Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-10 12:56 pm

Post subject: Armed to the beak — Kykar, Wind's Fury: Equipment edition
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-14 11:02 am 

Wings up wrote:

This guy is so versatile he's gotten everybody's creative juices flowing, but I notice most of the discussion is spellslinger/combo oriented. Me, I was still taking a vacation from MTG when the M20 spoiler season was going on, so I missed all that. When I came back, I was going through my cards and stumbled upon my pile of Equipment, so I took to Gatherer, asking "Have there been any good Equipment commanders released while I was gone?" This one fit the bill. I was already looking primarily for Jeskai colors—RW is standard issue for an Equipment deck, plus I wanted that artificer's touch blue's got in the mix as well. The result is...interesting.

At first, I was tempted to use the word "Voltron" in the title, but this deck can do so much more. First off, casting Equipment with Kykar out makes evasive tokens. Think about that for a second. From there, I can either equip multiple creatures, or sac the tokens to ease the equip costs for Kykar himself. This is already an interesting base for a deck, but then I kept finding random little cards, hidden gems that make this deck more and more into a personalized Johnny paradise for me =)

Quote:
The meat of the deck. Needs more swords, but those're expensive :( Don't have Jitte, either, and no Kaldra set. In fact, the Equipment list is the weakest link ATM, because I can't go too low on Equipment numbers, so I have to keep some of the suboptimal ones in. Embercleave is ridiculously awesome, though—people in my group are slowly learning to fear the innocently-looking Inventors' Fair lying on the table during combat :twisted:

Quote:
These deserve special mention, I feel.
—Spirit Bonds won't be making many tokens here, but it sure as hell can make Kykar survive a Wrath.
—Clash of Realities is a new addition, one that made me giggle in glee when I found out about it. Theory is, most creatures most people play are not Spirits, therefore each non-creature spell I cast equals a Lightning Bolt to an enemy creature. But the tokens are my only Spirits, so my other creatures, mainly Kykar himself, should be relatively safe. Also, the card looks sick in foil 8)
—Ugin is just mean. Cheaper Equipment? Check. Destroys permanents? Check. Makes creatures to wear Equipment who juuust so happen to be Spirits, so Kykar can sac them for mana and get the card whenever I please? Oh HELL yeah :twisted:
—Finally, Martyr's Bond is a must. White Grave Pact is already good, but with a general who makes and slays his own creatures? Priceless.

Quote:
And the rest. As always, here's a small wishlist:

Kher Keep
Hammer of Nazahn
Goblin Engineer
Balan, Wandering Knight
Elsha of the Infinite
All is Dust
Kirtar's Wrath
Descend upon the Sinful
Martial Coup
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Haunted Plate Mail
Gideon Blackblade
Karn, the Great Creator
Idol of Oblivion
Fervent Champion

That's in addition to things mentioned above. Once again, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Antis, out.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2019-Nov-28 3:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Armed to the beak — Kykar, Wind's Fury: Equipment edition
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-15 2:09 pm 

How has Colossus Hammer worked out for you? The +10/+10 is definitely super sweet, but since it takes out your natural flying on your commander (and tokens) it seems like you'd want a different equipment. Maybe Blackblade Reforged instead? You'd still have potential for a lot of raw power at a cheaper equip cost--since you won't always have access to a equip cost reducer. I know the equip cost isn't as much of a concern, but still. Bonus, Blackblade Reforged is going for pretty cheap in terms of money.

Oh, and while I'm on that subject, the Gideon's Spellbook version of Martyr's Bond still seems to be going for really cheap for seemingly no reason. If you need another copy of that, might look if it's also cheap where you're at.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-15 8:05 pm 

Colossus Hammer, my friend, is insanely broken in the right deck. This is the right deck :twisted:

Just yesterday, I had three mana left to spend before attack. "Ok, Open the Armory, Colossus Hammer, free equip via Puresteel Paladin and swing you for lethal right through Meren's huge army, because Sword of Feast and Famine says I don't care." =)

That aside, remember that Kykar makes tokens and the Hammer makes anything huge by itself. I can just let Kykar have all the cool equipment and keep his flying and put the Hammer on a Spirit and have two big attackers instead of one. Or I can just give Kykar trample. Or Kykar is dead right now and the Hammer goes to a creature without flying, anyway, so there's no downside.

Point is, there are options =)

BTW, a followup from the same game: after I killed the Meren player, the other opponent managed to kill Kykar. So I untapped, cast Kazuul's Toll Collector and smiled (yes, I had a source of haste in there). GG.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-17 4:18 am 

I really like the look of this.

Have you given any thought to Anointed Procession? I know it's not cheap anymore.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-17 10:03 am 

Thanks! =)

Anointed Procession is a sensible suggestion, but I think I don't have enough token generators to make it worthwhile, yet. Yes, I have Kykar, but something like Saheeli, Sublime Artificer is cheaper and makes tokens even without my general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-28 4:00 pm 

Notes after some more games:

—My mana base sucks. Only have one fetch and one shock, no filters, just some lower-class duals etc. At least the fetch is Scalding Tarn, which is by far the most expensive one, but still, I get color screwed beyond plain bad luck. I also found a stray Land Tax in my collection that would probably serve me well here.

—Playing this deck is full of interesting and meaningful choices. Who to equip, sac or keep the tokens, spend mana on threats, equip costs or draw—there's always something, but not to the point of being overwhelming. Definitely still firmly in the "getting used to playing this" phase, that's for sure.

—Commander damage is the most common way of finishing people off, but regular damage is not too far behind. Kazuul's Toll Collector and Heavenly Blademaster especially seem to be building up their frag count.

—Kykar's tokens themselves are a very strange comodity here. While this version of the deck doesn't overtly abuse them in the sense of casting host of small spells to make a proper army/mana source out of them, they do have their subtle presence—a chump block here, sac one or two for mana there, equip one to spread my power over there... It adds up, but it mostly slips past my opponents' radars, which helps me to not stand out too much at a given table. Insert Joker meme here.

—I think I should include some small blue draw spells like Ponder. Something to make cheap tokens while smoothing out my draw. So far, my draw is either expensive like Future Sight or conditional like Sram, Senior Edificer. That's revealing itself to be a problem. I don't need to ramp ahead, I just need to make sure not to miss land drops. Seriously, thinking of replacing Sram with Ponder right now...

—Need to get some more top-tier Equipment—Umezawa's Jitte, Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of Sinew and Steel and Hammer of Nazahn are the priority ones.

—Wrath resilience seems good. It's an Equipment deck after all. However since both my general and his entourage have built-in evasion, all I really need are two or three good pieces and I'm punching through for meaningful damage, so not even artifact removal hurts that much. It helps that I run some nasty enchatments to back me up. Kykar is cheap enough that recasting him remains an option for a reasonably long time, plus I run Fires of Invention as backup.

—Overall, I'm content with how the deck is shaping up. The hiccups I've mentioned above are not serious and/or are easily fixable. It does what it's supposed to do—be a fun twist on a regular Equipment deck—and that's what matters.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-29 12:03 pm 

Antis wrote:
—I think I should include some small blue draw spells like Ponder. Something to make cheap tokens while smoothing out my draw. So far, my draw is either expensive like Future Sight or conditional like Sram, Senior Edificer. That's revealing itself to be a problem. I don't need to ramp ahead, I just need to make sure not to miss land drops. Seriously, thinking of replacing Sram with Ponder right now...

I know it's still conditional, but would Mystic Remora work better in your group than Sram?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-29 5:37 pm 

I already run Rhystic Study, plus my last copy of Remora was part of the trade that got me Sword of Feast and Famine, so... =)

Plus that upkeep would probably get in the way unless it was in my opening hand. I think I'd rather the small spells. And Sensei's Divining Top. I need that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-01 11:30 am 

Antis wrote:
I already run Rhystic Study, plus my last copy of Remora was part of the trade that got me Sword of Feast and Famine, so... =)

Plus that upkeep would probably get in the way unless it was in my opening hand. I think I'd rather the small spells. And Sensei's Divining Top. I need that.

Yeah, it was somewhat of a tossup. Sometimes the card can be quite solid yet other times just won't work out. Oh, one other small possibility: Idol of Oblivion. If you're consistently creating tokens, especially the turn you cast this card, it should make for pretty solid card draw. Plus, it's easy on the mana. Just trying to think of some good stuff for you.

Offline Profile