Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-17 1:39 am

Post subject: Re: Banlist Suggestions for over powered combo cards
AgePosted: 2017-Jul-20 10:11 am 

Genius. That's why I like combo in the format, it's a battle of cunning between the combo player trying to win, the other players trying to find ways to break it, and then the combo player trying to get around the ways the combo gets broken.

In that case the mike+trike players needs to find another sac outlet, which enables the other players to use removal on the sac outlet. It's a lot more interactive than many people seem to think once you get to know how the combos work.

Players that drop two cards and say "I win" are just being rude. If I drop a combo (mine always need at least 3 parts) I explain the loop, and the points of interaction so if anyone at the table has a way to interact they know when and where to do so.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-21 1:08 pm 

Reminds me of a kid who plays Superfriends at your LGS. I've had multiple games where he's dumped his whole deck on to the field, can't figure out how to win this turn (usually because he killed off someone important to the combo), and passes turn to the table and someone finds a way to one-shot him.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-23 1:37 pm 

Just kill the Mikaeus with one of a million different cards while Triskelion's Undying trigger is on the stack. Problem solved.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-24 8:00 am 

majikal wrote:
Just kill the Mikaeus with one of a million different cards while Triskelion's Undying trigger is on the stack. Problem solved.

you're missing the part where the table blew all their answers stopping the three other players from winning the game. Happens all the time, high level edh is basically just playing until someone has a combo and no one has answers left. The thing is, the higher up in power level you go the closer to the start of the game that gets, and after awhile it gets kinda samey.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-25 2:49 pm 

Gath Immortal wrote:
majikal wrote:

you're missing the part where the table blew all their answers stopping the three other players from winning the game. Happens all the time, high level edh is basically just playing until someone has a combo and no one has answers left. The thing is, the higher up in power level you go the closer to the start of the game that gets, and after awhile it gets kinda samey.
Just... no. Higher level EDH is mostly combo decks trying to go off T1-T3 and if they fail it's mostly midrange control and Sfax decks.

Considering how much CA there is in high level EDH, as well as how many answers can stop multiple combos easily (Humility, Rest in Peace, Spell Burst), the entire table shouldn't be blowing their answers that quick.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-27 9:58 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:

Even if true, high level EDH is not the point of the ban list here, and the higher up you go, the further you get from the kind of games covered by this ban list.

So it seems you're missing the part where that table of 4 players sat down with 4 high level competitively tuned decks with the intent of having a game full of combos vs answers until one player eeks out a win by having one more threat than the table had answer.

Regardless of what turn it is, if the game follows the pattern of threat-answer-threat-answer-threat... win then that's a good interactive game. I prefer to have some set up, take my time, get in a little foreplay before everything comes to crescendo, but ultimately whether it is turn 4 or turn 14, the player that can maintain an unanswered threat wins, then it's just cigars and small talk until you're ready for round 2.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-20 4:19 am 

I am more annoyed with Doubling Seasons interaction with Planeswalkers. With emblems Being indestructible and non-targetable the only way to remove them is with Karn ultimate. If WotC changed loyalty to a different form of marker other than counters it would negate doubling seasons effect towards planeswalkers. If you cant deal with Doubling season that turn you tend to get over ran with emblems like Tamiyo, the Moon Sage or Jace, Unraveler of Secrets. Thanx for your thoughts, Newbasuar

Offline Profile