Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Nov-18 8:47 pm

Post subject: Re: Many old cards are spiking in price
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 11:26 am 

Carthain wrote:
Fair. But you did feel it was worth a decent sized paragraph to complain about. If you were fine with it just being a potential mistake and nothing behind it, I don't think you would have bothered writing the part of the paragraph that I did quote.

What I was trying to point out was that they at the very least seemed to put a little more thought into ethnicity than spacemonaut said, or at least that's what I was assuming based on the mix up. I could totally be wrong about that you're absolutely right, but I'm paranoid and tend to assume the worst.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-01 4:12 pm 

Gath Immortal wrote:
While I agree that masters sets shouldn't be 90% draft chaff and bulk rare garbage wotc is in no way "printing free money" at 10 bucks a pack. That entire series is designed to exploit the gambler's high to get people to shell out assloads of cash, it's essentially the lottery in card form.

Printing free money for them, not the pack buyer. The masters sets are not all bombs but they are still putting cards out there, is all my point was.

Quote:
Also, is wotc really "doing their best" when their staff care more about social justice issues than their own card game?

I'm not into all of everything that can be considered the 'social justice movement', but like others said, adding black and gay characters isn't making their art better or worse nor is it the same folks who develop the mechanics.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-03 10:24 am 

Anyways, back to the price issue.
I sold a Thunder Spirit for $150 U.S., a Mold Demon for $20 U.S.. This is all crazy stuff, but people are buying cards out and trying to make a profit. Dual lands that were bought for $70 (Taiga) have quadrupled in price.

At some point Wizards is going to have to have "The talk", wherein they cut off paper magic from eternal card pools completely (Vintage and Legacy online) or they alter the Reserved List to remove land cards, or whatever. Or they abolish Vintage and Legacy as sanctioned formats completely, making those cool old cards pretty talking points but not much else.

Thankfully, this doesn't really affect Commander. I play Duel Commander on Mondays and you don't even need duals for a good deck. Good mono-green (Selvala), mono-white (various Kytheons) and multi decks exist and play fine with shocks, Scry lands, etc. The RC should not ban anything else on price. I mean, I have friends that got Timetwisters (one of them got a Beta, heh...) but they aren't necessary at all. The RC should just ban stuff that ruins games, that's about it.

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Modern and friends
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-03 12:51 pm 

CrazyPierre wrote:
Anyways, back to the price issue.
At some point Wizards is going to have to have "The talk", wherein they cut off paper magic from eternal card pools completely (Vintage and Legacy online) or they alter the Reserved List to remove land cards, or whatever. Or they abolish Vintage and Legacy as sanctioned formats completely, making those cool old cards pretty talking points but not much else.

They practically did. That was the reason Modern was created. Vintage and Legacy exist for long-time fans who already own the cards, and for sometimes get played for publicity/novelty. Same way they bring out Beta packs for the occasional draft. Most people who play Vintage-legality formats (Mostly highlander of some variety) use proxies or absurdly expensive gold bordered cards.

The only Vintage communities that exist are online where the Reserved List does not exist, and in communities that predate the Type-2 format.

CrazyPierre wrote:
I mean, I have friends that got Timetwisters (one of them got a Beta, heh...) but they aren't necessary at all. The RC should just ban stuff that ruins games, that's about it.

I agree. Banning cards almost nobody owns seems ridiculous to me. The only effect that would have we be to spite/penalize the few people who happen to own them.

Every Reserved List card that is a power problem is already banned.

The RC has stated very clearly that they want people to be able to play with their old nostalgic cards, and that they will not ban things based on scarcity.

edit: I am bad a phrasing things.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Modern and friends
AgePosted: 2018-Jul-04 3:52 am 

Evilkritter wrote:
CrazyPierre wrote:

That's debatable. Recall and Library wouldn't be any more obnoxious than many legal cards if their price and availability were not issues. Nor do the five Mox present problems (taken individually).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-04 5:12 am 

cryogen wrote:
Evilkritter wrote:
CrazyPierre wrote:

That's debatable. Recall and Library wouldn't be any more obnoxious than many legal cards if their price and availability were not issues. Nor do the five Mox present problems (taken individually).

Re-read what Evilkritter said, because this is what you appear to be responding to:

Quote:
Every Reserved list card that is banned is a power problem.

EDIT: That being said, I would also agree with the latter statement as well. Recall, Library, and the Moxes probably wouldn't be unhealthy for the format in the way something like Primeval Titan or Biorhythm would be, but more in the more traditional sense of "broken", i.e. "way too much value for its cost, to the point where a deck with it is just flat out better than a deck without it".

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-04 5:29 am 

I took that to mean the RL cards were banned for power reasons. Reading that sentence again, I can interpret it a few different ways.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jul-05 1:09 am 

Power nine reasons...

Offline Profile