Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jan-20 12:46 pm

Post subject: Parade Floats
AgePosted: 2017-Feb-19 5:39 am 

Welcome to my Magic Day Parade!

"Here you'll see a number of favorites as our wonderful parade progresses, and the first of them are just coming into view...it's Avatar of Woe! Wow does she look good this year. We'll see a number of the darker folk from the Mono-Black crowd, but for now they've paired her with the Bogardan Hellkite balloon for nostalgia. They are making a really great start to this celebration. What do you think, Ken?"

"Well Bob, I have to confess some hope that we'll soon see the five Alara greats--Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Hellkite Overlord, Prince of Thralls, Empyrial Archangel, and Godsire. Unfortunately, I've gotten some word from the organizers that their Godsire balloon is currently out of commission and they weren't able to grab a new one before putting the parade into motion. Now, to make up for this we should be seeing it's replacement--the Nicol Bolas balloon--following along behind. It's a much older, but very favorite balloon, even with all its edges whitening from the sun. Now before we keep going about all the balloons, maybe you can talk about some of what we have on the ground?"

"Yeah, certainly! So it's definitely a festival at the Crossroads here, with Treasury Thrulls leading some of the floats, like our Santa float. Braids makes for a really great Santa, handing presents to all the kids, and...oh wow! The Elvish Pipers are out in force today! I've always loved the sound of bagpipes, and you can tell they take a lot of effort getting their march just perfect from their instruments and uniforms to their music. Now following them, if you can see, are some Somberwald Sages with their Birds of Paradise. These birds are very well trained for all the noise coming up from the crowd today, even if the crowd sometimes stampedes from their presence."

"Thank you for that, Bob. Remember folks, the Boros Guild is out in force today, so please be safe and courteous of the parade. Last year there was an unfortunate incident of a large lizard breaking through the ground, and we had to quickly evict--I mean, evacuate the streets. These balloons and floats are here for your entertainment. We're going to cut to commercial and be back to the parade shortly."

Commander:
1x Progenitus

Creatures: 33
1x Angel of Serenity
1x Arbiter of the Ideal
1x Ashen Rider
1x Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1x Avatar of Woe
1x Birds of Paradise
1x Blightsteel Colossus
1x Bogardan Hellkite
1x Braids, Conjurer Adept
1x Elvish Piper
1x Empyrial Archangel
1x Hellcarver Demon
1x Hellkite Overlord
1x It That Betrays
1x Magmatic Force
1x Metathran Aerostat
1x Myojin of Life's Web
1x Necropolis Regent
1x Nicol Bolas
1x Prime Speaker Zegana
1x Prince of Thralls
1x Regal Behemoth
1x Reya Dawnbringer
1x Sheoldred, Whispering One
1x Somberwald Sage
1x Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1x Stonehoof Chieftain
1x Sunblast Angel
1x Teneb, the Harvester
1x Terastodon
1x Thraximundar
1x Treasury Thrull
1x Tromokratis

Artifacts: 5
1x Aetherworks Marvel
1x Chromatic Lantern
1x Darksteel Ingot
1x Fellwar Stone
1x Mercadian Lift

Enchantments: 9
1x Aid from the Cowl
1x Call of the Wild
1x Concordant Crossroads
1x Deadbridge Chant
1x Fires of Yavimaya
1x Impromptu Raid
1x Lurking Predators
1x Oath of Druids
1x Wild Evocation

Instants: 5
1x AEthermage's Touch
1x Brainstorm
1x Festival
1x Krosan Grip
1x Summoning Trap

Sorceries: 9
1x Cultivate
1x Genesis Wave
1x Merciless Eviction
1x Mind Spring
1x Search for Tomorrow
1x Selvala's Stampede
1x Show and Tell
1x Subterranean Tremors
1x Unexpected Results

Lands: 38
1x Ancient Ziggurat
1x Evolving Wilds
1x Exotic Orchard
1x Flood Plain
6x Forest
1x Halimar Depths
4x Island
1x Jungle Shrine
4x Mountain
1x Murmuring Bosk
4x Plains
1x Rocky Tar Pit
1x Rupture Spire
1x Sandsteppe Citadel
1x Savage Lands
1x Seaside Citadel
1x Spinerock Knoll
4x Swamp
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Throne of the High City
1x Transguild Promenade

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the idea of this deck is pretty straightfoward: cheat big baddies into play. These nasty creatures kinda 'float' around in my hand or deck waiting for the opportunity to drop to the ground for some fun. It's not meant to be super good and will probably play out worse than your average Mayael the Anima deck (shoot, I need to find another copy of her for this deck...), but having all five colors is useful for playing out some of the popular legends and creatures from Magic Lore and EDH antiquity...

...well, not really antiquity, but still. Card draw is need in slightly more force. I have a few good pieces of card draw, but a few of those don't really further the theme very well. And there's only so many slots for card draw too. The deck is mostly ramp, cheat spells, and big creatures. To make those consistent means losing spots for a lot else.

Here's a very old discussion about making the deck: If I Ran The Parade

Parade Cards:
Followed Footsteps
Horrible Hordes
Assemble the Legion
Cruel Entertainment
Queen Marchesa--sort of King and Queen of the parade image came to mind for Marchesa

Cheat Cards:
Mind's Desire
Brilliant Ultimatum
Xenagos, the Reveler
Defense of the Heart
Living End
Hypergenesis

Hypergenesis and Living End were really hard to cut, but I don't have consistent ways to take advantage of them.

Big Baddies:
Soul of New Phyrexia
...lots of cards could go here.

Card Draw:
Lifecrafter's Bestiary

I went with hard draw over this, but I'm still considering it.

Offline Profile