1 Rakdos Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Izzet Guildgate
1 Orzhov Guildgate
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Simic Guildgate
1 Selesnya Guildgate

The main goal of the deck is to enchant Karona, False God with enough Vows to swing for 21 or more Commander damage while gaining as many evergreen keywords (First Strike, Flying, Swampwalk, Haste, and Trample) onto her with the Judgment Incarnations (Valor, Wonder, Filth, Anger, and Brawn) in my graveyard as much as possible. Maze's End serves as an alternate win condition with Burgeoning, Stone-Seeder Hierophant, and Amulet of Vigor though I have contemplated on running Manabond alongside it. Maze of Ith, Kor Haven, and Homeward Path are the most important lands in this deck for keeping Karona, False God in check under my opponents' control plus it's also great with Zur the Enchanter for getting his attack trigger to tutor for an enchantment with 3 CMC or less without him dying from a blocked creature with deathtouch.

With my opponents wanting to sacrifice Karona, False God under their control Assault Suit, Angelic Renewal, and Saffi Eriksdotter were instant auto-includes. I was initially worried that I'd end up getting stuck with a Stasis build with a Voltron theme built in to anger players at the table which I'm glad it doesn't since things can get really annoying with Meekstone, Juntu Stakes, Crackdown, and Marble Titan which was the strategy I almost went with for this deck as a way to deter attacks by force even though it would slow them down from getting off specific creature based combos that require an activated ability to tap for them. This deck also runs a lot of Landfall combos which is why I run Retreat to Coralhelm/Tideforce Elemental with Knight of the Reliquary to filter out my lands while combo'ing out in much the same way with Thawing Glaciers while getting Landfall triggers through Lotus Cobra, Undiscovered Paradise, Drownyard Temple, and Ghost Town.

The two creature types I choose with Patriarch's Bidding are either Human, Avatar, or Incarnation (Underworld Cerberus works similar except the creatures go to hand instead on the battlefield when it dies) so that when I swing with Karona, False God they all gain the +3/+3 bonus especially If I have an Incarnation that boosts them while attacking as well preferably Anger for haste as long as I don't have to worry about Graveyard hate with Witchbane Orb, Leyline of Sanctity, and/or Aegis of the Gods unless things get out of hand in which I need to use Elixir of Immortality without creating too much of a target on myself with Stony Silence and Null Rod since it also shuts down Mana Rocks from players who lack Green for ramp. With graveyard hate becoming more prevalent in the format I need some way to deal with Scavenger Grounds unless the player running it has hexproof or shroud on themselves and sadly cards like Strip Mine and Ghost Quarter do nothing to stop it.

Since I'm lacking artifact/enchantment removal I figured why not turn them into creatures with Opalescence and Titania's Song while forcing them to attack using Bident of Thassa, Fumiko the Lowblood, and Instigator and block with my creatures using Vault of the Archangel to give them all deathtouch? Mirrorweave was added as a way to take advantage of the board state since I didn't want to risk running March of the Machines without blowing up any lands. I'd also like to run some life gain as well with my only options narrowing down to Congregate, War Report, Blunt the Assault, and Dryad's Caress. As far as creature control goes I figured tapping down my opponents creatures while attacking with Retreat to Coralhelm and Tideforce Elemental seemed more efficient than running Royal Assassin and Intrepid Hero though I might reconsider putting them in If I decide to run Awakening and Seedborn Muse.

Any other help, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2017-Jul-23 10:46 am, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karona, False God Voltron
AgePosted: 2017-Jul-10 10:19 pm 

Well if you're thinking about using Manabond, there's always Enter the Infinite and Amulet of Vigor. That'll get you a wincon with Maze's End. Though, that's a bit dangerous as someone can Beast Within one of your Guildgates...in which case the best thing to do is make sure that the card being put back on the top is Praetor's Counsel.

I wonder if Basandra, Battle Seraph wouldn't work better than Fumiko the Lowblood. Don't forget about Blazing Archon. Collective Restraint is also a card that might be of interest.

Don't forget about things that can make it indestructible.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karona, False God Voltron
AgePosted: 2017-Jul-16 3:06 pm 

I'm actually thinking about swapping out Burgeoning for Manabond to help get my win con off with Maze's End faster however I might be better off with Burgeoning so I don't end up painting a target on myself in group games. Amulet of Vigor is already in the deck so If I really wanted to abuse Maze's End I'd also need to run Seedborn Muse with Sakura-Tribe Scout and Walking Atlas with Skyshroud Ranger having been an auto include If she wasn't sorcery speed but she can still get the job done If timed right. Maze's End is just one of the few win cons this deck has aside from winning through Commander damage with Karona, False God since adding any more would just clutter the deck.

I do run a funny combo in here that's almost pillowfort but not quite enough since it forces me to tap down my own creatures instead of my opponents. The key is to have either Retreat to Coralhelm and/or Tideforce Elemental on the battlefield with either Knight of the Reliquary, Weathered Wayfarer, and Dreamscape Artist where every time I Landfall trigger with them they untap however in the case with Weathered Wayfarer it only works If I control less lands than my opponents. Theoretically I can get almost every nonbasic land out in one foul swoop unless I'm stuck with basic lands using Dreamscape Artist despite not being able to tap down my opponents creatures though I might be better off with Propaganda style abilities in here.

If I'm going to run Basandra, Battle Seraph over Fumiko the Lowblood then I'll need to swap Bident of Thassa and Instigator out for Imps' Taunt (thanks to Buyback) and Magnetic Web though Bullwhip isn't bad either. As far as Indestructibility goes with Karona, False God I did contemplate on running Indestructibility, Shield of the Oversoul, and Darksteel Plate however I felt that gaining life off of my opponents creatures with Orim's Prayer, Righteous Cause, and Blessed Reversal seemed more adequate. Running Maze of Shadows in here to keep Karona, False God in check while giving her Shadow seemed like a neat idea alongside Kor Haven and Maze of Ith where as Homeward Path helps me gain back control of her under my opponents' control in case they try to do something nasty.

Offline Profile