Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-17 1:39 am

Post subject: New planeswalker rule possibly affecting commander rules?
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 10:18 am 

According to http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ixalan-mechanics planeswalkers will now be covered under the legend rules and the planeswalker uniqueness rules are going away. So planeswalkers turning into commanders in the next set? I figured the commander rules won't change any time soon to cover planeswalkers due to very busy and hard working RC staff.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New planeswalker rule possibly affecting commander rules?
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 11:26 am 

Sheldon answered in another thread to say:
Sheldon wrote:
No, PWs will not be allowable as commanders unless a card specifically says that it can--so no change.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-28 11:47 am 

As I mentioned in another thread, Planeswalkers will not become legal generals for the same reason Mindslaver, Day of Destiny, and Academy Ruins are not currently legal generals.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-29 5:27 am 

Funnily enough I asserted awhile ago that superfriends weren't really that much of a problem. Well thanks wotc for completely turning that statement on it's head. post-Ixalan EDH is going to be a planeswalker filled nightmare...

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-29 6:27 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:
Funnily enough I asserted awhile ago that superfriends weren't really that much of a problem. Well thanks wotc for completely turning that statement on it's head. post-Ixalan EDH is going to be a planeswalker filled nightmare...

Oh the horror that will roil beneath my flesh when an opponent taps JTMS to untap Honor-Worn Shaku...

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-29 7:46 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
Oh the horror that will roil beneath my flesh when an opponent taps JTMS to untap Honor-Worn Shaku...

Neat tech... I'm totally going to try that card in my Atraxa deck now. And Captain Sisay now gets to to be silly good in the 99 instead of just as a commander. Yay, just what everyone was clamoring for. ;)

My general commander philosophy: Stealing your opponent's degenerate cards is far more satisfying then playing your own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-29 8:03 am 

kaldare wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:

Neat tech... I'm totally going to try that card in my Atraxa deck now. And Captain Sisay now gets to to be silly good in the 99 instead of just as a commander. Yay, just what everyone was clamoring for. ;)

I asked my friend who has an absolutely miserable-to-play-against Sisay deck if he would include any Planeswalkers now that he can fetch them with his commander. His response? "Still not good enough." I could see her impact in the 99 for Atraxa though, despite the difference between having her on demand in the command zone vs. having to tutor or natural draw her. But you also get access to black and blue, which boosts your SuperFriends options. I think Captain Jace Sparrow and Doubling Season is way more scary than Sisay in Atraxa's 99, though.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-29 9:19 am 

Uh.... clearly I'm missing something. Why does being able to tap a planeswalker for one <> mana now make a grand difference?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-29 11:33 am 

Viperion wrote:
Uh.... clearly I'm missing something. Why does being able to tap a planeswalker for one <> mana now make a grand difference?

it doesn't, I think that was the point. My point on the other hand was that having every jace/liliana/whatever in existence in play simultaneously is going to make planeswalkers absolutely miserable. Before they were pretty good but not overbearing unless you are ulting Narset or Erayo Jace or any of the other douchewalkers. Now though... eww.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-29 9:42 pm 

Gath Immortal wrote:
Viperion wrote:

it doesn't, I think that was the point. My point on the other hand was that having every jace/liliana/whatever in existence in play simultaneously is going to make planeswalkers absolutely miserable. Before they were pretty good but not overbearing unless you are ulting Narset or Erayo Jace or any of the other douchewalkers. Now though... eww.

Umm what? I don't know what meta you could possibly live in where the dividing line between PW's being playable and broken is whether or not you can have both JTMS and Jace Beleren in play. L

Out of all the decks I own the only one that even noticed the difference is my Omnath deck which has Garruk Wildspeaker and Primal Hunter. And considering the latter usually dies the second he enters, it's really rare for me to care either way.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Excitement and panic!? Nah it's probably fine.
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-30 12:08 am 

Historically the things I hated about my playgroup's planeswalker deck(s) was the Doubling Season into Samut, the Tested into Tamiyo, Field Researcher, Dovin Baan etc that doesn't care about planeswalker volume. I think this change makes the worse planeswalker more playable as they don't become dead cards in a PW or value deck when their better name-sharers are in play.

My bigger question is when do these changes become official/official in commander? I know my playgroup will be on the legendary planeswalker train asap (we picked up the vancouver mulligan the week it was described by wizards). If I roll up to FNM with my new mediocre-friends deck pre-Ixalan am I in for a world of disappointment?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Excitement and panic!? Nah it's probably fine.
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-30 12:44 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:

I have a 5c super friends deck, and I think the Planeswalker Uniqueness rule has been relevant in <15% of games and critical in less than that. When it comes to card selection, I think there was one time I cut a Jace because I had too many total Jaces, but really there is a ton of redundancy in what PW do. There isn't a lot of difference between any of the 5-mana Jaces and Sarkhan Unbroken, Ob Nixilis Reignited, etc, for example, so you aren't really going to generate much in the way of game states that are truly novel.

Evilkritter wrote:
My bigger question is when do these changes become official/official in commander? I know my playgroup will be on the legendary planeswalker train asap (we picked up the vancouver mulligan the week it was described by wizards). If I roll up to FNM with my new mediocre-friends deck pre-Ixalan am I in for a world of disappointment?

The best assumption is that they'll become official as soon as they become official in the rest of MTG. That is how it went down with the legend rule change, and this seems like even less of a reason to rock the boat than that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-30 1:21 am 
EDH Rules Committee

We've always operated under the idea that cards are legal and rules changes are in effect on the day the cards become available--so once you hit a pre-release next month, jam your deck full of dinosaurs and legend rule those Jaces.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-30 3:02 am 

JJackson wrote:
I have a 5c super friends deck, and I think the Planeswalker Uniqueness rule has been relevant in <15% of games and critical in less than that.

Seconded. When I built my 5c walker deck I technically limited myself to two walkers of the same name to avoid the uniqueness rule. And then, as I was building it, I found it was hard to see myself even wanting three of a given walker, given the number of powerful walkers, the overlap in abilities, etc.

I might add one or two walkers to the deck as of the rule change. Maybe. When playing it, the uniqueness rule is rarely relevant. I don't see the change meaning much to how my deck plays out.

I guess it means decks with fewer colours can go harder on planeswalkers. That might not be a bad thing in the end.

If someone wants to "improve" their GW deck now that they can jam 6 Ajanis, 3 Elspeths, 3 Garruks, 6 Gideons and 7 Nissas with no fear of the Uniqueness rule stranding cards in hand, well, so be it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-30 4:18 am 

I can't wait until I land Yomiji, Who Bars the Way and start popping some PW :)

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile