Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Dec-18 7:16 am

Post subject: Re: Anyone else working on the 32 deck challenge?
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 2:22 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
Thanks for the input, you two! :D

Segrus wrote:
spacemonaut wrote:
- I'd like to make a Jeskai deck but I've got no compelling strategy to work with in there that resonates with me and gives me an opportunity for creativity. (I don't want to do Another Narset Free Spells deck, for instance.)

Jeskai is one of the last decks I made to complete the challenge. When looking at the five available commanders, the pickings seemed pretty slim to me. Narset is typically hated on for being played the same way every time. Numot being played is unheard of, because land destruction is generally avoided. Zedruu I'm sure is fun for some people, but it also seems like the same deck every time (although there are some tribal variants which probably aren't horrible). So you're left with Ruhan and Shu Yun, both of which feel too open-ended that it's hard to feel any one theme works best with them.

I ended up with Narset and made a theme deck. It's not perfect and often plays a similar game as most Narset decks, but at least it's not busted to pieces.

It's such a relief to read all of that -- it's not just me who has that experience! Ruhan's just "you're gonna attack somebody" (well ok if you insist), and Shu Yun or any Partner combination doesn't suggest any particular game plan, so it's hard to figure out what to really do with these decks. Then like you said, the others go so far the opposite way they only ever really have one basic deck plan, so I don't get to bring much creativity to bear.

Originally I tried drafting out a deck based around getting as many casting triggers as possible to trigger Prowess and Prowess-like triggers (Strongarm Monk, Soulblade Djinn, Young Pyromancer, Talrand, Sky Summoner) using multicasting spells (Rebound, Spelltwine, Talent of the Telepath, etc) and maximizing off of it with World At War and Waves of Aggression... but that wound up looking like a deck that would "go off", do some enormously scary stuff, and then return to being fairly weak in every other player's turn, during which time those other players would be alarmed enough to finish me off before it happened again. The only way to make it not be a death sentence was to ensure that when it went off it'd combo so hard it finishes the game decisively, which I don't think is very fun.

A friend made a Voltron deck out of Shu Yun, but I'm looking at other color combinations for Voltron (especially now Mardu with Licia, Sanguine Tribune).

No problem. :)

I forgot partner combinations, so I thought I'd come back and say something about them.

Ludevic is...well...I just don't really care for that one, which leaves Kraum and Bruse, or Kraum and Akiri for me. Neither of those seem terrible, honestly. They'll both be very combat-oriented, of course, but maybe different enough from Ruhan to be worth investigating.

EDIT: :shock: I think I might try to make Numot of the crap dragons deck. You know, one of these days I'm going to complete the 30-ish deck challenge entirely with dragons.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 7:20 am 

spacemonaut wrote:

It's such a relief to read all of that -- it's not just me who has that experience! Ruhan's just "you're gonna attack somebody" (well ok if you insist), and Shu Yun or any Partner combination doesn't suggest any particular game plan, so it's hard to figure out what to really do with these decks. Then like you said, the others go so far the opposite way they only ever really have one basic deck plan, so I don't get to bring much creativity to bear.

Originally I tried drafting out a deck based around getting as many casting triggers as possible to trigger Prowess and Prowess-like triggers (Strongarm Monk, Soulblade Djinn, Young Pyromancer, Talrand, Sky Summoner) using multicasting spells (Rebound, Spelltwine, Talent of the Telepath, etc) and maximizing off of it with World At War and Waves of Aggression... but that wound up looking like a deck that would "go off", do some enormously scary stuff, and then return to being fairly weak in every other player's turn, during which time those other players would be alarmed enough to finish me off before it happened again. The only way to make it not be a death sentence was to ensure that when it went off it'd combo so hard it finishes the game decisively, which I don't think is very fun.

A friend made a Voltron deck out of Shu Yun, but I'm looking at other color combinations for Voltron (especially now Mardu with Licia, Sanguine Tribune).

niheloim wrote:
I had fun with a Zedruu un-grouphug deck, where I play a lot of enchantments that mess with the board state or make life interesting/difficult for people that work even when donated.

That's one I explored originally! It's cool to know someone else explored that before me. I was looking at just using enchantments that don't care who the controller is, and handing them out for cards and lifegain. I wasn't sure where to go with it though: there had to be a "rest of the deck" and I wasn't sure what that should be. I think I need more J*nny-ish complexity in how my cards interact with each other and their commander, because apparently I have to make life hard for myself. (lol)

I also wanted to avoid shutdowns like Aggressive Mining or Steel Golem, so it was tricky to figure out which cards messed with people enough but not too much. (Maybe I should open or look for a Strategy topic about that.)

If only Zedruu also had black, she'd be so much more deviously fun. And maybe also banned. :P

With Ruhan I went Giant Tribal, rather than Commander attacks at random. I went with Ruhan just because I wanted to play Frost Titan and Rite of Replication. Otherwise it would have been Brion.

As for Zedruu... I've seeded my deck with a number of little themes. I went with Counters- So Walkers and Enchantments like Iceberg and Decree of Silence to go along with Clockspinning. I managed it once to land Decree and Rule of Law with the Clockspinning in hand. It was great.

To go along with the Walker and Enchantments I went with a mild destruction theme- Jokulhaups and Obliterate leave walkers and enchantments alone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-11 11:59 am 

I already have 60+ whole Commander decks built, I think I have all 32 color combinations in that. I do have all the precons intact as well. I'll have a look tomorrow just to check and see if I am missing any, then build them of course. The 5 color decks hurt the most, being fully Dual'd, Shock'd, and Fetch'd out, but I only have 3 of those. I've probably spent too much money on this game but whatever. It's fun!

Edit: Because I cannot spell my way out of a wet paper bag.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-12 10:07 pm 

Segrus wrote:
EDIT: :shock: I think I might try to make Numot of the crap dragons deck.

You made me laugh hard... this might be a way better plan than my idea of Ruhan.
Of yourse, you all know Ruhan is a Giand WARRIOR...!?

P.S.:
Thinking a little more about it, I might really adopt your idea and make it Numot of the REALLY crap dragons, meaning Numot the DrakeVestator...

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-13 12:56 am 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Segrus wrote:
EDIT: :shock: I think I might try to make Numot of the crap dragons deck.

You made me laugh hard... this might be a way better plan than my idea of Ruhan.
Of yourse, you all know Ruhan is a Giand WARRIOR...!?

P.S.:
Thinking a little more about it, I might really adopt your idea and make it Numot of the REALLY crap dragons, meaning Numot the DrakeVestator...

You're welcome to it! I'm glad you like the idea. I keep wanting to use Numot or find a way that people would be alright with him hanging around. I did put together a list with cards I had lying about after I made that response.

Dragons:
Archwing Dragon................................Hypersonic Dragon
Predator Dragon................................Stormwing Dragon
Mana-Charged Dragon................................Shivan Hellkite
Crimson Hellkite................................Roxis Bladewing
Mordant Dragon................................Shivan Dragon
Flameblast Dragon................................Preyseizer Dragon
Akoum Hellkite................................Firestorm Hellkite
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind................................Warmonger Hellkite
Skyline Despot................................Ancient Hellkite
Spawn of Thraxes................................Furyborn Hellkite
Thunder Dragon

Other Creatures:
Dragonlord's Servant................................Dragonspeaker Shaman
Mindwrack Liege

Planeswalker:
Nahiri, the Harbinger

Artifacts:
Ruby Medallion................................Semblance Anvil
Darksteel Ingot................................Triassic Egg

Enchantments:
Curiosity................................Mystic Remora
Chained to the Rocks................................Dragon Breath
Nahiri's Machinations................................Oblivion Ring
Always Watching................................Crucible of Fire
Seance................................Marshal's Anthem
Flameshadow Conjuring................................Heretic's Punishment

Instants:
Pyroblast................................Condescend
Blazing Shoal................................Starstorm
Boros Charm................................Snap
Impulse................................Counterspell
Counterflux................................Sarkhan's Triumph
Fact or Fiction................................Miraculous Recovery

Sorceries:
Rush of Knowledge................................Mind Spring
Subterranean Tremors................................Vandalblast
Earthquake................................Bonfire of the Damned

This is an extremely rough list, and there's dragons in there I want to replace (because they aren't 'crap'--which in this case could mean actually bad, or just bargain-bin rare). I need to work on the balance between "funny, because it's bad" and "completely unplayable." All of this was just what I could find among my good/rare stuff, but there's plenty of places left to look. There should be a few power ranger dragons from Tarkir around somewhere that need to be located. I don't know, it's just a start--it's so rough I could sandpaper my face with it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-14 7:06 am 

Numb crap dragons is awesome!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-15 12:51 am 

Aren't the really crappy dragons by definition drakes?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-15 3:31 am 

Myself wrote:
Numot the DrakeVestator...

aye, sir

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-15 3:57 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Aren't the really crappy dragons by definition drakes?

The thought cam to mind, but I've a decent number of actual dragons that never get used so here's my chance. I can always make a drake deck with someone else.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-24 6:30 pm 

slomotion wrote:
logic has no place in the 32 deck challenge!

:P

I know. It's so confusing.

Offline Profile