Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Feb-22 8:12 pm

Post subject: Wishing for Wish's: An optional sideboard
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-01 5:13 am 

A little back story first, I'm not a huge EDH player my home is in competitive tournaments especially modern although most of my buddies love EDH. My typical week is generally filled with messages about " x card vs y card" today's Mastermind's Aquisition vs Beseech the queen and I have yet to come across an "outside the game" effect in edh so I did a little digging. Much to my disappointment I discovered that "outside the game" effects are not present in EDH, to me that is a real same because those effects encapsulate the casual spirit.

The fix would seem fairly easy just have your playgroup agree on the rules for these cards although here comes my problem and the reason I'm here today. [spoiler=]I like to play competitively[/spoiler]. I did a bit of reading up on this and it seems in the past in sanctioned EDH tournaments there used to be an optional 10 card sideboard rule. I'd love to see that rule again officially so we can be graced by our wonderful Wish cycle and other cards like them in this splendid formant.

You guys might be thinking "Do we really want to deal with making space for a sideboard for the few sanctioned events there are?" My answers to that is absolutely! I hate to see an effect on fringe played cards that can't be used in even EDH, I'd love to see the 10 card optional sideboard rule be made official again so I can sleeve up my wishes and show my opponents in some GP side events what a 10 card sideboard can do.

Not sure if the appropriate people will see this post but whoever reads this thanks for your time

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wishing for Wish's: An optional sideboard
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-02 4:32 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Lakaen wrote:
I did a bit of reading up on this and it seems in the past in sanctioned EDH tournaments there used to be an optional 10 card sideboard rule. I'd love to see that rule again officially so we can be graced by our wonderful Wish cycle and other cards like them in this splendid formant.

There has never been a rule for this. If the people sanctioning a tournament want to put in a rule like this, they are, of course, welcome to.

There was once a section of optional variants that included various mulligan rules, league points and mentioned sideboards (along with pre-sideboarding once Commanders were revealed). That was removed because some people liked to claim they were official rules and force their compatriots to adopt it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-02 9:02 am 

Lakaen wrote:
I'm not a huge EDH player my home is in competitive tournaments especially modern although most of my buddies love EDH.

If your EDH-loving buddies are willing, this can be easily house-ruled. Have you approached them about this? If you have, and they have refused to allow it, turning around and trying to get the RC to make official sideboard rules is kind of a dick move. If you haven't asked, try asking. They may be willing to accommodate you.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-02 6:01 pm 

Well, at least one of the appropriate people saw this...

My own opinion, I think wishboards would be a good thing, but a lot of people like to say it will hold 10 hoser cards like Flashfires etc. or it will make for lazy building (I couldn't decide on the last few cuts so I thew in Death Wish.) Reality is that it will likely have silver bullets in there, I mean why wouldn't you put in Kaya's Wrath in there?

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-03 12:39 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
I mean why wouldn't you put in Kaya's Wrath in there?

Because it's a bad wrath effect? There are very VERY few situations where you wouldn't rather have Fumigate. Specifically you need to be in a spot where either you don't want to gain as much life for some reason and/or you can wish for a 4-drop and cast it immediately but not a 5, AND you have the black available too AND you've already got all the other 4-mana options main and thus unavailable for the wishboard.

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Reality is that it will likely have silver bullets in there

Realistically that's the same thing as having 10 hoser cards. Your "silver bullet" sideboard would be full of cards that are narrow in application but very effective at what they do, such that you wouldn't want them every game, but they're worth the effort of wishing for them when you need them... that's what hosers are.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-03 10:28 am 

If you really want to be a Spikey player in Commander, I can show you a whole new world, one where even if we had a wishboard, we wouldn't bother using it because anything not worth putting mainboard is too narrow and slow anyways, with wishes being really bad tutors. One where people aim to either combo off on turn 3, or be able to disrupt everyone else by then. It's not exactly the commander most people play, but it's my own preference.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-03 11:09 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
I mean why wouldn't you put in Kaya's Wrath in there?

Because it's a bad wrath effect? There are very VERY few situations where you wouldn't rather have Fumigate. Specifically you need to be in a spot where either you don't want to gain as much life for some reason and/or you can wish for a 4-drop and cast it immediately but not a 5, AND you have the black available too AND you've already got all the other 4-mana options main and thus unavailable for the wishboard.

You can't Glittering Wish for Fumigate and Supreme Verdict doesn't gain life

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-04 7:03 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
My own opinion, I think wishboards would be a good thing, but a lot of people like to say it will hold 10 hoser cards like Flashfires etc. or it will make for lazy building (I couldn't decide on the last few cuts so I thew in Death Wish.) Reality is that it will likely have silver bullets in there, I mean why wouldn't you put in Kaya's Wrath in there?
Why wouldnt you put Flashfires in there? No downside of zero white players, house if there are. This is why I think Wish boards are a terrible idea without 100% buy in from a closed group.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-08 8:13 am 

Penthoplayer wrote:
If you really want to be a Spikey player in Commander, I can show you a whole new world, one where even if we had a wishboard, we wouldn't bother using it because anything not worth putting mainboard is too narrow and slow anyways, with wishes being really bad tutors. One where people aim to either combo off on turn 3, or be able to disrupt everyone else by then. It's not exactly the commander most people play, but it's my own preference.

I'd love to find a middle ground between compeitive and casual.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-08 10:02 am 

Lakaen wrote:
Penthoplayer wrote:

I'd love to find a middle ground between compeitive and casual.

Pretty much everybody is somewhere on the spectrum. I would say that I lean more towards the Competitive side, but I intentionally limit myself in deckbuilding. I do try to make optimal plays when I am playing though.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile