Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-19 10:58 pm

Post subject: BRAAAAAAAINS (Sedris Zombie Tribal)
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-07 9:58 am 

Note: It is not a good idea to attempt to write up a decklist while being attacked by Zombies. Your list may end up looking like the following:

GENERAL BRAAAAAINS
1 Sedris, the Traitor King

CRE-BRAAAAAINS
2 Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
3 Thraximundar
4 Dralnu, Lich Lord
5 Laboratory Maniac
6 Undead Warchief
7 Mirror-Mad Phantasm
8 Havengul Lich
9 Lord of the Undead
10 Balthor the Defiled
11 Nantuko Husk
12 Deathbringer Thoctar
13 Graveborn Muse
14 Urabrask the Hidden
15 Undead Alchemist
16 Sedraxis Alchemist
17 Lava Zombie
18 Gravecrawler
19 Diregraf Captain
20 Cemetery Reaper
21 Geralf's Messenger
22 Corpse Connoisseur
23 Corpse Harvester
24 Death Baron
25 Grave Titan
27 Withered Wretch
28 Necrotic Ooze

PLANESW-BRAAAAAAINS
29 Jace, Memory Adept
30 Liliana Vess

ENCH-BRAAAAAAINS
32 Conspiracy
33 Warstorm Surge
34 Rooftop Storm
36 Elemental Mastery
37 Mana Echoes
38 Rhystic Study
39 Null Profusion
40 Pandemonium
41 Attrition
42 Secrets of the Dead
43 Endless Ranks of the Dead

SORC-BRAAAAAINS
44 Zombie Apocalypse
45 Living Death
46 Damnation
48 Exsanguinate
35 Profane Command
49 Stitch Together
57 Dread Return
50 Demonic Tutor
51 Vampiric Tutor
52 Beseech the Queen
53 Army of the Damned
31 Deep Analysis

INSTA-BRAAAAAINS
54 Cruel Revival
55 Terminate
56 Rend Flesh
58 Fact or Fiction

ARTI-BRAAAAAINS
26 Lightning Greaves
47 Oblivion Stone
59 Coat of Arms
60 Dimir Signet
61 Rakdos Signet
62 Phyrexian Altar
63 Altar of Dementia
64 Sol Ring
65 Cloudstone Curio

LAND-BRAAAAAINS
66 Unholy Grotto
67 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
68 Cabal Coffers
69 Vesuva
70 Tolaria West
71 Ancient Tomb
72 Badlands
73 Volcanic Island
74 Underground Sea
75 Blood Crypt
76 Steam Vents
77 Watery Grave
78 Bojuka Bog
79 Drowned Catacomb
80 Crypt of Agadeem
81 Temple of the False God
82 Tectonic Edge
83 Reliquary Tower
84 Exotic Orchard
85 Bloodstained Mire
86 Scalding Tarn
87 Polluted Delta
88 Crumbling Necropolis
89 Crosis’ Catacombs
90 Ghost Quarter
91 Nephalia Drownyard
92-94 Swamp
95-97 Island
98-100 Mountain

Is the deck GOOD? Nooooo, no. This deck is awful. It's ZOMBIE TRIBAL for Bob's sake. But I am hoping it is at least fun to play, and would appreciate suggestions towards that end. I imagine the block will provide all budding zombie masters with an ongoing stream of goodies we can use for this deck in any case...

Sedris, the Traitor King: BRAAAAAINS (Zombie Tribal)
Zedruu, Group Pickpocket (Pillowfort Test of Endurance deck. You heard right)
Ghave, Guru of Dumb (Token Control)

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Last edited by herodotusjr on 2012-Jan-23 11:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: BRAAAAAAAINS (Sedris Zombie Tribal)
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-07 5:23 pm 

I'm going a similar route (once Innistrad is spoiled in full), but going dual tribal with Goblins/Zombies/Goblin-Zombies! If you keep Sedris as your commander, you may want to find room for Sundial of the Infinite. Keeping your creatures around after unearthing them is pro.

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 2:09 am 

my Sedris includes not only the sundial but some transmutes to find it. Might be helpful.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 3:01 am 

where's the lifegain?

I've been exploring Damia sage of Zombies and I find that graveborn muse eats your life quite quickly. You also have tap to make all players lose equal life, so you need some way to ensure you can live with that easier than your opponents.

