Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-May-25 8:47 pm

Post subject: Dear MTGCommander.Net
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-01 1:20 am 

Evening all,

My name is Richard, I've been playing Magic since end of Judgement/Onslaught, and I picked up EDH around about the first Innistrad. Since then Commander has taken over as my absolute favorite format, but I have always had issues with some of the rules you guys have set... Well I have a theory, and with respect I'd like to ask you (what I'm sure will be a controversial question): Who makes the rules on MTGCommander.net?

Perhaps I've missed a post somewhere, or I'm being profoundly naive (if so shut me down), otherwise I'm serious.

If you think it sounded like a loaded question, you're probably right, and although I have nothing but respect for the community that put all of this together, I would like to know what qualifies you to set these rules across the world?

And yes, I understand that no-one here has ever claimed to be the bottom line in rule setting; and it is clearly written that House Rules are encouraged for the enjoyment of those in any local community. However, you must also be aware that as EDH has taken off, this website has become the go-to place for all budding Commander players, and it's used as the base-line for all community rules (that I know of - including GP's).

This brings me to my theory, about the origins of MTGCommander.net, and it goes that whoever created this website, did so with only the intention of establishing the game rules for their local community (perhaps at a point where the playgroup started to grow). Then as EDH took off as a format, players across the world would have google'd the rules and stumbled upon, almost by accident, this website. These players would have told new players, and since Wizards never got involved, these rules were accepted as the go-to for all others.

So then, if you're just a bunch of guys playing magic in your lunch break, you're no different from the rest of us!

Forgive me, I mean no disrespect. I'm sure I'm not the first person to find some of your choices to be questionable though (recently of course, the legalisation of most silver bordered cards) And while I understand you have your reasons (and it's only temporary etc.) you must also understand that changes like this one, will affect some players and groups in a negative way.

So here I am, questioning your credentials (with respect). Because I love this game and I do follow your rules (they are 99.9% correct in my opinion) but I don't like to follow blindly, so yea... who are you?

Thanks for reading,
Rich B

Ps. Why haven't you banned sol ring? It meets every fathomable criteria for being banned.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dear MTGCommander.Net
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-01 3:44 am 

Basically Sheldon & his friends made the format back in the annals of time (because he's ancient).
When he showed it to other judges on the pro tour it took off as the Judge format.
He sat down with a group of Judge friends to formalise the rules, they created the RC & this site.
There's been a couple of changes to the line-up since then but that's pretty much where here came from.

The most active members of the RC on here are Sheldon & Papa_Funk but on rare occasions you can meet Genomancer, Ban-Ki Moon & ScottLarabee.

They have stated, through Sheldon who generally acts as the RC spokesman, what they want for the format they created, the type of interaction it's meant to foster and, most importantly, what the format is not. A simple google search or using the search tool here will give you multiple articles, Q&As & posts that will help you understand their vision. The vision & the RC are both WotC approved, btw., and WotC have stated quite clearly that they have no intention of governing the format directly.

The RC sculpt the ban list as a reflection of that vision, not as a representation of what is considered fair or broken. This is not a hand-holding format like "normal" constructed formats where you're given strict rules based on power level and told what you can and cannot do. If you want a set of strict rules governing tournament play, google and people who are not these people are who you need to ask to help you out.

Commander is a a format where you express yourself through your deck with a group of like-minded players, preferrably friends, and have a great time. If there's something your group loves about the format, adopt it. If there's something you hate, avoid it. If someone's not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the boards.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-01 4:16 am 

zimagic provided a great history of the format. I want to doubly make sure this part doesn't get missed, although zimagic already basically covered it:

Reach229 wrote:
Then as EDH took off as a format, players across the world would have google'd the rules and stumbled upon, almost by accident, this website. These players would have told new players, and since Wizards never got involved, these rules were accepted as the go-to for all others.

There wasn't an accident. The person who founded EDH created this website, and maintains EDH via this website. This website is the official EDH site, has always been, and didn't merely accidentally become that way nor assume that mantle halfway along its lifetime. The people who have always run the format do so via this website. Wizards defers to this site -- such as during the commander release notes ("A recommended banned list for the Commander format is maintained by the rules committee at MTGCommander.net, not by Wizards of the Coast.") -- not by accident but out of recognition of these facts.

So this "mtgcommander.net just became this way by happy accident" theory is not correct.

I've encountered people arguing fervently over whether MtgCommander.net had any legitimacy ("it's a wizards format! that's just some fansite!") but it does, hence my emphasizing this stuff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-01 4:52 am 

@zimagic Thanks for the in depth explanation, I now feel fully armed for the next debate ^^

spacemonaut wrote:
So this "mtgcommander.net just became this way by happy accident" theory is not correct.

happy to stand corrected

Thanks,

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-01 4:53 am 

Happy gaming! Thanks for asking about this and welcome to the site. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-01 2:34 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Reach229 wrote:
@zimagic Thanks for the in depth explanation, I now feel fully armed for the next debate ^^

spacemonaut wrote:

happy to stand corrected

Thanks,

It's also the folks responsible for the tournament rules for normal Magic (MTR and IPG, not the CR). Welcome to the boards!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-01 3:09 pm 

I thought the format existed before Sheldon in Fairbanks or such, where he discovered it?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-01 4:17 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Sovarius wrote:
I thought the format existed before Sheldon in Fairbanks or such, where he discovered it?

Anchorage, actually. We've commonly credited Adam Staley of my friend David Phifer's "The Place to Be" (David's apartment where we hung out every Monday for gaming) as the originator of the rules, but there is some evidence that he may have picked them up or the idea from an old copy of The Duelist.

There were only five people playing the format in 2003 when I left Alaska for Virginia. I took it with me to the Pro Tour, and now here we are.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-04 12:51 pm 

Super sweet, i loved those old magazines as a kid.

Also, great to learn! I just remember the thread on Reddit from one of those guys (not sure if David or Adam or another, it was quite a while ago)

Offline Profile