Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-21 3:51 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Many old cards are spiking in price
AgePosted: 2018-May-17 3:54 am 

I don't see outside investors as a good sign. There are many copies of cards disappearing and they won't be back for years.

I like when prices go up and away due to new decks coming out or a new eternal series of events being scheduled. That's healthy, even if it is unfortunate that much growth is stifled by prices.

The only good sign about people coming in and buying up 30 copies of Bazaar of Baghdad at a time is that they believe MTG collectors will be around for years to come.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-17 4:28 am 

papa_funk wrote:
Odds of a card not currently on the list joining are basically nil.

Whag about the reverse? As older (Reserve List) cards continue to climb in price, does this reopen the discussion for abandoning PBtE and solely focusing on the effect the card would have on actual games?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-17 4:54 am 

I think that's been done already tbh, otherwise Timetwister would have been added ages ago.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-17 5:23 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
I think that's been done already tbh, otherwise Timetwister would have been added ages ago.

Timetwister has always been legal, afaik. What I'm asking is that could the continued spike in prices of staples like Survival, Mox Diamond, unique generals, etc., create such a similar perceived barrier to justify just removing PBtE?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-17 8:35 am 

The only card I'm a fan of banning on pricepoint alone tbh is Gaea's Cradle- but that's sheerly on Growing Rites of Itlimoc existing as a fair(er) variant of a game-wrecking card; and even then it's just because everytime a land tutor is printed, Gaea's Cradle becomes even more nuts- but exists in it's own special sort of purgatory in terms of true power level (and Tolarian Academy does set the precedent for something like that being ban-worthy.

Anything else that could conceivably be banned on pricepoints is usually a combo or vanity piece, in a format with a ruleset that works against combo decks, and have a deep pool of interaction to manage combo strategies in excess. This is to say- that EDH does unfortunately have to be observed through Richard Garfield's lens of "the most powerful magic cards should be about $20" insomuch as options over $20 don't tend to adjust decks for sheer baseline power once you aren't staring at cards like Gaea's Cradle or Mana Crypt (which is the fastrock horse I don't want to continue beating atm.)

People buy gold bordered Cradles and Grim Monoliths to play in their EDH groups, and in my experience, it's always sortof insulting if it doesn't have a cool alter- because it's skating around the collectible hurdle for the "real" copies of those expensive cards, just to skate ahead in their playground's power-scale. With Rites, it isn't even like there's an excuse anymore either- they can just be told "Play Rites and Basalt Monolith in black border- they're powerful enough to do whatever"

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-19 8:36 pm 

I'm wondering if 'panic buying' is a factor in the spike. I changed my plan to complete a set of duals once the rate started to climb. Selling spare collection off gradually wasn't keeping pace. So I became part of the problem and spent some cash from outside my budget.

It is astonishing how fast some RL cards are rising, on the site I use Mishra's Workshop rose 40% since January! Maybe I should give up the day job and trade MTG.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-19 9:50 pm 

OldVig wrote:
I'm wondering if 'panic buying' is a factor in the spike. I changed my plan to complete a set of duals once the rate started to climb. Selling spare collection off gradually wasn't keeping pace. So I became part of the problem and spent some cash from outside my budget.

It is astonishing how fast some RL cards are rising, on the site I use Mishra's Workshop rose 40% since January! Maybe I should give up the day job and trade MTG.

If you follow MTGStocks their prices are utterly insane and luckily not tied to TCG market.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-20 2:33 am 

cryogen wrote:
If you follow MTGStocks their prices are utterly insane and luckily not tied to TCG market.

Nope. These are MCM prices. I guess we're lucky in Europe that things aren't quite so crazy as USA

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-20 6:56 am 

OldVig wrote:
cryogen wrote:

Nope. These are MCM prices. I guess we're lucky in Europe that things aren't quite so crazy as USA

Among other reasons to be glad you don't live here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 6:54 pm 

Look at this: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Visio ... sion#paper

It's not a bad card, actually, it's pretty good. But this seems excessive and it shows the ease with which even Visions cards are bought out. What is this played in?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 9:22 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
Look at this: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Visio ... sion#paper

It's not a bad card, actually, it's pretty good. But this seems excessive and it shows the ease with which even Visions cards are bought out. What is this played in?

:shock:

Ahem...so...I think I have a few of these just lying about the place...inherited them a long time ago and do nothing with them. That seems like quite a price.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 10:35 pm 

From literally 50 cents to 95 dollars.... what the hell man.

FWIW (not much since they're out of stock) SCG has them listed at $3 but that's still 600% of the price for the last forever..

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Was gonna complain about necro, but the bump is relevant.
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-21 2:33 am 

*Standard study and IMO caveats here*

Reserved list cards will never be printed again (for all intents and purposes when making predictions about market price). Old items that were not preserved en-masse have collector's value, that is why Alpha Shivan Dragon is worth $1000+ even though it's been reprinted forever. Eventually every item on the reserved list will be $100+. If you want to own janky old cards, buy a few of them before the supply/interest ratio spikes them through the sky.

*My standard rant about the "Hobby as Investment" mindset being foolish here* -It's like a car, you get residual value selling it off when you are done with it, but you should not expect to get much of your money back.

Outside investors are the reason we can buy cards on the secondary market. Most singles-selling-stores do a lot of bulk and maintain a supply of basically everything to meet demand, with a few rare/highly desireable cards earning them their magic profits. You don't have to like the tactics some of them use, but they have a crucial role in the collectible ecosystem.

On a largely irrelevant note Corrosion is weirdly templated and out of colorpie. It'd either be 1{g}{r} or 1{r}{r} now. If it was still $3 I doubt people would buy it; it's slow, clunky, and I can't think of it having a home outside of some no-artifacts prison deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-21 6:57 am 

$95?!?!?! It obviously needs to be banned now. I can't afford that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-21 8:11 am 

Something is really fishy here. Just looked it up on cardkingdom and tcgplayer, where it's going for $10 and $15 respectively.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next