Also zombie master gives all your guys swampwalk which is useful as you are playing urborg, and the regen might be nice to.

adaptive automaton is both a lord and a zombie

Did geth, lord of the vault run over your dog? I can'ty think of any other reason why you would leave him out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 3:19 am 

herodotusjr wrote:
Note: It is not a good idea to attempt to write up a decklist while being attacked by Zombies. Your list may end up looking like the following:
GENERAL BRAAAAAINS
1 Sedris, the Traitor King
TheDoctor wrote:
If you keep Sedris as your commander, you may want to find room for Sundial of the Infinite. Keeping your creatures around after unearthing them is pro.

From the M12 FAQ
Quote:
* If Sundial of the Infinite's ability is activated before the end step, any "at the beginning of the end step"-triggered abilities won't get the chance to trigger that turn because the end step is skipped. Those abilities will trigger at the beginning of the end step of the next turn. The same is true of abilities that trigger at the beginning of other phases or steps (except upkeep).

So from this I understand that when you activate the Sundial the unearthed creatures won't be exiled right away but rather at the next end of turn (the opponent to your left.) Does the replacement effect still apply as well or can you sacrifice the creature with impunity?

herodotusjr wrote:
Is the deck GOOD? Nooooo, no. This deck is awful. It's ZOMBIE TRIBAL for Bob's sake.

Blasphemy!! My Bob deck is feared and hated for its brilliance!!

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 5:44 am 

We're not unreasonable. I mean, no-one's going to eat your eyes.

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 6:24 am 

Wouldn't you be able to use it in response to the triggers though? Effectively countering them?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 7:51 am 

FinalLogic wrote:

Darn tootin'!!

That's such a good song.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 9:59 am 

zimagic wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
If you keep Sedris as your commander, you may want to find room for Sundial of the Infinite. Keeping your creatures around after unearthing them is pro.

From the M12 FAQ
Quote:
* If Sundial of the Infinite's ability is activated before the end step, any "at the beginning of the end step"-triggered abilities won't get the chance to trigger that turn because the end step is skipped. Those abilities will trigger at the beginning of the end step of the next turn. The same is true of abilities that trigger at the beginning of other phases or steps (except upkeep).

Well that sucks. :? So explain how Teferi's Veil gets around this (which I see in many Sedris decks)? Also, does Teferi's Veil return Zombie tokens after phasing?

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 11:08 am 

zimagic wrote:
FinalLogic wrote:

Darn tootin'!!

That's such a good song.

In case anyone reading this thread is confused by these posts (although I would hope the nerd overlap is high):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMiDZIY1bM. You're welcome.

TheDoctor wrote:
Well that sucks. So explain how Teferi's Veil gets around this (which I see in many Sedris decks)? Also, does Teferi's Veil return Zombie tokens after phasing?

IANAJ, but this is my understanding of how phasing interacts with unearth:
1) Unearth happens. The unearthed creature gets a counter over its head a la the old Final Fantasy "Doom" spell.
2a) The unearthed creature attacks. At end of combat, it phases out, but because of the way phasing is worded in the CR it doesn't actually leave play, so the trigger doesn't go off.
2b) You end turn, expecting SBE to get rid of your unearthed creature. But no! Because phased out creatures are treated as though they don't exist, they aren't technically around for the trigger to go off. For some reason. (Tokens go away at this point because once they leave play they poof out of existence. This kind of foolishness is, BTW, why phasing is a deprecated keyword.)
3) Your opponents take their turn and hit their end steps. The creature is STILL treated as though it doesn't exist, and so the Unearth fails to trigger.
4) Your untap phase rolls around, and the phased critters phase in. "Oh boy," says the unearth trigger, "NOW I'm going to eat those bastards."
5) Not so much. The trigger says "at the end of the NEXT end step", and that happened during your last turn. Because the creatures were technically still in play (even though they totally weren't... I hate this damn mechanic) they don't reset the trigger, and are in the clear.

