Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-13 12:19 pm

Post subject: Potential watch cards?
AgePosted: 2008-May-02 8:46 pm 

What cards seem like they should be under close watch because of how much more they drastically improve in the 1v1 matchup?

The first one that comes to mind is Necropotence. It is as good as Yawg Bargain in head's up.

Skullclamp saw nuking in every format but Vintage. Then again, I think this would be pretty hard to break in this format before lots and lots of other cards Wizards have admitted were bigger mistakes.

Tinker is pretty amazing, but our fast mana not really so.

I'm not sure Flash has done enough in enough formats for me to *really* panic yet.

Any other specific cards people fear, specifically, that remain unbanned, that should maybe only be banned in duels?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-02 10:35 pm 

Besides Islands?

The first things that come to mind are Goblin Welder and Disciple of the Vault, but I doubt those are as absurd in 40-life, 100-card singleton formats.

Oath of Druids, maybe?

I'd say Tinker and Skullclamp are definitely worth looking at.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-03 8:13 am 

I play 1v1 (and team play) more than any other format.

While 1v1 requires much different strategy and card choices than typical EDH play, I honestly don't think that there are any cards to add to a watch list that one wouldn't also watch for regular EDH play (including those listed here so far).

Tinker is really good, although in both the early Tinker->DC plays I have been up against, victory was still easily had.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-03 9:12 am 

TigTigger wrote:
I play 1v1 (and team play) more than any other format.

While 1v1 requires much different strategy and card choices than typical EDH play, I honestly don't think that there are any cards to add to a watch list that one wouldn't also watch for regular EDH play (including those listed here so far).

Tinker is really good, although in both the early Tinker->DC plays I have been up against, victory was still easily had.

The escape from tinker DSC twice in a duel deserves some fleshing out with a story, please?

Rebuild? Hurkyl's? Sorceress Queen? Dream Fighter? Submerge? Condemn? Arrest?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-03 10:38 am 

We play alot of 1v1. It's not my favourite, but needs must as the devil drives.

Sol Ring is ridiculously swingy. Either of us draw it early, and it usually takes some very broken drawing to get rid of it's advatage. It's way above the curve, and deserves to go.

Nothing else strikes me as ban worthy, I don't play skullclamp, he does - I don't fear it at all. Mindslaver tends to wreck the game, we both played it for a while, and we've recently had an amnesty on it after we got tired of having the same win condition. But at 10 mana to play and activate, it's not really broken. Tinker is a bit more questionable, perhaps, because it drops it down to 7, and Tinker Colossus can be a real problem. Time Stretch is, of course, ridiculous. But broken for 10 mana - that's another question. Black Myojin is naturally frequently unwelcome.

If you play the same matchup alot then certain cards are a nuisance and one needs to account for them, but that's not really any kind of ban worthiness. I play alot of U/B decks, and Sword of Fire/Ice or Light/Shadow mess me up, but really that's just an indicator I don't have enough answers for those.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-17 3:09 pm 

Nomad wrote:
Sol Ring is ridiculously swingy. It's way above the curve, and deserves to go.

I second that. It's strong enough on its own, and combined with Strip Mine, Wasteland, and Rishadan Port it is really impossible to crawl back out.

Online Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-19 6:55 am 

It was requested that Mindslaver be cut from my decks for duels. I left it in my monored deck because it needs the boost but it's definitely actually been cut for power restriction reasons. Mind's Eye is in only one deck as well for a similar reason. Obviously Sol Ring is a choice, if both decks play it there's no issue. Actually, I would say for all three the only reason they'd need to be considered is if they weren't in both decks. So...

mindslaver
sol ring
mind's eye

All have received power limits in my decks...Sol Ring's was handled by placing it into every deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-19 8:08 am 

warble wrote:
It was requested that Mindslaver be cut from my decks for duels. I left it in my monored deck because it needs the boost but it's definitely actually been cut for power restriction reasons. Mind's Eye is in only one deck as well for a similar reason. Obviously Sol Ring is a choice, if both decks play it there's no issue. Actually, I would say for all three the only reason they'd need to be considered is if they weren't in both decks. So...

mindslaver
sol ring
mind's eye

All have received power limits in my decks...Sol Ring's was handled by placing it into every deck.

Even though Mindslaver just ends games on the spot in duals, I think Sol Ring is swingier. In the game last night when we both had Sol Ring parity and you imprinted a blank Chrome Mox, played Legermain to swap it for my Sol Ring, after you had 2 rings to my zero and I had two lands, there was no hope.

Sol Ring's power shoots up hugely in heads up games, but since there doesn't seem to be a seperate list of banning for this variant forthcoming, I guess the ring stays, since it's moot.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-19 9:27 am 

I know I'm in the minority here with team play, but for those who are curious:

In team play specifically, in non-nHG formats, Multani (as the general) is way, way over the curve. It's very difficult for every team member to keep a blocker available in this very aggressive format, and as soon as one player is open... THUMP.

He also stays quite large right to the end of the game, due to teammates' hands. A deck of Multani + 99 forests may even be viable there.

I don't feel he's busted in other formats, though. So, I simply don't pull out that deck if we're playing such a game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Hinder/Tunnel Vision
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-13 7:07 pm 

I think in duels Hinder/Tunnel Vision is a combo to watch out for, in blue you can search it up faster and its a game winner. I've personal won several EDH Tourns. at our local shop with this combo.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-13 7:41 pm 

I think, there was a time...about 3 months ago when my playgroup did the Hinder/Reito Lantern + Tunnel Vision win. It went out of favor because we started packing more counterspells. And Imp's Mischief. Oh, and some of the UG+ control decks had Gaea's Blessing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-14 6:43 am 

cmb_master wrote:
I think, there was a time...about 3 months ago when my playgroup did the Hinder/Reito Lantern + Tunnel Vision win. It went out of favor because we started packing more counterspells. And Imp's Mischief. Oh, and some of the UG+ control decks had Gaea's Blessing.

the combo felt clunky even when it was "playable"

at least that's why i cut that combo from my deck

and you remind me of last week when you-know-who tried to Painter's Servant-Grindstone the opponent only to find that he had a Gaea's Blessing in his deck :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-20 1:18 am 

Erayo is way too good to be aloud in any EDH game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-20 3:03 am 

as a general you mean ?

because, turn 5 or 6, when you have 3-4 cards in hand she's clearly less efficient.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Mana Drain
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-15 2:53 am 

Of all the cards that get better in duels, I think the one that improves the most is Mana Drain. It's a control card and I think EDH favors combo over damage based decks because the life total is higher than normal, but the only new restriction for combo is the one of rule (search is the magic word). I play mostly Zur control and table diplomacy is also a major factor in the multi-player games I play (I suspect GAA4 and Erayo players will agree).
Countering a spell and taking the mana for yourself is a proportionally larger swing against one opponent (tempo is card advantage and mana) then it is against a crowd that will throw everything they have at anyone who begins to assemble a lock. Every time I cast it at a large table, I can feel this big target appear over my head as new players, unfamiliar with the hard to find card, double-take at the text, balk at what I spend the mana on and I brace for their combined retaliation. In duels, I'm usually a lot more confident that resolving an early Mana Drain will just swing the course of the game. I'm sure there are other cards that have a similar effect; Misdirection comes to mind, but I haven't played with it yet, so I'll wait to comment.

General: Zur, the Enchanter

Offline Profile