Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Aug-22 12:56 am

Post subject: Portal Mage
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 2:59 am 

So question about the new Portal Mage and Ghostly Prison effects.

If I'm understanding the rules and cards correctly, a person can redirect an attack to someone with ghostly prison (and company), and no additional mana cost will be required to be paid. Essentially the cost is to declare the attacker, and the redirect occurs after this point.

If I'm wrong could someone please explain it to me?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Portal Mage
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 3:08 am 

You're correct. Ghostly Prison incurs a cost to attacker declaration, but that step is already past so the cost is irrelevant. The Commander 2017 release notes contain this ruling on Portal Mage:

Quote:
Reselecting which player or planeswalker a creature is attacking ignores all requirements, restrictions, and costs associated with attacking.

The really surprising thing to me is that would seem to suggest I can make a creature attack someone with Blazing Archon, since that card establishes a "restriction [...] associated with attacking".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 11:27 am 

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to divert an attack through someone's Blazing Archon. 'Attack' is declaring an attacker, not just that + "but if a creature *is* attacking, then it's not anymore".

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 12:06 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to divert an attack through someone's Blazing Archon. 'Attack' is declaring an attacker, not just that + "but if a creature *is* attacking, then it's not anymore".

I don't mean to suggest it isn't or shouldn't be correct -- I can accept it. Just that a player who "can't be attacked" winding up attacked in spite of that ability is surprising to me. I really expect to get funny looks if I ever have to explain it -- even including after they see the relevant ruling. :lol:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 12:25 pm 

No different than using an effect to cause an unblockable creature to become blocked. There's a number of those around - just usually not very powerful so you don't see them much really.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 11:11 pm 

While not powerful, I do expect it to see a reasonable amount of multiplayer play, especially in metas where people are swinging lethal fast and early.

Turn 4 and you're swinging an 11/11 double strike commander at ME?!? Let's redirect you to the Mono-white player with that 1 plains untapped...

I just really like the card due to the shift of politics. Maze of Ith solves a problem. Portal Mage solves the 'not my problem yet' mindset that other players have when something big is attacking just 1 person.

Offline Profile