I suppose I could put the Veil in this deck somewhere... But I can't be arsed to explain the above every time I play the card, so screw it. I'll just play Essence of the Wild in my deck with Humility and Godhead of Awe instead...

jayem wrote:
Did geth, lord of the vault run over your dog? I can'ty think of any other reason why you would leave him out

GETH KILLED MY UNCLE. But it's OK, I hated that guy. The real reason is that I didn't have room and he wasn't as thematic as some of the other zombies in here. (Same reason there aren't more Drain Life effects.) Once I try the deck and see who's not pulling their weight in brains, there will be substitutions.

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 1:01 pm 

herodotusjr wrote:
GETH KILLED MY UNCLE. But it's OK, I hated that guy. The real reason is that I didn't have room and he wasn't as thematic as some of the other zombies in here. (Same reason there aren't more Drain Life effects.) Once I try the deck and see who's not pulling their weight in brains, there will be substitutions.

Bitch better have my brains!

Not half. Not some. but ALL my brains.

Thraxiumundar - Sacrifice Effects
Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro - Shaman Tribal Ramp
Darien, King of Kjeldor - Go Ahead and Attack
Talrand, Sky Summoner - Nothin' but Counters, Bounce & Draw

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-03 7:47 am 

Updated with Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, now that the full set is spoiled and I've gotten to play around with it on Cockatrice:

-Reassembling Skeleton +Mirror-Mad Phantasm
Hmm, I wonder if there's something a Zombie deck can do with dumping some or all of its deck into the bin... hmm...

-Ulamog +Laboratory Maniac
As long as I am dumping my deck into my bin, I might as well have a way to win off of that. He goes in for Ulamog because Ulamog will actively prevent winning this way.

-Gempalm Polluter +Urabrask the Hidden
-Shepherd of Rot +Anger
Both removed cards are dependent on the number of Zombies in play and may or may not actually do anything. Both added cards shore up a weakness I noticed, i.e. once I Living Death my yard back into play they're just sitting there like chumps, waiting to be wrathed. Kill 'em all that turn, I say. (Because someone will ask: I will sac Anger to Nantuko Husk or Grimgrin first, THEN swing with a million hasty guys.)

-Kagemaro, First to Suffer +Sutured Ghoul
This is my plan B in case I can't find any of/have milled all of my Living Death effects. Sadly, I can only kill 1 person at a time this way.

-Vengeful Pharoah +Lightning Greaves
So Flavorful! Alas, not as good as his flavor suggests. Meanwhile I need a way to make sure that the Sutured Ghoul I just played can swing that turn, or else to make sure that Dralnu doesn't get Disintegrated for 15. Seems bad.

-Liliana of the Veil +Grimoire of the Dead She may be tearing up Standard but she's just not doing enough in this deck. Meanwhile, I still like Living Death.

-Tombstone Stairwell +Elemental Mastery
Somehow I missed that you destroy the zombies at the end of every end step. Ohhhh, THAT'S why nobody plays that card. I will console myself with an infinite combo for Grimgrin.

-Oversold Cemetery +Profane Command
Great in Savra, but too slow here. As for the Command, after a few games playing with Mana Echoes and resolving Army of the Damned, I said to myself, "Wow, 156 mana is a lot. I should probably find more things to sink that into." (This may turn into Comet Storm if I find too often that I am blasting one guy into the ground and am unable to find a creature with CMC 156.)

-Decree of Pain +Oblivion Stone
"Wow, Artifacts and Enchantments really hose this deck. I should probably put in at least one think to deal with those."

-Brainstorm +Dread Return
Legacy-tested, EDH-approved!

-Swamp +Nephalia Drownyard
3 cards isn't a lot, but as Depeche Mode reminds us, Everything Counts (In Large Amounts).

gaijinguy wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-03 2:39 pm 

You're missing Grave Titan! I know he's not a zombie, but he makes them! A great zombie for EDH is Anathemancer which really hurts enemy multicolored decks. Coffin Queen is fun but she's pretty squishy and dies to pretty much anything. I personally love Fatestitcher. He can untap Grimgrin without sacrifice, untap your Cabal Coffers and has Unearth so you can use him in a pinch after he dies. Fleshbag Marauder is another one of my favorite zombies. Him and Mimic Vat are best friends. Gloomdrifter is pretty much a one-sided Infest on a stick that can ruin a token deck's day. Helldozer can blow up lands, especially pesky non-basics like Maze of Ith etc. Phyrexian Delver is reanimate on a stick. Zombie Master is pretty awesome with Urborg (as someone mentioned) though if your opponent is playing Thraximundar or Lord of Tresserhorn, you're dead.

