Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Jul-20 12:37 am

Post subject: New 21 commander Damage rulings?
AgePosted: 2017-Apr-17 8:12 am 

This changed: "Commander Damage is specific to each Commander/Player pairing, not combined across all Commanders."

So can I still steal commanders and deal 21 damage with them?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New 21 commander Damage rulings?
AgePosted: 2017-Apr-17 8:53 am 

Commander-ness is tied to the creature designated as a commander for a given deck. It's not possible to take that inherrent status away.

That being said, that commander status is NOT tied to the player who's running the deck with that commander at the helm.

It IS possible to take control of a player's voltron commander and to kill them with their own commander... provided you can deal them 21 points of combat damage with it. (or if you, you know, deal them normal lethal damage. But that's the less fun/cool way to do it)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-17 1:56 pm 

I don't remember this changing anytime recently... it's been that for at the very least a couple years. But anyway, I'll explain using a sample game between Zur, Kaalia, and Lazav.

Zur hits Kaalia's player. Kaalia now has 1 commander damage from Zur. Next turn, Lazav then hit her. She now has 1 commander damage from Zur and 3 from Lazav. Couple turns later, Lazav clones Zur's general and hits Kaalia with it. She takes zero commander damage from the fake Zur. Couple turns after that, Lazav steals Kaalia, pumps her a bunch with Hatred so she's swinging for 18 damage. Kaalia now has 1 damage from Zur, 3 from Lazav, and 18 from her own commander. Next turn Lazav equips Batterskull to Kaalia and hits Zur with her. Zur now has 6 commander damage from Kaalia. At no point in the above scenario does anybody lose or win via commander damage.

Treamayne wrote:
Deck DR Kong

1st Place in the Gabriel Angelfire Iron Chef EDH Competition

3rd Place in the Zedruu Iron Chef EDH Competition

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-17 7:22 pm 

It had to change a little to clarify how partner commanders work:
Each partner counts his/her damage seperately for each player he/she dealt combat damage to.

Being dealt 11 from one partner and 10 from the other does not mean the player loses. And dealing 10 to one opponent and 11 to another does not mean you win, either.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-19 2:24 pm 

What happens if you have Platinum Angel, then take 21 combat damage from an opponent's commander, then that opponent leaves the game, and then Platinum Angel dies (in that order)?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-19 3:08 pm 

I would argue that the player loses the game. The rules state that:
a) Commanderness is a characteristic of the object designated at the start of the game,
b) a player who has been dealt 21 damage by the same commander over the course of the game loses the game as a state based action.

So I would argue that since the player has taken 21 damage from a single object which was a commander, so that player loses the game. I would equate commander damage to poison, and that tracking the damage taken is independent of the source.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-20 7:44 am 

specter404 wrote:
I would argue that the player loses the game. The rules state that:
a) Commanderness is a characteristic of the object designated at the start of the game,
b) a player who has been dealt 21 damage by the same commander over the course of the game loses the game as a state based action.

So I would argue that since the player has taken 21 damage from a single object which was a commander, so that player loses the game. I would equate commander damage to poison, and that tracking the damage taken is independent of the source.

This.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile