draw spell later would be especially desirable. I did forget about this card when building my own Will/Rowan deck, and I'm now tempted to try and find a slot for it.

How do y'all feel about Day's Undoing?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-06 6:34 am 

Sinis wrote:
How do y'all feel about Day's Undoing?

Overall? It's a powerful card that has every stop gap in place to stop it from being broken.

Day's Undoing, unlike every other wheel card has the end the turn clause. Which means the usual suspects for wheels have the awkward situation where their draw triggers cease to exist. Which means you'd have to jump through hoops to use it at instant speed, but then it's an A+B+Commander combo to get... A bunch of draw triggers, why bother?

Unlike a lot of wheels, Day's Undoing deletes the graveyard refills the library. So a Dredge deck looking to set up a beautiful turn would also prefer Day's Undoing be replaced by a lot of other options. There's certainly an argument to using it to recycle your deck if you somehow manage to over-dredge. But I'm the type who would rather be hoisted by my petard in this instance.

If you're a velocity-type deck that churns through the library so fast you want to be able to refill it, you'd probably want one or two cards that could let you do that. I'm not sure how many times a game a deck like that would want to reset, but since Day's Undoing exiles itself I would probably go for other options.

If you're playing stuff that benefits from ending the turn, then there actually aren't a lot of options. Quicken+Day's Undoing honestly seems like a decent inclusion if you're wanting as many end the turn effects as possible (Sundial of the Infinite, Time Stop, etc.). A weird Jeskai taking turns variant running Chance for Glory, Glorious End and other cards your don't want the end step triggers of. The commander I would put at the helm would be Shu Yun or Ruhan. Shu Yun is probably the stronger commander choice, but Ruhan gets the added synergy of ending your own turn if you don't like Ruhan's combat decisions.

As a fair card? It could help with fighting combo decks that keep their pieces in their hand or in the graveyard, while acting as a reasonable draw spell for yourself. If you're in a meta where people maintain hands of 5+ cards regularly and you're a fair blue deck capable of dumping its hand, Day's Undoing could just be a decent inclusion for pure value. Sadly that's a bit too vague for me to make any specific recommendations, I think this might work best for an Arixmethes or Kydele deck, since they make the mana you would need to dump your hand quickly.

So yeah, my answer's Ruhan Time Stop tribal. (Why.)

Next Up: Brass's Bounty

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-06 7:14 am 

Ski Gloves wrote:

Daretti, Scrap Savant no question, you get some artifacts to play with or some extra mana. What is not to love?

So, how would you use Domri Rade?

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-06 7:31 am 

Ski Gloves wrote:

A friend once described this as a "free do-nothing". He's changed his opinion on it having lost to it several times now.

I play it currently, in a Treasure/artifact-oriented grixis deck with OG Nicol Bolas at the helm (mine is a From the Vaults copy).

You can go places if you play Time Sieve, Blinkmoth Urn, Cranial Plating, etc. Sometimes you can win off Revel in Riches, or Marionette Master. Quicksmith Genius can let you dig very deep, very fast.

All that said, Saheeli, the Gifted or Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer can get so much crazy immediate value out of it that I'm surprised it wasn't included in that precon.

If I had to choose, Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer gets the nod. Even a half-interesting token could be overwhelming if Brudiclad copies it onto Brass' jackpot tokens.

Edit: next person can follow up with Inkeyes22's Domri Rade

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-06 9:58 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
So, how would you use Domri Rade?

His -7 is great, but nonspecific. It can benefit any deck with even a smattering of creatures. Any deck with red and green and a high density of creatures is going to get mileage out of his +1. Domri's real interesting one is the -2 ability. Having a semi-repeatable way to make your creatures fight is wonderful (a game I played in last week was all-but-dominated by a Contested Cliffs...).

So, red and green identity, creature heavy, likes to fight. Ruric Thar is a great option if you want to stick to Gruul, but I think we can get a bit of extra benefit by adding either black (for Living Death/reanimator shenanigans...fighting and forgetting) or blue (for any number of ways to look at the top of your library and guarantee +1 hits).

There's an Intet, the Dreamer "manipulate the top card of your library" deck that I always think about (but have never got around to building) with all sorts of things like Mirri's Guile, Future Sight, Galvanoth, Djinn of Wishes and the like. Domri Rade fits right in.

How about a deck that would play Mirror Match?

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-07 4:04 am 

Jeyal wrote:
There's an Intet, the Dreamer "manipulate the top card of your library" deck that I always think about (but have never got around to building) with all sorts of things like Mirri's Guile, Future Sight, Galvanoth, Djinn of Wishes and the like. Domri Rade fits right in.
I have built this deck twice, years apart, and it's super fun. I didn't own a Domri, but they would have fit in just fine.

