Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 10:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Why haven't we allowed Planeswalkers as Commanders yet?
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-26 11:28 am 

I'm indifferent about Planeswalkers being played as commanders. It's still flavorful for them to fill the role of a legendary leader. I don't think any of the currently printed walkers would be oppressive as commanders. I just don't know if the effort to change the rules would be worth it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 10:41 am 

Overall, I think making a ruling that Planeswalkers can be commanders would only inhibit the rules committee in the sense that they'd almost be forced to bring back the "Banned as Commander" rule, which while I understood the reasoning for removing that rule, I still believe that it's a good idea to bring it back. There just simply are cards busted as commanders (Rofellos, Braids, and Erayo) but are incredibly tame in the 99. However this is an argument for another day.

The argument that Doubling Season would need to be removed also really doesn't seem much of an issue. You'd be locked into using at least green, you'd still need to get the card out of your deck and still cast your general/other planeswalkers. Much of which is already done in decks like Atraxa superfriends, which while annoying is easily dealt with.

When it comes to why not use legendary enchantment/artifacts/lands ect, I think it's consistency. We already have planeswalkers than CAN be generals, and while they may have been designed around that ideal, I think a decent argument can be made that the majority of planeswalkers are not gamebreaking as commanders. Two of which were in non commander products, which I think is a testament to how Wizards views this. I think it's more confusing to new players to explain "all legendary creatures and SOME planeswalkers can be commanders" rather than just blanketing outright saying "all legendary creatures and planeswalkers can be commanders". It also makes sense in a lore aspect because Planeswalkers do actually lead armies, which is the role that Legendary creatures in our formats lore fill.

I recently pulled Sarkhan, Fireblood and wanted to make a mono red dragon deck. I'm gonna be using Zirilan of the Claw as the card to use when people don't want to play against him in the zone. My LGS already houseruled planeswalkers (with about 10 banned ones) and we've had moderate success.

Last edited by KromeDrone on 2018-Jul-15 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-15 10:46 am 

KromeDrone wrote:
The argument that Doubling Season would need to be removed also really doesn't seem much of an issue. You'd be locked into using at least green, you'd still need to get the card out of your deck and still cast your general/other planeswalkers. Much of which is already done in decks like Atraxa superfriends, which while annoying is easily dealt with.

If it means anything, papa_funk said they'd probably have to ban Doubling Season. So it seems like quite an issue to a member of the RC.

I'm glad your FLGS has had success with these though! This is good and I like your backup plan for Sarkhan.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22