Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Aug-16 1:54 pm

Post subject: Duel deck in EDH
AgePosted: 2009-Aug-03 2:06 am 

Hey I'm still kind of new to EDH. All the games of EDH I've played have been duels (about 10) or two-headed giant (3 I"ve played total.) Any suggestions on what's good?

I started with sorknaar the swamp king but now I switch to Garza Zol, Plague Queen. My opponent's colors tend to be blue followed by black. Blue for counters and control magic and its variants. Black for tutors and discard. Seems like every deck runs sol ring. Every blue deck runs force of will and every black deck runs demonic tutor and mind twist.

I found out howling mine isn't the best card in a duel. I found casting your general is a big mistake most of the time. You tap out and then your opponent either kills it or takes control of it. Oh yeah and Erayo seems almost impossible to beat in two headed giant edh.

Oh yeah its 40 life, I have an aggro deck its not too good lol. My opponent usually takes 15 general damage or so and then lands a control magic.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Duel deck in EDH
AgePosted: 2009-Aug-12 11:08 am 

1v1 EDH requires a different set of cards than multiplayer. Discard, efficient creatures, and cheap removal spells become much better in 1v1. Throw a deck with at least the latter two of these elements together and you've got yourself a pretty strong EDH duel deck.

Or you could just play mono blue combo...

Some players play with 30 starting life as a variation when they play 1v1 EDH.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Aug-12 11:48 am 

Norinthewary wrote:
Erayo seems almost impossible to beat in two headed giant edh

Erayo is banned in that format variation (and for good reason!). Land and artifact destruction is very powerful in 1v1, things like Boomerang, Shattering Spree, Sinkhole, Gorilla Shaman, Strip/Waste will seal the game up quickly. I'd say drawing shattering, boomerang and a strip is typically enough to win a 1v1 game. That's assuming you keep things light in the rest of the deck, try to win with a few cutpurse ophidian trygon beats instead of going overboard for a full combo win. It's easier to synergize with draw, disruption and a few tutors with beats with special abilities than to actually combo out. The best tribes are slivers, goblins and elves. Also, it's healthy to ban Rofellos from 1v1 as he pumps out things like Trinisphere, Mindslaver, Smokestack and such way too quickly. Even erayo and braids typically have trouble on the draw against Rofellos (and braids got the axe)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Aug-12 1:51 pm 

Good point...totally forgotten that 2HG had a ban list...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-13 10:47 am 

If you're looking for a good UBR General, I personally feel the best is Thraximundar. Garza Zol, Plague Queen is alright, but it has nothing on a 2-3 turn clock that either acts as a clock, or costs your opponent a creature and a chump a turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-15 3:24 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

I had a Garza Zol deck and when Thrax came out, just switched. Garza Zol is still in there, but she got demoted :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-17 2:42 am 

[off topic]With all that [good] vampires poping around those days, I'm going to switch my Garza from a "play all your good UBR spells" deck to a vampire thematic deck. I'm defenitly an addict of theme decks.[on topic]

Offline Profile