Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-16 1:38 am

Post subject: Damping Engine Errata?
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-10 12:12 pm 

Damping Engine reads: "A player who controls more permanents than any other cannot play lands or artifact, creature, or enchantment spells."

However, the Gatherer text reads: "A player who controls more permanents than each other player can't play lands or cast artifact, creature, or enchantment spells."

Was this card subject to an errata or a typo? I'm stumped because the two texts describe very different behaviors in multiplayer.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Damping Engine Errata?
AgePosted: 2018-Nov-10 12:53 pm 

It's because a lot of old cards were written with only 2-player Magic in mind. A whole lot of them got changed to take multiplayer magic into consideration, and to make them work the same in multiplayer as they were intended to in 2-player.

In this case it may be a little different, though, as "any other" has two possible natural language definitions in multiplayer, so it could just be that they changed the wording to clarify what meaning of "any other" they intended.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-10 2:06 pm 

My interpretation of the original text is that the card affects all but the player(s) with the least. I read it as "a player who controls more permanents than any other (player)".

To me, the phrasing "a player who controls more permanents than each other player" clearly specifies one player with the most permanents, or zero in case of a tie. However, the card would otherwise be originally printed as "a player who controls more permanents than every other (player)".

Just wondering, what interpretations did you come up with?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Nov-10 3:36 pm 

Oraster wrote:
My interpretation of the original text is that the card affects all but the player(s) with the least. I read it as "a player who controls more permanents than any other (player)".

My interpretation (as of first read) is the opposite.

As Willbender said "any other" can have multiple meanings... consider if you are told to pick on a football team the player who is taller than any other player ... you'd only pick the person who is the tallest.

So you can see that it can be both "than every other player" (as is in my above example) or it can be "than anyone else" as in your interpretation. They probably changed it just to clarify that they intended it to specifically be "every other player" ... because they were finding that there was indeed some confusion :D

Online Profile