Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-22 7:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Game: I Need A Hero!
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-07 4:59 am 

Jeyal wrote:
How about a spot for Kulrath Knight? Bonus points if it isn't the Scorpion God.

I run it in Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch. It's a decent enough hate card on its own (stuff it, Cathars' Crusade!), but it also has synergy with two cards I am already running for their interaction with Exava: Unspeakable Symbol (free haste enabler) and Everlasting Torment (first strike on Exava means the creatures blocking her need at least 8 total power just to trade with her). In the past I have also had Puncture Blast in the deck, and I am currently running Scorpion God in the 99.

It also could go into any deck with Mark of Mutiny. I have been toying with a "make enemy creatures big, then PUNISH THEM" deck concept, and while the two easiest Commanders for this (Ghave and Daghatar) don't have red in their identity, I think BRG have the best support for it. Kulrath Knight, Mark of Mutiny, Shriveling Rot, Sheltering Ancient, Dead Man's Chest, Backlash, etc. I'm not sure who the ideal Commander for such a list would be, probably either Shattergang Brothers or Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire.

Talk to me about Saving Grace.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-07 8:47 am 

Jeyal wrote:
How about a spot for Kulrath Knight? Bonus points if it isn't the Scorpion God.

Mathas, Fiend Seeker was the first thing that came to mind. I did a quick search for possible other commanders, and nothing really fit, I mean a Adun Oakenshield Knight tribal would probably be crappy since you would not have the White Knights and pay offs... Edgar Markov is also a Knight for some odd reason, but if you are not playing Vampires with him... why are you playing him?

So I ask, who do you think would best support Hardened Scales?

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-07 12:03 pm 

Probably anyone that cares about +1/+1 counters, like Jenara and Ghave. It's true it isn't as vicious as Doubling Season or Deepglow Skate, but it has the advantage of a much easier to handle casting cost. I'm not so much thinking in terms of turn one plays, as being able to cast some other spell alongside it (e.g. Strength of the Tajuru).

Continuing the theme of Mercadian Masques cards that might have merely been overlooked...Cowardice?

EDIT: Just realized that Hardened Scales probably works best if you have some persist cards around (e.g. Glen Elendra Archmage, Cauldron of Souls). Unlike Doubling Season, the persist counters won't be increased.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-07 5:17 pm 

Skyknight wrote:
Continuing the theme of Mercadian Masques cards that might have merely been overlooked...Cowardice?

That makes Blind Seer kind of good. With some color hosers and Dismiss into Dream that might be a deck. (Also any version of Niv-Mizzet, for a less janky option.)

intreped's post got overlooked, so I'll repeat:
intreped wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-08 12:42 am 

intreped wrote:

Screams Cho-Manno, Revolutionary, throw on a Pariah later on and you just are not going to take damage this game... at least until the next board wipe.

Still in Masques' block, what about Infernal Genesis?

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-08 1:16 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Still in Masques' block, what about Infernal Genesis?

Oooh, boy, this one looks fun. :twisted: *rubs hands together*

I'd play this in Yahenni, Undying Partisan or in Krav, the Unredeemed/Regna, the Redeemer. I can't pick. Both feel awesome. Everyone gets minions, but...

Yahenni: ... your minions help keep Yahenni indestructible when you need that, and your opponents' minions dying help make him bigger.
Play Deadly Tempest in this deck too. If you draw it and Infernal Genesis, wait until all your opponents have some minions (or otherwise wide boards) then play Deadly Tempest. While it's on the stack, feed every creature you control but ~2 of them to Yahenni to minimise the effect it will have on you, and watch everyone lose a ton of life and watch Yahenni grow huge. Then attack someone. 8) (Those 2 creatures are insurance: if Deadly Tempest is countered, you keep 2 creatures available to make Yahenni indestructible still. If it isn't countered, you lose just 2 life, which is less than all your opponents lose.)

Krav/Regna: ... your minions feed Krav, make him bigger, gain you life, and draw you cards. Then Regna gives you two warriors. Also include Anointed Procession to double all of that, and cards like Ravos, Soultender to get back the cards you milled. (Don't forget to play Together Forever!)

~~~

Shaman of the Great Hunt. One of my favorite cards but I'm not sure I've found the right home for him yet. How would you use him?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-08 9:24 am 

I'm thinking of Surrak Dragonclaw here, simply because the tokens will build up easily from trample, and then make trample even more effective. Ramos is another possibility, if only to get to the mana accrual ability even more quickly.

Otherwise, though, I'm drawing a blank. I had incorporated him into my Yasova chart, even though I realized the problem (if you don't have/can't use a sacrifice outlet, chances are good you just gave a free +1/+1 counter to an opponent), if only to help strengthen Yasova herself. But that said, doesn't actually do much for her.

Skybind

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-08 9:31 am 

Skyknight wrote:

Pretty sure that came in the precon with Daxos the Returned, so maybe that is cheating?

Phyrexia's Core

Shabbaman wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-08 11:52 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Skyknight wrote:

Pretty sure that came in the precon with Daxos the Returned, so maybe that is cheating?

Phyrexia's Core

Doesn’t look like it did. Although after submitting, I took a look at EDHRec. Seems Skybind is already popular for Daxos the Returned decks...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-08 12:46 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Skyknight wrote:

Phyrexia's Core

Skybind is popular in Daxos, but I also played it (and tutored for it frequently) in Heliod, God of the Sun. An overlooked feature of Heliod is that the clerics he generates are Enchantments, and that means fun flickery times with Skybind (and is semi-abusive with something like Serra's Sanctum).

Phyrexia's Core feels like a generic sac outlet. It looks a lot like High Market, but for another type (that doesn't usually need the sac outlets).

Any deck running Spine of Ish Sah will want it. I'm quite certain it came in the Daretti precon, but didn't in the Saheeli, the Gifted deck. I'd probably play it there.

How about Permeating Mass?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-08 4:07 pm 

I'm thinking Kamahl, Fist of Krosa. Permeating Mass wants three things out of a general: being kept alive, synergy with Lure effects, and a generally combat-focused deck. Kamahl does all three swimmingly.

Ghastly Conscription

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-09 4:33 am 

The suggestion of Saving Grace made me instantly think Stuffy Doll,Spitemare,Boros Reckoner, etc. Earthquakes and Chain Reactions and Blasphemous Acts all play nicely with the Tajic, Legion's Edge. I'm greedily imagining someone killing Tajic in response to a sweeper that would normally miss all of your critters, only to get Saving Grace placed on the Doll in response...I'll be putting this together and seeing what I can make of it.

As for Ghastly Conscription, I'm not sure this is the best option, but if Marchesa, the Black Rose puts a +1/+1 counter on the face down creatures, when they die, they're returned from that opponent's graveyard to your control face-up...

How about a good home for a Thundermare?

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Currently Theorycrafting)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-09 10:35 pm 

Jeyal wrote:
How about a good home for a Thundermare?

I think you ought to use this in Gyrus, Waker of Corpses or Feldon of the Third Path.

Gyrus and Feldon both let us bring Thundermare in at instant speed just after declaring attackers, before our opponents declare their blockers. This means we swing at whoever we want and then tap down all their blockers. Our at-this-point 6/6-or-bigger Gyrus will connect for commander damage, beside our other big stompy Jund creatures.

Gyrus will be better at self-milling to get access to Thundermare without ever casting it, but can only copy Thundermare once since we have to exile the card from our graveyard. Feldon has weaknesses from being mono-red, but lets us re-summon Thundermare repeatedly each combat, and we can use cards like Tormenting Voice to discard Thundermare into our graveyard for him to use.

~~~

Hatchery Spider

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-10 12:59 am 

spacemonaut wrote:

Ishkanah, Grafwidow and Thantis, the Warweaver are the tribal options, without a decent amount of creatures in your graveyard Hatchery Spider is kinda meh, I mean sure it blocks most Dragons without dying or whatever but you don't really win by blocking. Doran, the Siege Tower will at least let it eat most creatures that are not Eldrazi, so I would go that route. Play lots of cheap creatures like Disowned Ancestor or Lagonna-Band Trailblazer. Once those guys are hitting for tons of damage, someone will wrath. Then you play your spider.

So, what about this guy: Possessed Centaur

Shabbaman wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-11 6:36 am 

Possessed Centaur needs a few things to be better than a stock 3/3- -cards in your own graveyard, green creatures controlled by an opponent, and, (optionally) some synergy with tap abilities. Let's see if we can build backwards to get that.

Useful ways to turn a creature green: Scuttlemutt, Viridescent Wisps, Lifelace (a stretch), Aisling Leprechaun, (borderline), Quirion Druid (becomes expensive, targeted LD)

Adun Oakenshield, much like Possessed Centaur, wants cards (creatures, specifically) in your graveyard, and has similar synergy with tap abilities. Tap synergy plays nicely with Scuttlemutt, his ability gets your Aisling Leprechauns back...

---------

On 'cards that always seem to be the 'last one cut': Rubblebelt Raiders

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Currently Theorycrafting)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next