Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Aug-17 9:14 am

Post subject: Re: RDW in EDH
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-30 10:15 pm 

I can't believe we're having a discussion about RDW generals without having mentioned Adamaro, First to Desire. You can keep the 5-color general if you want, but Adamaro should at least be in the deck. (I think Brion Stoutarm is probably a better general, but only because I think Boros is better than Red).

I really dislike the Spiteful Visions. That's just way too much mana for not much damage, and giving them extra cards probably hurts you overall since their card quality is likely to be higher than yours once they make enough land drops to get going - which that card also helps.

Beacon of Destruction?

If you're having trouble hitting five mana - and really you should with a deck like this - you don't need to be running Fireball/Demonfire. They just don't do enough. You can get much more efficient with even lousy burn like Flames of the Blood Hand and Flame Rift (which aren't that bad actually). I'm also missing the unearth guys - Hell's Thunder and Hellspark Elemental.

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 8:55 am 

Personally, I would go with Heartless Heartless Hidetsugu as the general. I have a decklist that i use, and it does win a lot, (Multi with 40 life, 1v1 with 40 life) but its not the nicest way to play. Or at least thats what I have found. And while it doesnt do well with enchantments, Non-basic land hate, Non-basic land screw, creature kill, and lots of artifact hate usually make the enchantment problem a breeze.

Just remember that when you sit down with heartless as your general, people are gonna target you a lot, so make sure that the general isnt the only win condition.

Karametra

Recently had 16 EDH decks stolen from me, so im rebuilding slowly and im back up to 3.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-08 1:33 am 

to deal with enchantments you basically have three options:

Nev's Disk
Oblivion Stone
Chaos Warp

Gamble is the only monored tutor. Get one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-14 4:42 pm 

Id run valikut.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-29 3:13 pm 

Valukut is a must for mono red. Sure he's a non-basic hate target, but when you do draw him, he does miserable things to other people for simply playing more lands.

I'd go snow lands and Extraplanar Lense / Mana Flare since you're having some mana issues. Sure doubling your opponents mana base may seem silly, but it does so much more degenerate things in your deck.

Also, Imperial Recruiter, while pricey, is such a game changer for Red. I run one in my Kiki-Jiki deck and it is so ridiculous.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Oct-21 5:47 am 

A Firestorm for 25 targeting all my opponents and most of their creatures(saprolings helped). Lets not forget the relatively new Wild Ricochet for it.

Generally commanding Captain Sisay and Karn.

Offline Profile