I also think that Sutured Ghoul is kinda meh since you exile the cards taking away any chance to reanimate them.Laboratory Mechanic isn't that great because you're going to lose if they have spot removal. Also I don't think that Grimoire of the Dead will end up being that great since it will take three turns to get it active and puts a huge target on your head.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-03 8:31 pm 

Wayne Viktorius wrote:
You're missing Grave Titan! I know he's not a zombie, but he makes them! A great zombie for EDH is Anathemancer which really hurts enemy multicolored decks. Coffin Queen is fun but she's pretty squishy and dies to pretty much anything. I personally love Fatestitcher. He can untap Grimgrin without sacrifice, untap your Cabal Coffers and has Unearth so you can use him in a pinch after he dies. Fleshbag Marauder is another one of my favorite zombies. Him and Mimic Vat are best friends. Gloomdrifter is pretty much a one-sided Infest on a stick that can ruin a token deck's day. Helldozer can blow up lands, especially pesky non-basics like Maze of Ith etc. Phyrexian Delver is reanimate on a stick. Zombie Master is pretty awesome with Urborg (as someone mentioned) though if your opponent is playing Thraximundar or Lord of Tresserhorn, you're dead.

I also think that Sutured Ghoul is kinda meh since you exile the cards taking away any chance to reanimate them.Laboratory Mechanic isn't that great because you're going to lose if they have spot removal. Also I don't think that Grimoire of the Dead will end up being that great since it will take three turns to get it active and puts a huge target on your head.

Good suggestions. I may yet put Grave Titan in for that very reason; same with Helldozer, who is going in the paper version of this deck (i.e. the version where I don't have all of the duals ;) Fleshbag Marauder may still find a spot, as may Zombie Master (though I don't like that he doesn't pump dudes, I DO like that he gives them all evasion).

Yeah, Sutured Ghoul... I think he may just go in for 1v1 games with this deck because of his all-in-ness, as you mention. I really want to have a beater along those lines in that slot, like Soulless One or Unbreathing Horde, but the problem with those guys is that they don't have evasion, whereas the Sutured one at least has trample. I dunno. I'm going to play with the deck and see how it goes. The Grimoire, too, is slow, but it does have the side effect of letting me dump inconvenient things into my bin, and if it DOES go off it's pretty saucy, so we'll see.

As for Laboratory Maniac, he's really mostly as a backup win condition in the event that somehow dumping my library into my graveyard doesn't win me the game instantly anyway. I'm not going to TRY to win with him, though you can be pretty sure that if I do get him out with no library he's getting some boots put on him ;)

gaijinguy wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-23 11:30 am 

As most of the cards I'm getting from DKA slot into this deck, the Zombie Horde demanded an update. Who am I to deny the Horde?

-Geth, Lord of the Vault +Havengul Lich: Yes, yes, they do different things, but they serve the same niche, and Geth doesn't let me abuse my OWN Graveyard. They're getting swapped. Deal with it.
-Vengeful Dead +Diregraf Captain: I am trading out the ability to hit every player for an additional lord to let the Horde itself hit every player. Seems fair.
-Anger +Gravecrawler: Haste is going to be less relevant when my guys ETBT, so I can afford to cut this guy. For the moment. I hope.
-Lich Lord of Unx +Geralf's Messenger I have never gotten the Lich Lord to work properly; most of the time he reads "UB, T: Make a zombie, get hit by a wrath effect before you can spare UUBB." Too slow. Next!
-Sutured Ghoul +Grave Titan: Yeah, OK, you guys were right about Sutured Ghoul. It seemed like a good idea at the time!
-Zombie Infestation +Secrets of the Dead: This may become Call to the Kindred but for now I'm too nervous about that card being an aura to use it.
-Patriarch's Bidding +Zombie Apocalypse: BRAAAAAAINS. Non-symmetrical effects are good, I hear.
-Grimoire of the Dead +Deep Analysis: I wanted this card to be good so badly, but it's just too damn slow. Sad panda. I will console myself with delicious, delicious card advantage.

gaijinguy wrote:

Offline Profile