Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-May-25 8:44 pm

Post subject: Mairsil... Maybe time to re-review bannable combo cards?
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 9:08 am 

So who else is excited for Mairsil, the Pretender and the combos? Finally a combo commander that is based off of having threats in exile. Where only Riftsweeper and Pull from Eternity can deal with them.

Quote:
Mairsil, the Pretender
1UBR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
When Mairsil, the Pretender enters the battlefield, you may exile an artifact or creature card from your hand or graveyard and put a cage counter on it.

Mairsil, the Pretender has all activated abilities of all cards you own in exile with cage counters on them. You may activate each of those abilities only once each turn.

I'm looking forward for:

Mairsil, the Pretender exiling Candelabra of Tawnos + deadeye navigator

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mairsil... Maybe time to re-review bannable combo cards?
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 9:17 am 

Mairsil doesn't have a source of haste there, so that's not actually a combo without a fourth (!) card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 9:34 am 

Am I the only one who reads "bannable" as banana-able?

I am concerned with this notion though- what would we ban? Seems like the correct move would be to ban the commander not the combo cards should this guy prove nutty.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 11:59 am 

That combo would be way more interesting with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Doesn't go infinite on its own, but you DO get to abuse the loyalty abilities over and over.

Worth noting - because the ability on Mairsil is an ETB, you have to play another creature AFTER you cage the deadeye in order to soulbond and use its soulbond ability.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 12:09 pm 

Caging the Deadeye does not give Mairsil Soulbound, it only gives him the 1U activated ability (which does nothing if he's not soulbound to something)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 12:20 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
That combo would be way more interesting with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Doesn't go infinite on its own, but you DO get to abuse the loyalty abilities over and over.

Fortunately, Nic-the-walker is neither a creature nor an artifact. So, that won't be happening without a lot of hoops and some strange interactions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 12:32 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Caging the Deadeye does not give Mairsil Soulbound, it only gives him the 1U activated ability (which does nothing if he's not soulbound to something)

Caging Deadeye does absolutely nothing. You need Deadeye to stay alive, and bond to Mairsil naturally.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 6:05 pm 

Bull wrote:

Even if this worked exactly the way you wanted it to (which as has been noted above, it doesnt) why is this a problem? 4 cards to make infinite mana isn't exactly new. Having infinite mana more than once is usually not particularly important.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 8:32 pm 

As for combating Mairsil, Eldrazi Procesors work wonders. For bonus points, several strategies already have reasons to run them (Wrexial, Scarab God...)
Can't wait to rebuild Cthulhu when someone in my meta inevitably plays Mairsil :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-10 11:46 pm 

niheloim wrote:
Am I the only one who reads "bannable" as banana-able?

No, you are not alone. Am I the only one who keeps reading "Narsil" and wonders why he's not an equipment?

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 2:00 am 

If we are worried about a potentially bananable card because of an interaction with a crazy old $600 card, I don't think we have much to worry about. I also think that when we have generals that are two and three card combos running around, a new general that requires multiple hoops to jump through doesn't need to be banned while it's still in the brainstorming and hasn't been released yet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 3:51 am 

cryogen wrote:
If we are worried about a potentially bananable card because of an interaction with a crazy old $600 card, I don't think we have much to worry about. I also think that when we have generals that are two and three card combos running around, a new general that requires multiple hoops to jump through doesn't need to be banned while it's still in the brainstorming and hasn't been released yet.

The problem is that he works of exile leaving only 2 limit answers. You can't remove the combo pieces as easily as other commanders.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 4:15 am 

Bull wrote:
The problem is that he works of exile leaving only 2 limit answers. You can't remove the combo pieces as easily as other commanders.

That's only a problem if you just let them do their thing without any disruption. There's still plenty of disruption to stop him. Also - there's more than 2 answers if you bothered to read the thread, you'd see people mentioning more than Pull from Eternity and Riftsweeper.

So - what's the problem, or more importantly - why is he more powerful/problematic than existing commanders that have combo potential?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 6:16 am 

Bull wrote:
cryogen wrote:

Sure, but you're telegraphing your intent across multiple turns. At the bare minimum, you need to have way to cast/blink your general enough times to exile all your combo pieces, plus do all their activations. Then on top of that, you need to get those cards in your hand in the first place.

I'm not saying people aren't going to build it as a combo deck, but I think when you consider just how many moving pieces are required to go off, there are more efficient ways to build a combo deck that don't involve godhands or asleep opponents.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 11:25 am 

This was a truly terrible post, OP.

Offline Profile