Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-20 12:48 pm

Post subject: Orzhov Apostles (Athreos, God of Passage)
AgePosted: 2018-Dec-23 1:03 pm 

Commander - (1)
1 Athreos, God of Passage

Creatures - (40)
28 Shadowborn Apostle
1 Blood Artist
1 Zulaport Cutthroat
1 Edgewalker
1 Rotlung Reanimator
1 Ranger of Eos
1 Teysa Karlov
1 Indulgent Tormentor
1 Harvester of Souls
1 Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
1 Angel of Glory's Rise
1 Rune-Scarred Demon
1 Razaketh, the Foulblooded

Instants - (5)
1 Urborg Justice
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Renounce
1 Return to Dust
1 Utter End

Sorceries - (5)
1 Immortal Servitude
1 Living Death
1 Secret Salvage
1 Merciless Eviction
1 Vindicate

Artifacts - (10)
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Expedition Map
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Orzhov Signet
1 Gate to the Afterlife
1 Phyrexian Altar
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Mind's Eye
1 Thrumming Stone

Enchantments - (5)
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Remembrance
1 Black Market
1 Dictate of Erebos
1 Martyr's Bond

Lands - (34)
9 Plains
18 Swamp
1 Cabal Stronghold
1 Crypt of Agadeem
1 Godless Shrine
1 Homeward Path
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Orzhov Basilica
1 Reliquary Tower

Credit goes to Josh Lee Kwai from The Command Zone for the original build.

Strategy is to pressure opponents into losing life every time you sacrifice Shadowborn Apostle with Athreos, God of Passage while also controlling the board state with Demons. Phyrexian Altar is the bread and butter of this deck since it's unable to function properly without it.

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2019-Jan-08 3:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Orzhov Apostles (Athreos, God of Passage)
AgePosted: 2018-Dec-24 3:25 pm 

This deck REALLY needs a Rotlung Reanimator. Preferably in addition to the Xathrid Necromancer, but replacing it if necessary.

Card Slinger J wrote:
Phyrexian Altar is the bread and butter of this deck since it's unable to function properly without it.

Might want to come up with a plan B for that - countermagic and artifact hate are both things you can reasonably expect to encounter.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Dec-25 8:38 am 

Liliana, Heretical Healer would actually be a better fit than Rotlung Reanimator and Xathrid Necromancer, plus when she flips over to Liliana, Defiant Necromancer she can control the board with her +2 by having everyone discard a card not to mention that Edgewalker makes her a 2 drop since she herself also counts as a Cleric before becoming a Planeswalker.

Harsh Sustenance could be useful as an extra copy of Tendrils of Agony. Thrumming Stone definitely needs to be in this deck for giving Shadowborn Apostle ripple 4 not to mention that it's a lot more consistent than Assembly Hall. I wonder If I should swap out Grave Pact and Black Market for Liliana's Contract and Axis of Mortality for politics?

I could try to even out the number of instants and sorceries in this deck by adding in cards such as Ghostway and Eerie Interlude for protecting my Shadowborn Apostle's including Mausoleum Secrets for tutoring a black card with CMC equal to the number of Shadowborn Apostle's in my graveyard though I'm drawing a blank for other good instants to add into this deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Dec-25 3:22 pm 

Card Slinger J wrote:
Liliana, Heretical Healer would actually be a better fit than Rotlung Reanimator and Xathrid Necromancer,

Care to elaborate on that? You're replacing "Sacrifice a [human/cleric]: Create a 2/2 zombie" with a one-shot make a zombie and get a frankly underwhelming walker. I don't see her +2 as board control - making everyone pitch their worst card once per turn at sorcery speed isn't going to have a very big effect on the game in most situations, and the ability to spam zombie tokens seems pretty good with things like, say, Harsh Sustenance. What you have here is a deck that wants to be snackrificing creatures over and over and over again, and profiting from doing so. Rotlung/Xathrid are IMO much more suitable for this purpose. If you need anything, it's MORE ways to snackrifice for profit. Attrition seems like a good bet for starters.

Card Slinger J wrote:
I could try to even out the number of instants and sorceries in this deck

Why? What purpose does balancing card types serve you? Better to pick cards that are relevant to your strategy and/or help shore up your vulnerabilities. Speaking of which, you are pretty vulnerable to mass graveyard hate effects like Rest in Peace. Having artifact/enchantment hate would serve you well.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Dec-25 7:24 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Care to elaborate on that? You're replacing "Sacrifice a [human/cleric]: Create a 2/2 zombie" with a one-shot make a zombie and get a frankly underwhelming walker. I don't see her +2 as board control - making everyone pitch their worst card once per turn at sorcery speed isn't going to have a very big effect on the game in most situations, and the ability to spam zombie tokens seems pretty good with things like, say, Harsh Sustenance. What you have here is a deck that wants to be snackrificing creatures over and over and over again, and profiting from doing so. Rotlung/Xathrid are IMO much more suitable for this purpose. If you need anything, it's MORE ways to snackrifice for profit. Attrition seems like a good bet for starters.
Fair enough though I think I could put Living Death to better use over Attrition including Urborg Justice. Might add in Renounce to sacrifice my Shadowborn Apostle's in response to a board wipe as well.
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Why? What purpose does balancing card types serve you? Better to pick cards that are relevant to your strategy and/or help shore up your vulnerabilities. Speaking of which, you are pretty vulnerable to mass graveyard hate effects like Rest in Peace. Having artifact/enchantment hate would serve you well.
Just added some artifact / enchantment hate that should suffice.

Offline Profile