Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 6:18 pm

Post subject: Kenrith Twins
AgePosted: 2019-Jan-31 5:57 am 

Posting mostly for storage/reference, but, open to comments/questions/suggestions.

Commanders:
Will Kenrith
Rowan Kenrith

Creatures:
Wild-Field Scarecrow
Solemn Simulacrum
Torrential Gearhulk
Thing in the Ice
Keranos, God of Storms
Deepglow Skate
The Locust God
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Spellskite
Spellseeker
Snapcaster Mage

Artifacts:
Izzet Signet
The Chain Veil
Gilded Lotus
Thaumatic Compass
Worn Powerstone
Thran Dynamo
Sol Ring

Enchantments:
Leyline of Anticipation
As Foretold
Search for Azcanta

Sorceries:
Time Warp
Walk the Aeons
Savor the Moment
Temporal Mastery
Temporal Trespass
Tezzeret's Gambit
Treasure Cruise
Blasphemous Act
Chain Reaction
Sweltering Suns
Mizzium Mortars
Vandalblast

Instants:
Nexus of Fate
AEtherspouts
Evacuation
Starstorm
Cyclonic Rift
Quicken
Brainstorm
Dig Through Time
Fact or Fiction
Reality Shift
Lightning Bolt
Chaos Warp
Mystical Tutor
Counterflux
Force of Will
Cryptic Command
Mystic Confluence
Disallow
Mana Drain
Invert // Invent

Planeswalkers:
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
Chandra, Flamecaller
Dack Fayden

Lands:
Maze of Ith
Command Tower
Volcanic Island
Sulfur Falls
Steam Vents
Temple of Epiphany
Izzet Boilerworks
Flooded Strand
Arid Mesa
Polluted Delta
Misty Rainforest
Scalding Tarn
Wooded Foothills
Bloodstained Mire
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds
Halimar Depths
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Reliquary Tower
Arcane Lighthouse
Detection Tower
Desolate Lighthouse
Kher Keep
8x Island
9x Mountain

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kenrith Twins
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-26 1:19 am 

Just picked up the Twins, as I figured the price would spike once people realise that they are in the new set. Have you tried out this deck? Is it fun? I think this could be more fun than the old Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest deck I had. I had not even thought about Wild-Field Scarecrow in forever, maybe not ever as I was kinda suprised by it.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kenrith Twins
AgePosted: 2019-Jul-28 3:51 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Just picked up the Twins, as I figured the price would spike once people realise that they are in the new set. Have you tried out this deck? Is it fun? I think this could be more fun than the old Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest deck I had.

This is my listâ„¢ and played a couple of dozen games with it; I bought the Kenrith twins a week or so after release for about $10 each (you can tell the hype was still up because they both had the same dollar value). My group is less friendly to using things like Jokulhaups or Obliterate, so, my list doesn't have them (but they'd fit right in!). I just ordered the foil datestamped ones online last week for my collection, actually :D

It's... fun. Ish. It often feels pretty non-interactive. I'll say how games with it have gone, and then talk about the problems with it.

If people focus you, you wipe their boards (sometimes at instant speed with Leyline or Quicken). Eventually you just get a walker or two and some extra turns, and it's all over. Will's emblem will make infinite turns (for practical purposes) at some point, where you will be able to draw or dig for an extra turn card, or so much control that the set of turns your opponents get is irrelevant. Actually closing out the game is hard; some people will scoop after a few extra turns, and they're probably right to do so. It's pretty hard to lose once you have an emblem or three (because you can have multiples, and the Rowan emblem pretty much insures that future emblems arrive in pairs or more).

The games become less fun over time. Basically, it feels like a waiting game where players don't know well enough to attack you, and then you kind of win slowly out of nowhere. It feels excessively punishing to 'fair' decks who are just trying to turn creatures sideways. But, then, this list isn't actually competitive; at tables where people have explosive endgames, there isn't really enough control to make it work. You can table walkers quickly, but, it's actually really hard to protect them.

I plan on rebuilding the deck to be more in line with a Shu Yun style deck. I want to run cards like Murmuring Mystic and Young Pyromancer. I kind of want the twins to be secondary, and for Rowan's abilities to matter more. I like how they dovetail with each other.

Quote:
I had not even thought about Wild-Field Scarecrow in forever, maybe not ever as I was kinda suprised by it.
I was really pleased with myself for Wild-Field Scarecrow's inclusion. He does decent work protecting walkers, or finding lands.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile