Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-15 12:59 pm

Post subject: Viperion's 32 deck challenge: WBR/Mardu: Edgar Markov
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-11 6:14 pm 

ImageImageImageEdgar MarkovImageImageImage

Theme: Vampire Tribal Aggro

Link to deckstats deck list: https://deckstats.net/decks/5132/21051- ... v-vampires

Decklist:
// Vampires
Adanto Vanguard
Anowon, the Ruin Sage # also removal
Bishop of Rebirth
Blood Baron of Vizkopa # Lifelink
Blood Seeker
Bloodline Keeper
Bloodline Necromancer
Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
Butcher of Malakir # also removal
Call to the Feast # Lifelink
Captivating Vampire
Chancellor of the Dross # also messing with life
Dark Impostor # also removal
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief # also removal
Falkenrath Aristocrat
Gifted AEtherborn # Lifelink
Kalastria Highborn # life, sometimes
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet # Lifelink
Kazarov, Sengir Pureblood
Licia, Sanguine Tribune # Lifelink
Malakir Bloodwitch # life
Markov Blademaster
Markov Warlord
Mathas, Fiend Seeker # removal, sort of
Necropolis Regent
Olivia, Mobilized for War
Olivia Voldaren
Patron of the Vein # also removal
Rakish Heir
Sanctum Seeker # life
Sangromancer # life
Stromkirk Captain
Tithe Drinker # Lifelink
Vampire Hexmage # removal (for planeswalkers)
Vampire Nighthawk # Lifelink
Vicious Conquistador
Viscera Seer
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter # Lifelink, also removal

// Messing with the opponent
Blind Obedience
Master Warcraft
New Blood
Profane Command
Syphon Mind

// Messing around with life totals
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim #not a vampire, who knew
Blood Tribute
Exsanguinate
Sanguine Bond
Sanguine Sacrament
Sorin, Grim Nemesis
Well of Lost Dreams

// Removal
Crackling Doom
Harsh Sustenance # life
Merciless Eviction
Mortify
Return to Dust

// Other
Black Market
Blade of the Bloodchief
Door of Destinies
Heirloom Blade
Skullclamp
Stensia Masquerade

// Mana
Orzhov Signet
Sol Ring
Akoum Refuge # life
Bloodfell Caves # life
Bojuka Bog
Boros Guildgate
Cinder Barrens
Command Tower
Dragonskull Summit
Evolving Wilds
Forsaken Sanctuary
Kabira Crossroads # life
Nomad Outpost
Opal Palace
Orzhov Guildgate
Path of Ancestry
Rakdos Guildgate
Scoured Barrens # life
Stone Quarry
Temple of the False God
Terramorphic Expanse
Urborg Volcano
Unclaimed Territory
Wind-Scarred Crag # life
3 Mountain
3 Plains
8 Swamp

// Sideboard
Edgar Markov #!Commander

Notes/Comments: This is basically the Edgar Markov pre-con with some cards added to give the deck some late game. The manabase in particular needs work. Having now listed the deck out there's a lot of life gain going on - I'd be open to ways on capitalising on that. However, I won't be adding Exquisite Blood, or more correctly, if I do I'll be taking Sanguine Bond out.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Last edited by Viperion on 2018-Nov-26 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Viperion's 32 deck challenge: WBR/Mardu: Edgar Markov
AgePosted: 2018-Oct-11 6:14 pm 

Most recent update:

28/11/18
-1 Blood Artist (coming out to go in the Gruul-Zhov deck)
-1 Falkenrath Noble (coming out to go in the Gruul-Zhov deck)
+1 Adanto Vanguard
+1 Vicious Conquistador

17/11/18
+1 Kazarov, Sengir Pureblood
-1 Mountain (too many lands)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Last edited by Viperion on 2018-Nov-26 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-11 6:15 pm 

Cards wanted:

Bloodchief Ascension (right? Got to. Right?)
Twilight Prophet
Kazarov, Sengir Pureblood (added)

Last edited by Viperion on 2018-Nov-16 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-12 12:51 am 

So maximizing how many vamps you have is pretty important with Edgar, but I found Drana’s Emissary to be incredibly slow. Like you said you will gain a ton of life anyways from other sources. Whip of Erebos and Patriarch's Bidding are great ways to get there when they have wrathed away all your stuff.

As far as outlets for all that life go, Vona, Butcher of Magan is super versatile. Phyrexian Arena, Ancient Craving, and other pay life to draw cards would be very strong as well. I have not tried out Bloodtracker but I think it might be pretty good as long as it is not exiled.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-12 1:16 am 

Oh hey, look, Viperion is playing another commander I also have a strong attachment to!

Unfortunately this one is a lot more recent and in recent times, I've played a lot less Magic than I did in years past. So I didn't really get to spend as much time with dear ol' Edgar as I'd have liked. My thoughts on this will be less complete, and my opinions are held with much less conviction of belief. But I'll share them anyway, 'cause why not.

So, right off the bat, when playing the unmodified precon, I noticed that I actually won or at least came closer to winning more games in which I drew slower, more control-ish hands, than I did by just curving out perfectly. This felt counter-intuitive to me, at first, but I rolled with it when I started making changes to the list.

Of course with the actual Vampire portion of the deck, I streamlined and squashed the mana curve as much as I could. I probably lowered the average CMC of just the creature base by like 2 mana. Lean and mean, but with a few mid- and late-game bombs for those occasions when such are needed.

But the rest of the deck was VERY heavily bent toward "control" cards. In this case, that basically just meant card-draw and removal. Basically my philosophy was that I wanted to:
- answer EVERYTHING
- never, EVER run out of cards
- drink ALL the blood

And, ideally, in that exact order. Oh, and I also had a small but important discard package (just stuff like Syphon Mind or Unnerve that hits everybody and provides me with good Card Advantage).

My early vampire plays were sacrificial pawns. Ideally they'd either be Skullclamp fodder or just something like Bloodghast where I totally don't care if it dies to my own board wipe. But I would use them to try to bait out my opponents into either deploying their creatures as blockers or popping off their own sweepers.

I would run out JUST enough vampire muscle to get in a few points of early chip damage, and make my opponents think I was going to be the Beatdown in that game. Put 'em on the defensive, but force them to use resources. Then try to get them with some mass-discard and a sweeper. Suddenly they all have no board presence and, at best, only a couple of cards in hand, while I'm sitting on a decent sized hand, probably with 1 or 2 draw spells and some cheap, fast aggro vamps.

Then I was free to just flood the board as hard and fast as I could, with much less fear of a Wrath. Sure one would still get me here and there, but with all the draw I was packing I could usually weather the first one okay. More than that, and I was still gonna be in real trouble.

Issues with this approach included drawing the wrong mix at the wrong time. Sometimes I'd just draw the aggro nuts hand and take one player down in a flurry of fangs and arterial spray, the lose to a salvo of sweepers and spot removal.

Also, the discard package was critical, but I didn't want very many of these cards, and only wanted ones that were good in multiplayer, so that limited my options. This meant that sometimes the one part of my plan that would not materialize in time would be the discard. Going on the offensive while everyone still has semi-full hands is a bad idea but sometimes you'd have no choice.

And sometimes, I'd get into position to go on the offensive just as planned but would only draw big, clunky top-end vampires and have to "flood" the board one vamp at a time.

I didn't get to stick with the deck long enough to iron out all these issues and I ran far too many cards strictly for theme/flavor reasons and never found the will to cut those. Probably never would have, anyway! Despite that, the deck was kinda surprisingly good. Edgar Markov is just a really strong commander. Kinda wish he wasn't Mardu though, just because as much as I love Edgar, I just love Queen Marchesa even more.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Oct-12 5:30 pm 

So this is irrelevant to this deck, but I've always wondered if there are enough Sorin, Grim Nemesis / Baleful Omen / Twilight Prophet cards to build a GIANT cmc deck around. Something something tutors, plus repeatable ways to restack cards on top of your deck, like Haunted Crossroads, Penance, Widespread Panic...

thaumaturge wrote:
Of course with the actual Vampire portion of the deck, I streamlined and squashed the mana curve as much as I could. I probably lowered the average CMC of just the creature base by like 2 mana. Lean and mean

I'm gonna second this. I haven't tried Edgar, but I played BW vamps for a while with Vish Khal. It was pretty fun, but I had the same problem as thaumaturge. I had trouble drawing the right mix of cards, and a lot of games I would get clogged with midrange 4-6 drops in hand.

At the time, there wasn't much fix for it, but now there's a ton of great, cheap vampires from. Some of the ones I think are especial standouts:
Oathsworn Vampire (Edgar's a cast trigger, and this guy's cheap enough to sac + cast multiple times a turn... machine gun with Vish Kal, plus other handy stuff)
Adanto Vanguard
Asylum Visitor
Bloodcrazed Paladin
Drana, Liberator of Malakir (first strike effectively makes her a lord)
Falkenrath Exterminator and Guul Draz Assassin (generally cheaper + more power than the Dark Imposter)
Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle
Legion Lieutenant
Champion of Dusk (one of the few beefier vampires I'd run)

Basically, look for cheap guys that generate advantage (either making/pumping vampires, drawing cards, or killin stuff). Alot of your current list is just beaters (admittedly, some terrifying beaters, but beaters all the same -- lookin at you Licia).

The other vampire Bishops are pretty neat too. They're a little bit more expensive, but Bishop of Binding is solid even in a non-tribal list, and Bishop of the Bloodstained is probably worth playing (yes, it's worse in every way than Malakir Bloodwitch, but she's amazing... anything in the same category is probably good enough).

Speaking of cast triggers, you might want more cards to recur critters to your hand... Oversold Cemetery? Disturbed Burial? Once you have a few, some of the vampire cantrip creatures like Gatekeeper of Malakir, Martyr of Dusk and Dusk Legion Zealot start looking much better.

I dunno how you feel about non-vampires in your deck, but the incarnations like Anger, Glory, and Filth are all great. Pawn of Ulamog was always handy in my swarm-y death decks (wrath my board? fine. pay the Debt to the Deathless)

Last thought: Anthems. Like Anthem of Rakdos

Offline Profile