All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-15 9:03 am

Post subject: Re: Website for Duel Commander
AgePosted: 2012-Jan-31 9:11 pm 

Let me ask this:
Is Lifeforce banned?
Is Deathgrip?
How about Wrath of Marit Lage?

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-01 3:30 am 

I don't think we call cards the same way. To me, City of the solitude just like Vexing shusher are color hosers, since they'll hardly do anything vs non-blue. I may not have taken the best examples, but I was trying to make a global reasoning rather than coming down with two specific examples.

When we tested them a bit (that was a couple years ago), it appeared that the format gained little and was much less enjoyable to play. Tbh, we haven't retested since and that's not planned any soon.
Our belief is that Commander, even competitive, should be an enjoyable format to play, and close enough to the original Commander format, that has no SB.

Kevin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-01 2:47 pm 

KevinD wrote:
Our belief is that Commander, even competitive, should be an enjoyable format to play, and close enough to the original Commander format, that has no SB.

Kevin.

I understand what you're going for, but I'm making the point that 1v1 Commander by its very nature of not being multiplayer takes the social aspect of Commander out of the equation.

You're managing a competitive format but you aren't giving players all the tools associated with competitive formats, and that is going to unbalance it.

That's not ban-worthy, that's the spirit of EDH. Three-card combo involving the combat phase? Awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-01 3:38 pm 

tempesteye wrote:
KevinD wrote:

Kevin.

I understand what you're going for, but I'm making the point that 1v1 Commander by its very nature of not being multiplayer takes the social aspect of Commander out of the equation.

You're managing a competitive format but you aren't giving players all the tools associated with competitive formats, and that is going to unbalance it.

This. And how.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-02 3:16 am 

To which extent is SB mandatory to make something "competitive?"
To which extent is Duel removing the social aspect of the game?

We're indeed managing a format that we can play in tournaments, but we don't aim at making it Legacy Highlander.
That's Commander, with its own specificities.

Once again, we're not 100% opposed to seeing SBs, but that's just not amongst top priorities.

Kevin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-02 7:02 pm 

I think the point they're trying to make Kevin is that if you want to make a competitive format, then you sculpt it using competitive protocol.

Imagine Standard/Modern/Legacy/Vintage where you start out with 30 life instead of 20. Or not having access to a sideboard.

CommanderCast: Community, Strategy, and Technology: http://www.commandercast.com/

Occupy Kokusho

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-02 7:51 pm 

Pretty much all tournament constructed formats involve 60-card decks, a 15-card sideboard, allow 4 of each card, and start at 20 life.

Duel Commander uses a 99-card deck, a general, no sideboard, allows only one of each card, and starts at 30 life.

I'm not sure why people are picking the sideboard specifically as some sort of "requirement" for a balanced tournament format.

(As far as the dominance of Clique/mono-blue, a big part of the difference is that French rules don't allow tucking a commander. With that change, pure control tends to roll over to aggro control like Edric.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-03 8:21 am 

KevinD wrote:
To which extent is SB mandatory to make something "competitive?"
To which extent is Duel removing the social aspect of the game?

We're indeed managing a format that we can play in tournaments, but we don't aim at making it Legacy Highlander.
That's Commander, with its own specificities.

Once again, we're not 100% opposed to seeing SBs, but that's just not amongst top priorities.

Kevin.

Are you seriously asking me why 1v1 isn't considered social?
I'm not trying to be a dick, but, really, the entire point of a duel with prizes is TO WIN. Most players are going to bring the strongest deck possible. 1v1 isn't about hanging out and socializing with a group of your friends, it's about winning. Without the social pressure of a group, and with so much emphasis on the competitive aspect, do you really think 1v1 is any different then any of the other sanctioned formats?
I'm not saying you can't have fun while playing, but I'm pretty sure that your format attracts a much different type of player.

I appreciate you want to keep the 'flavor' of Commander. But I'm telling you that without sideboards players are forced to build the strongest decks possible, and you kind of force everyone to run the same small subset of deck types.
Sideboards would, I believe, allow a greater variety of decks to exist. But you do what you want.
It's no skin off my nose.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-03 10:12 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Lol if you go to Magic tournaments to earn profit. Outside of the PTQ/Pro Tour scene (and certain other events like Star City $5k) there is literally no way to recoup the cost of your deck (and even there your EV is crazy bad). 1v1 events really are about hanging out and socializing with a group of your friends, and that really sucks if your FNM or weekend legacy experiences are otherwise! Victory becomes a much stronger tactical focus in that environment and decks will be constructed accordingly, but the events are still all about being a part of a group of nerds. There's a small minority of folks who will pay a lot of money for the insubstantial prize of victory itself (see: Commander at Gen Con) but even those guys spend most of their time at the event just hanging out (see: Commander at Gen Con).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-12 3:28 pm 

Just had a look at your site. Interesting read, though I notice that you haven't updated per the December 2011 bannings (Erayo, Shaharazad) even though you note the unbanning of LED. I believe those all happened at the same time, didn't they?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-12 6:00 pm 

This sounds like ALOT of fun
personally i love 1v1 for EDH because if your playing beat downs in multiplayer it just feels like you never gonna get there

but i don't think SBs are necessary, play tutors with one or two color hate cards?

99 one of's is very different from 60 up to 4 copies plus 15 card side board

However I'm sure the Vendilion Clique should be ban'd as general, just seems so powerful

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Feb-12 8:07 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Lol if you go to Magic tournaments to earn profit. Outside of the PTQ/Pro Tour scene (and certain other events like Star City $5k) there is literally no way to recoup the cost of your deck (and even there your EV is crazy bad). 1v1 events really are about hanging out and socializing with a group of your friends, and that really sucks if your FNM or weekend legacy experiences are otherwise! Victory becomes a much stronger tactical focus in that environment and decks will be constructed accordingly, but the events are still all about being a part of a group of nerds.

Word to the Ki-moon.

I just started playing 1 v 1 EDH today here in chilly Ottawa and it is LOADS of fun.
I brought my Edric deck and did "ok" (5th out of 15, only match loss to Rafiq :) ) but even the "hardcore" decks were not too douchey. It was all about sitting down, having some sodas and making cool plays.

Here's what people were playing:

2 Rafiq (one Aggro, one control)
1 Edric (Combo-Control)
1 Godo (Smashy Land control)
1 Wydwen Control
1 Ghaeve (Super cool Doubling Season shenanigans <3 this deck)
1 Onmath (Cool deck, just FAT FAT FAT!!!!!!!!!)
1 Skulking Grave? (GB guy that keeps counters, Infect side plan)
1 Olivia (Janky pinger)
1 Progenitus (Oddball stuff)
1 Reaper King (Casual with those multi-creatures forget their name)

Even the players with crazy collections weren't playing too much insanity. It was just 14 nerds sitting down and (mostly) entering the red zone. We use 40 life and the official list + partal paris, for all it matters.

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-19 9:25 am 

For those who are interested in 1v1 play and are using the Duel Commander banlist, the last update says :

Quote:
Edric, Spymaster of Trest is banned as a commander.
Ancient Tomb is banned.
Fastbond is unbanned.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-05 8:11 am 

Edric ban long overdue for this format, good job there.

Jugan, the Rising Star - Lifeblood Hydra is good, who knew?
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - ETB and Felidar Guardian-Oath of Teferi shenanigans.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Bridgehead Westboro for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile