Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-15 9:11 am

Post subject: Re: Felidar Sovereign: Analyze it.
AgePosted: 2017-May-09 6:22 am 

Gath Immortal wrote:
I've never really been a fan of any card in this format that just says "you win the game". This is EDH, it's supposed to be the home of epic plays, and casting a card and winning the game because the card tells you to, its pretty meh. I mean I can extend that logic to things like craterhoof, insurrection or X spells that hit everyone for instant death, they just dont feel particularly epic when it equates to "if board state equals X, win game". I feel like you should have to work harder for it than that.

Even if hard work has been done to achieve and maintain said board state? None of the above work alone; even Felidar requires a net lifegain >\= 0 to work. In the deck I have that plays Wincat, I never go for the early win, I go for the sure (and more impressive) win at 100+ life.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-09 10:21 am 

I'm actually a big fan of Celestial Convergence.

Last edited by niheloim on 2017-May-11 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-11 4:39 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Gath Immortal wrote:
I've never really been a fan of any card in this format that just says "you win the game". This is EDH, it's supposed to be the home of epic plays, and casting a card and winning the game because the card tells you to, its pretty meh. I mean I can extend that logic to things like craterhoof, insurrection or X spells that hit everyone for instant death, they just dont feel particularly epic when it equates to "if board state equals X, win game". I feel like you should have to work harder for it than that.

Even if hard work has been done to achieve and maintain said board state? None of the above work alone; even Felidar requires a net lifegain >\= 0 to work. In the deck I have that plays Wincat, I never go for the early win, I go for the sure (and more impressive) win at 100+ life.

I'm too used to people flashing it in eot. And if Felidar required 100 life, I'd probably despise it very slightly less. After seeing mono green selvala pop Helix Pinnacle on turn 5 or 6, I don't care what you do to get there, it's still boring. I mean you may as well just remove yourself from the game because any card that says "you win the game" on it tends to not involve other players boards at all other than saying "answer or die" which is more or less what every 2 card combo deck does anyway, and those decks are miserable.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-11 5:21 am 

EoT Wincat is terrible... But a close game trying to fight a rising life total can be fun.

I don't know if I would enjoy a dedicated meta around Felidar Sovereign would be fun for long, but I think a chance to make someone sad using Soul Conduit or Repay in Kind is appealing.

I'm always looking to play some of my lesser-used cards.

I was thrilled the other day playing Karlov when I was able to drop Invincible Hymn right after my buddy used Zedruu to nail me with Illusions of Grandeur. I hadn't cast Hymn in... like... ten years.

Offline Profile