Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Jul-20 12:41 am

Post subject: Re: How do I toolbox?
AgePosted: 2017-May-19 2:01 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Do you mean most toolbox EDH decks or most EDH decks in general?

Most EDH decks want to toolbox in some form or another. It does ofcourse happen in degrees- but after my first couples years of Commander, I just learned that if I'm going to play tutors, they need to have a specific set of high power targets to cover for different vulnerabilities that the enhanced level of variance in EDH- even with the most powerful tutors like Demonic Tutor.

IE, if you're entwining a Tooth and Nail and have to fumble through your deck to know what you want- you're wasting everyone's time; but if you get the pair of creatures that just finish the game or prevent your elimination- it's a very strong, very praise-worthy play- and a strong indication that your deck is well-built.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-19 2:13 am 

Well in that case I regret to inform you that we're on opposite ends of the deckbuilding philosophy scale. I (try to) build decks that play different from each other. Cramming toolbox components and tutors in every deck makes them feel like they play the same.

Which leads me to my problem with toolbox. From this thread it feels like tutors + answers is the most popular way to do it. I guess my challenge is to find a way to build a deck with enough redundant synergy engines (Karador being the most popular) to provide answers OR find a deck that gains benefits from playing them (Shu Yun etc.)

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-19 2:43 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Well in that case I regret to inform you that we're on opposite ends of the deckbuilding philosophy scale. I (try to) build decks that play different from each other. Cramming toolbox components and tutors in every deck makes them feel like they play the same.

Which leads me to my problem with toolbox. From this thread it feels like tutors + answers is the most popular way to do it. I guess my challenge is to find a way to build a deck with enough redundant synergy engines (Karador being the most popular) to provide answers OR find a deck that gains benefits from playing them (Shu Yun etc.)

I regret to inform you that I understand that perspective, and don't mean to come down on it like I don't appreciate the concepts you seem to value ;). It isn't just about tutors, though- it's about using the right sort of tools to improve your cardflow, and tutors can help you get there. Conch Horn, for example, is a pet egg I like to play in any deck that has a sufficient amount of shuffle effects. Accelerating draw as a form of filtration on an easy-to-recur artifact can functionally add the same sort of power-boost as trying to hard-tutor or multi-tutor everything you need (and to boot, compliments other tutors, sources of incidental/granular drawpower/filtration.) I find Shrine of Piercing Vision to be woefully underrated tech for the same reasons- since if your deck is redundant enough, it is often better than many tutors.

It's easy enough to get around toolboxing in the strictest sense, but it's also frequently rewarding to dovetail effects that functionally do a similar trick (it's the same sort of theorycraft that explains why looting and rummaging are almost never bad.)

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile