Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-18 2:47 pm

Post subject: Well here's a new one.. Totem Armor and Planeswalkers
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-11 7:47 am 

Since we now have a way to add an enchantment with totem armor to a planeswalker (Thanks Estrid!), what would the interaction be?

Totem armor states: If enchanted permanent would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this aura.

However, damage causes loyalty counters to be removed (306.8. Damage dealt to a planeswalker results in that many loyalty counters being removed from it.) and when loyalty counters hit 0, the planeswalker is put into the graveyard as a state based action, not destroyed (306.9. If a planeswalker’s loyalty is 0, it’s put into its owner’s graveyard.)

So I'm thinking that no matter what if a planeswalker is attacked, it will be sent to the graveyard regardless of totem armor or not, if the damage is sufficient to remove the remaining loyalty counters.

Someone want to back me up or correct me?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Well here's a new one.. Totem Armor and Planeswalkers
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-11 8:34 am 

tgambitg wrote:
So I'm thinking that no matter what if a planeswalker is attacked, it will be sent to the graveyard regardless of totem armor or not, if the damage is sufficient to remove the remaining loyalty counters.

This is quite correct. Damage dealt to Planeswalkers is not marked on them, but removes Loyalty counters instead. When a Planeswalker with a Mask attached to it is reduced to zero Loyalty then it gets placed in its owner's Graveyard as a state-based action, and the Totem Armor of Mask does nothing to prevent this.

EDIT: Having said that, Mask would protect that Planeswalker from cards like Dreadbore, Hero's Downfall, Beast Within, and In Garruk's Wake, that "destroy" the Planeswalker. It just does nothing against damage, either direct damage or combat damage, and state-based actions.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Well here's a new one.. Totem Armor and Planeswalkers
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-11 10:21 am 

Yup. It's pretty much the same as creatures with totem armor vs. infect and wither.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile