Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-17 1:37 am

Post subject: Re: Making UN-cards legal and why it is the worst decision ever.
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-07 7:15 am 

Here's a post from Mark Rosewater concerning Un-drafts over the next little while:

Quote:
Un-Etiquette

Before the set releases tomorrow, I just wanted to say a quick word about something very important to Unstable - play behavior. Magic can be a very competitive game and that’s great. We have a giant organized play system set up to let people test their skills against one another. Unstable though is pushing towards the other end of the spectrum, Magic as a fun social activity.

Part of having the best Un-experience, is entering it with the idea that it’s more about the experience than the outcome. Yes, you can try to win, but please do so with the spirit of silver border in mind. When you come to a fork between doing something awesome or doing something boring but more likely to win, consider taking the awesome path.

You win at Unstable if you walk away having had a great time, so please, just enter into this experience with the mindset that it’s okay to not always play optimally if doing so creates a fun story and would lead to having an overall better experience.

Trust me, Magic will return to its normal (for some) competitive mindset soon enough.

In my opinion this is an excellent post for pointing out two other (related) thoughts:
  1. This is the spirit in which you should play the Un-cards until Jan 15 in Commander; and
  2. This is the spirit in which you should play Commander anyway (aside from the last sentence)

IMO, people should keep that in mind.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-07 7:25 am 

Don't be silly. Commander was made to crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-07 11:31 am 

zimagic wrote:
Is "Emeritus" above L5 or is it just level 5 with sparkly bits?

Google is your friend, but since it's christmas time I am in a giving mood:
[url]https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/event-coverage/2008-worlds-feature-welcome-level-e-2008-12-14
[/url]
zimagic wrote:
And to hear the lamentations of their women.

Which is why this has been such an enjoyable thread.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-07 5:04 pm 

zimagic wrote:

but..i'm single :cry:

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-07 5:37 pm 

trappedslider wrote:
zimagic wrote:

but..i'm single :cry:

Then perhaps we'll be hearing the lamentations of your pets?

Carthain wrote:
The idea that you should be able to build your deck however you want and still be competitive is false, and a bad idea to have. Taken to the extreme, that's like making a deck with no removal in it, and then complaining that you can't win because stuff your opponents play gets in your way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-08 12:23 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

MMLgamer wrote:
papa_funk wrote:
It's a solution to a nonexistent problem.

Sigh. If there is just ONE problem with the RC, it is the sheer and blatant laziness and immobilizing regard they have for the comprehensive rules. I don't care how rare a scenario is. One would think that with a big change like this, they would have thought this through.

This might win funniest post ever.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-09 5:41 am 

Wish cards still don't work though? :?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 3:32 pm 

Cody wrote:
Wish cards still don't work though? :?

Correct. And neither do un-cards that behave as such, like Spike, Tournament Grinder.

And may I just take a moment to lament internet culture? "The worst decision ever"? Really? Just once I'd like to see someone start a thread with "I don't really like this and I wish the RC hadn't done it" without taking it to the level of insults and senseless rage posting.

Personally I will be avoiding silver-bordered stuff as much as possible until it blessedly re-bans. But I can do that without having a ragegasm.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 12:07 am 

Maybe it literally was the worst decision ever. It was certainly worse than the decision to make the Star Wars prequels (albeit not much worse).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 9:12 am 

cryogen wrote:
Maybe it literally was the worst decision ever. It was certainly worse than the decision to make the Star Wars prequels (albeit not much worse).

Do we know the decision to make the Star Wars prequels was bad because the results were bad? Were the bad results a result of the decision to make the prequels, or the result of decisions that resulted during the making of the films themselves? Are we falling into the trap of results-based reasoning?

(removes tongue from cheek)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 10:17 am 

If you ever thinks something is a bad idea just remember someone once said in a meeting "Let's make a film with a tornado full of sharks."

That's not how magic works. You can't equate cards and situations linearly like that!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 10:20 am 

trappedslider wrote:
If you ever thinks something is a bad idea just remember someone once said in a meeting "Let's make a film with a tornado full of sharks."

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!! The first one was good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 5:53 pm 

tarnar wrote:
cryogen wrote:

Do we know the decision to make the Star Wars prequels was bad because the results were bad? Were the bad results a result of the decision to make the prequels, or the result of decisions that resulted during the making of the films themselves? Are we falling into the trap of results-based reasoning?

(removes tongue from cheek)

Making the sequels was a fine idea. Allowing Lucas to direct was the problem.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-13 7:17 am 

On a more serious note, it was a very good thing that Lucas made those terrible prequels, because otherwise I'd never have found out about RedLetterMedia.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-13 10:39 am 

tarnar wrote:
On a more serious note, it was a very good thing that Lucas made those terrible prequels, because otherwise I'd never have found out about RedLetterMedia.

That's so true! I'm so glad I saw their reviews. :D

Online Profile