Quote:
How about a deck that would play Mirror Match?

The card is too restrictive to really be anything other than an attacking answer + value. How good it's going to be will always be dependent on what your opponents are attacking with, and it's not clear that you will get the kind of value you want. Even doubling the tokens (with something like Parallel Lives) won't really do all that much for you; they all get exiled at the end of combat.

You're basically going to need a way to sacrifice them for value during your opponent's combat step and few generals in blue really want to play that game, and can do so cheaply after Mirror Match's 6 mana investment.

Let's say Vela the Night-Clad. Black gives plenty of sacrifice outlets, can disproportionately reward sacrifices (with Grave Pact style effects, among others). Vela herself offers a small punishment for the tokens leaving play with her trigger, and could use the defensive capabilities of Mirror Match since she wants to attack, taking advantage of her team-intimidate.

How about Hydra Omnivore? I like the card, but haven't really ever played with it...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-07 1:06 pm 

Sinis wrote:
How about Hydra Omnivore? I like the card, but haven't really ever played with it...

Pretty much any G deck could use it, give it trample and away it goes. I think it is probably best in Xenagos, God of Revels as your whole game plan is typically to deal as much damage as possible as soon as possible. hitting everybody for 8 isn't bad, but hitting for 16? yeah that is where it is at. Giving it trample in green is so easy.

Talk to me about Soul Sculptor.

Shabbaman wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-08 11:51 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Talk to me about Soul Sculptor.

Now that's an interesting card that I haven't seen in a long while. I'll say Zacama, Primal Calamity, since you can use Zacama's green ability to kill the imprisoned creatures before they can be freed, in addition to cuteness like dodging wraths by targeting your own important creatures.

Now let's talk Akroan Horse.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-08 2:03 pm 

Purphoros, God of the Forge. The horse wants to be in a deck that both cares about tokens but doesn’t particularly care about turning those tokens sideways to smash face.

Sticking with Theros, who wants to play Thassa’s Emissary?

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-09 12:31 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Purphoros, God of the Forge. The horse wants to be in a deck that both cares about tokens but doesn’t particularly care about turning those tokens sideways to smash face.

Sticking with Theros, who wants to play Thassa’s Emissary?

Stick with Theros? Then I'll suggest my favourite deck I built from Theros Standard, Azorius Heroic.

There are plenty of commander options to go for, Geist of Saint Traft, Bruna, Light of Alabaster, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, Dragonlord Ojutai, etc. But Daxos of Meletis brings built-in evasion with a saboteur trigger. Saint Traft is probably better over all thanks to Hexproof, but Daxos seems like a fun synergy choice with the Emissary.

Daxos having evasion is great for heroic, as one of the best heroic enablers is Hidden Strings and the cipher allows Daxos to nab four heroic triggers. Throw in Trait Doctoring and a couple actually good cipher cards for extra value. Daxos being very cheap to cast is great for the archetype too, since it means you aren't set back too much as you drop your heroes. After that, all you gotta do is use your white and blue spells to protect your team and keep the janky value train rolling.

So... For something completely different, what would you do with Flamewright?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-09 5:28 pm 

Ski Gloves wrote:
So... For something completely different, what would you do with Flamewright?

Well, she fits in either an "artifacts matter" shell, or a "defenders matter" shell. I think the second ability is more or less irrelevant - there are times when it might be useful, especially if you can give the Flamewright deathtouch, but overall, it's the first ability that you play the card for.

Breya would be one option, helping generate fodder for to sacrifice and fuel cards that care about the number of artifacts you have. Could also help turn on Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer, but I'm not sold on this, since the tokens can't attack without help.

There really aren't any defender-focused legends that I can think of.

I'm gonna say that Zedruu might be the best option, giving you a stream of cheap and relatively non-threatening things to donate to your opponents for card advantage.

Next - who can get the most out of Doom Whisperer?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-12 4:39 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Next - who can get the most out of Doom Whisperer?

I gotta say, I like this card because I'm a fan of midrange beaters with the demon subtype, but, this guy is way overvalued monetarily.

Anyway, I think the very obvious answers are The Gitrog Monster and Sidisi, Brood Tyrant. Either of these very much enjoys what's going on with Doom Whisperer. I think those are boring answers, though.

I don't think there's too much more depth to the card. There is the potential for a W/B deck where you can abuse the unlimited life payment (and then switch life totals via Axis of Mortality, Mirror Universe or similar), but I feel like there are better cards.

So, let's go with Sidisi, Brood Tyrant.

Have we talked about Bloodtracker yet? (not Atraxa, plz)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next