Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-21 3:55 pm

Post subject: Quick question about imprint cards
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-06 7:51 pm 

This situation occurred in a game I played tonight.

Myr Welder uses its activated ability to exile (imprint) Prototype Portal and later, Executioner's Capsule.

Can the Myr Welder make token copies of the Capsule? Or the Portal?

Gut reaction suggested 'no' due to some sort of linked ability dependency (like in that Brudiclad thread), but I figured I'd ask here just to be sure.

(For what it's worth, the Welder did it's best capsule impression before anything too crazy happened).

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Quick question about imprint cards
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-06 8:36 pm 

Myr Welder imprinting Prototype Portal doesn't do anything you (probably) want it to do.

Prototype Portal's only activated ability is to "create a token that's a copy of the exiled card" - except Myr Welder didn't exile "the" card when it imprinted Prototype Portal. "The exiled card" on Prototype Portal only refers to the card exiled for it's own Imprint ability and not for anything Myr Welder has done.

So Imprinting Prototype Portal with Myr Welder never does anything, as the Prototype Portal never imprinted anything for the activated ability to create a copy of.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-06 10:19 pm 

I agree, Myr Welder cannot do anything with the Prototype Portal activated ability. Prototype Portal's activated ability is a linked ability, and linked abilities only link with the exact ability they are referencing and nothing else.

Quote:
607.1 An object may have two abilities printed on it such that one of them causes actions to be taken or objects or players to be affected and the other one directly refers to those actions, objects, or players. If so, these two abilities are linked: the second refers only to actions that were taken or objects or players that were affected by the first, and not by any other ability.

Prototype Portal Ability #2 cares about cards exiled by Prototype Portal Ability #1. It does not care about cards exiled by any other means.

Myr Welder has Prototype Portal Ability #2, and it has cards in exile. However when Myr Welder activates Prototype Portal Ability #2, it must pick from among cards exiled by Prototype Portal Ability #1... but Myr Welder doesn't actually have that ability. There is nothing to choose, so Myr Welder's Prototype Portal Ability #2 cannot do anything.

~~~

Myr Welder's own abilities are not linked. Its second ability just cares about "cards exiled with it". It can acquire new, different activated abilities that let it exile cards, and it will acquire any of those cards' activated abilities.

If Prototype Portal also said it created a copy of "a card exiled with it", it would not have linked abilities and you'd be able to go nuts like you're imagining.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-07 2:59 am 

That's what we figured (and how we played it).

Thanks for the clarification!

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile