[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Banning cards only as commander.

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 6:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Banning cards only as commander.
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-19 3:33 pm 

Maybe we could unban Karakas and at the same time unban all the Legendary creatures on the banlist. Problem solved!

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-19 8:50 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-25 2:11 pm 

What part of that announcement indicates the RC was happy with Braids in the 99? The statement made is "Braids and Rofellos were easy calls". This indicates that they are more on the side of always ban, than the side of probably fine.

More-over, do you think Braids is an example of a card that is good for the format? If you removed the word legendary from her type line, is she a card that you think should be allowed?

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-25 7:32 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-25 7:58 pm 

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-25 10:20 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-25 10:55 pm 

I can only assume you're asking rhetorical questions here, but in case you're not:

If I play a Homelands themed deck, I'm going to have a pretty miserable game

If I play Braids-based deck, everyone is going to have a pretty miserable game.

One of these things is worth removing from the format, one of them is not.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-26 3:24 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-26 6:47 am 

No, you added your bias, you didn't fix it. I meant what I said. And yes, that's from experience. You think someone is just going to throw Braids into some random black deck? A deck with Braids in it is a deck that has those sorts of effects in it, Braids merely being one of those effects. It's miserable.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-26 7:39 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-26 9:26 am 

If the RC had the power to find a genie and wish that Smokestack was never printed, odds are they probably would.

Braids is the type of card we do not need more of in the format. Smokestack and friends are bad for the format, but it would be a huge mess to try to ban all of them, and none of them have the necessary attributes that make any individual one of them worth singling out. Braids does, that attribute being a potential commander.

We all agree that Braids needs to be banned as a commander. Since that step is already taken, the question then is does Braids being legal as a member of the 99 actually improve the format? My answer is a hard no, so I see no reason not to ban it completely.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-28 8:45 am 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-28 11:46 am 

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-29 5:43 am 

A couple of things:

1. I agree with the point that the Banned as Commander list would need to be sufficiently large enough to justify its existence. There are six commanders on the banlist today. Griselbrand and Emrakul, the Aeons Torn certainly won't be taken off the normal banlist because they're too powerful and, if I'm not mistaken, were always on the normal banlist. That leaves four, and that's not big enough. Clearly, if a commander is not banned today, it's not gonna make the BaaC list (as far as I know). Gath named a few legends that he thought would be worth BaaC, but most of them were precon commanders, and I'm 100% against banning anything in a precon. "Hey, come spend $30-40 on our product. Oh by the way, we made it useless right out of the box."

2. I'm of the school of thought that banning a card merely because it fits a certain strategy is particularly childish, especially if it's a strategy that was deliberately designed and introduced into MtG. I don't care if you don't think it's fun. I don't care if it doesn't fit your special and highly specific definition of "playing Magic". If that's your only basis for saying it's a "net negative", then you're biased, period.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-29 9:31 am 

Fortunately, Braids is just one of several cards that do similar things, and is in the best color for tutors and second best color for draw, so whether Braids is in or out will have a minimal effect on people who want to play stax strategies. Personally, I think it's good to have stax in your meta, or at least to keep the strategy in mind when deck building. If you need a boatload of resources to operate, and you didn't pack a single thing to get you there through resistance, other players shouldn't have to accommodate that. I would hope by now that folks are packing removal for enchantments, artifacts, and things that aren't 8-drop fatties. My friends aren't so competitive where I plan to lose on turn 3, but they're competitive enough where serious business will be going on by turn three, and I can't sit around like a schmuck. Low cmc answers spread around a multiplayer table will put any oppressive strategy in its place. No need to ban around it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next